Does this look like a key ,scratch or hit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does this look like a key ,scratch or hit?

Hi all,

I recently parked my RDX for about 8 hours , and yes I should have parked farther away.

Anyways,

After I got out I saw a white line on the left rear bumper.

I just want advice and opinions , on whether I should take this to a autobody to get it fixed, or do you think I can remove myself ? Product recommendations are helpful too.

Maybe this person was just jealous .

Thanks Azine
Attached Thumbnails Does this look like a key ,scratch or hit?-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
It's too hard to tell with a pic.

Just use polishing compound (any kind, does not matter) and rub/polish it out. Wax will work too, just takes longer.

Use a damp rag and add polish/wax and rub the area. Like washing a window with a tough stain. Just keep the polish localize to the area on the car and on the rag... keep the areas moist with polish/wax.
The following users liked this post:
banana13 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Aren't painted bumpers great??? They are the dumbest thing ever invented. Bring back chrome. When I blew up your picture, it looks like your are into the layer of paint. Polish will remove the "rub", but the scratch will need some touch up paint. It's the first of many. Don't drive yourself crazy with bumper scratches.....just touch them up.
banana13 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If that is the bumper, it looks like someone lightly hit you or a shopping cart dragged against it. Bumpers flex so if someone hit you at an angle it wouldn't necessarily be dented.

It would be an odd place for someone to key. Maybe a row of shopping carts was pushed into it. Stores are not responsible for cart damage, but if the clerk pushed the carts into the car maybe they are but good luck getting them to review the cameras and admit to it.

Have to park far away and end spots, no other way, parking lots are a landmine. People are so lazy, jealous, and disrespectful of other peoples stuff. Some kid threw a branch at my car and the dad didn't even reprimand him.
banana13 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
Some kid threw a branch at my car and the dad didn't even reprimand him.
Ridiculous. In the Walmart parking lot, lol?

We had collective grief recently in the S2000 forums. Some guy returned to his S2K in the parking lot to find a random kid sitting on his front fender while the father was tying the kid's shoes.
banana13 (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys for the advice.

Yeah so basically I was at a winners parking lot , and I saw some constructions guys and I tried to park away from them , when I went to the store and came out those guys left.

Plus my bumper was facing towards the store .

Hopefully I can go back today and ask to see the security footage , because I remember the time place and date of when this happened .

When I find the idiot who did this , I'm going to make him pay for this, either he has to pay for a auto-body to fix this or he can give me a gift card because if he is willing to pay for a polish and polisher , then I will do it myself.

Either way insurance probably has me covered.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Also would this be cosidered hit and run, the construction people had like trucks and equipment .
Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Pro

Pretty hard to discern what is happening in that photo. But it does look like it might come under the proverbial "it'll buff right out" category with a dual action polisher, with the right pads and polish combo.

A great series of posts for working on the soft black Acura paint:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-1/
5 Acuras (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks Kaputnik, for the link I will look into it and try to do this and see what happens.

I tried to call the store manager to see if they can look into the cameras outside the store, unfortunately the lady got very offended as if I was trying to say it was their fault.

Not a big deal , I'll just have to fix it my self.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
You can make them review the footage if you file a police report. But really I feel this small scratch may not be worth the trouble. We all get these at times unfortunately. Anyways good luck.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Ridiculous. In the Walmart parking lot, lol?

We had collective grief recently in the S2000 forums. Some guy returned to his S2K in the parking lot to find a random kid sitting on his front fender while the father was tying the kid's shoes.
Nah in a public park. I was sitting in my car reading the paper and I hear and feel a loud thunk. I look up and the dad and kid are walking, get out and see the branch and mark on my bumper. I give the dad a serious WTF look, NO apology, nothing. Kid looks high on skittles. It is a 7 year old Honda so I don't really care. If it was brand new, I would be calling the cops. If I did that my dad would beat me, and pay for the guy's car to get fixed.

I came out of the gym once, and a kid was leaning on my bumper talking to a girl. I set the panic off before he saw me coming, and he jumped 10 feet. The girl was cracking up. I was happy i sent the message without a confrontation.

I just don't get it, I don't touch or damage other people's stuff no matter what.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
man some mofo angers me very much...

hope that buffs out
Old 06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
So much bad advice in this thread.

Do NOT use polishing compound unless you know what you are doing. Polishing compound can really screw up a finish.

Do NOT go to a body shop. Body shops know little about paint care.

Step 1 - wash the car using a proper wash mitt and soap formulated for cars.

Step 2 - can you feel the scratch with your fingernail? Does it feel raised or like a scratch. If raised, then it is paint transfer.

Take another picture with the area clean. That way we'll be able to tell you next steps. In either case it appears from the picture you provided that it is easily fixable if you do it right.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Okay Ceb.

I just cleaned it up and I will be sure to post pics tommorow.

If you could also let me know what polisher you use, and the polishes and the best combo of polishes to use on soft paint, grading them from least swirly and minor scratches and marring, to the most and more serious type of paint conditions.

I know it can be kinda hard to tell from a picture.

Also I want to know some good polishes from over the counter like meguairs , and if I don't have a DA, what should I use as an alternative.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Instructor

My dealer is also crazy too, when I went for my second oil change, I told them not to wash my car. When I picked it up it was washed and fully of swirls
Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by banana13
Okay Ceb.

I just cleaned it up and I will be sure to post pics tommorow.

If you could also let me know what polisher you use, and the polishes and the best combo of polishes to use on soft paint, grading them from least swirly and minor scratches and marring, to the most and more serious type of paint conditions.

I know it can be kinda hard to tell from a picture.

Also I want to know some good polishes from over the counter like meguairs , and if I don't have a DA, what should I use as an alternative.

Everybody has their favorite products that they swear by. IMO, regular cleaning and protecting using any quality product will give you a decent shine.

If your paint has swirls from a carwash, then there is little you can do by hand. Consider getting it professionally detailed (ask in your regional forum for suggestions) and then study up on polishes and techniques to keep it up.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use ScratchX - I can lend you some if you want. You have to really rub it in though. Be sure to clay bar your car if you want to keep it looking and feeling new.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 7Heaven
I use ScratchX - I can lend you some if you want. You have to really rub it in though. Be sure to clay bar your car if you want to keep it looking and feeling new.
The product - in general - is less important than technique and experience. After years of detailing, I can remove many imperfections with a paper towel and the strongest polishing compound. A novice would screw up their paint using that.

ScratchX, a product sold virtually everywhere in a small yellow bottle, can remove many imperfections if used properly.

That's why I'm waiting on a better picture to advise the OP.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
Couple of thoughts on this one. First, I agree that the picture of the scratch doesn't make it clear whether it's just paint transfer or whether there's a scratch down to the primer (or the plastic underneath). The solution will vary depending on the level of scratch. I've used Scratch-X with some success, although careful use of more aggressive compounds would be more successful - but that's something you don't want to experiment with on your shiny bumper (I learned on my '68 Mustang in college during the 70's just how soft paint can be with rubbing compound...sigh...). The easiest method is to try some liquid wax first and some elbow grease and see how far it gets and go from there.

Second, about looking to see who did it and holding them accountable. It's possible that the person who bumped it might not have even known they did it. The scratch appears to have barely touched the bumper, and it probably didn't even make the RDX wiggle at all. And while it'd not make me happy, this is a bumper in a parking lot. In many ways I agree with an earlier post that I sometimes long for the days of chrome bumpers, where in a situation like this you wouldn't even know it happened......

andy
Old 06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Here is the spot after washed and I tried to run it with some carnauba wax , but no difference. I don't see the metal base but maybe it's one layer under the clear coat.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Here is the spot after washed and I tried to run it with some carnauba wax , but no difference. I don't see the metal base but maybe it's one layer under the clear coat.

Love the socks.

Not keyed. This is a simple scrape. It could have been caused by car or it could have happened backing into a tree limb or the like. There is also a small boo-boo on the bottom left of the unpainted portion.

What would I do? Buy a small bottle of scratch-X and a microfiber cloth. Squeeze a quarter sized blob of Scratch-X on the scratch and gently (very gently) rub in the direction of the scratch for a few seconds - about 10 passes in each direction. Wipe off the scratch-X and wash that section of the car. Is it better? If so, then repeat. And repeat. At some point you'll get it as good as it will get as there may be an area where the paint is removed. Keep us posted.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Instructor

haha thanks dude .
No sweat , when I have time ill update you when I fix it with pictures
Old 07-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
haha thanks dude .
No sweat , when I have time ill update you when I fix it with pictures
This is for sure not a key scratch (thankfully Acura's seem to fall below the troll radar) but I recommend you take it to a shop and get them to professionally touch it up. Not that the advice given has not been good, just that it is honestly currently so minor, that you don't want to risk ruining it.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro

Lol, nice wheels! Yes I mean the sandals and socks

That really looks like a scrape. Some fine polish and a microfiber might do it, or maybe a medium polish like Meguiars 105, which is totally safe. But be conservative and start light. I don't think it will be a problem, based on what the photo shows.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

On a second note, why does it look like your unpainted portion is bent in the area where it connects to the painted portion?
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX10, I was noticing at the same thing. It looks to me that someone hit the bumper with enough force to damage the paint and bend the bumper shell itself while tweaking the the lower unpainted portion. I am not super familiar with the body lines of the RDX, but it looks to me the radius of the curve on the bumper has been altered. Would it be prudent to see how much/any damage was done to the things behind the shell?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VinceCL
RDX10, I was noticing at the same thing. It looks to me that someone hit the bumper with enough force to damage the paint and bend the bumper shell itself while tweaking the the lower unpainted portion. I am not super familiar with the body lines of the RDX, but it looks to me the radius of the curve on the bumper has been altered. Would it be prudent to see how much/any damage was done to the things behind the shell?

The more I look at it, the more I am unsure. I can't tell anymore if it is bent in, or bent out and reflecting light at that angle.