Didn't think I would buy another one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016 | 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Didn't think I would buy another one.

Well just came home with a 2016 RDX. I traded in my wife's 2014 RDX with 18k miles on it. I been wanting to get out of it, b/c of problems early on, and the airbag issue was the last straw, but instead of taking a HUGE hit taking it somewhere else, I decided to see if I can use my previous issues to work a deal on a new one. I must say, maybe my 2014 was a factory freak, that's why it blew it's head at 3k miles, but my 2016 doesn't feel anywhere as quick as the 2014, but I do appreciate the blind spot assist on the new one, since the old one had small mirrors compared to my Escalade, and that line in the mirror drove me nuts causing it harder to judge the car next to me.

Overall though the new car feels more solid. Steering feels heavier, radio takes some getting used to.
Old 04-04-2016 | 08:16 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

What.....?????
You just bought a new car and are complaining on day 1. Dude, just chill, relax and enjoy your car for a few months before complaining about some issues which you already knew were there. If you have a problem with the side mirrors why did you buy the same car? Did you not do a proper test drive.
Buyer's remorse on first day....!!!
In sure some of the issues will become non issues as time goes on. I simply can't believe that you just bought the same car which you were unhappy to begin with and now you are complaining again.
Of course it won't be as nice and comfortable as an Escalade.
Old 04-04-2016 | 08:19 AM
Pro

Drink'in the Kool-Aid again?

I'm sure the dealer "got you into a 2016 for the same monthly payments".
Old 04-04-2016 | 08:22 AM
Racer

The extra features of the '16 should help you cope.
Old 04-04-2016 | 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't drive the car, it is for my wife. I do like the improvements though overall. Reason I went with this car, is that a friend started working at the dealership and was able to get me a fair trade and a good deal on the new car. So overall I'm happy with that part.

Background story though:
Bought the car New Years eve 2013, Drove it for 2800 miles in 6 months and BAM, car starts to act funny and I pull over to the side. Timing belt is shredded under the hood. Acura tows it, and find out it bent a valve and blew the head. Replace 2 heads.

Then 6k miles, bring it in for an oil change, car leaks oil.

10k miles, I get misfires when I take rides longer than 1 hour.
The air bag issue was the last straw, hence I bought a new one. I like the car overall, just my wife's first one was a lemon.
Old 04-04-2016 | 08:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
I don't drive the car, it is for my wife. I do like the improvements though overall. Reason I went with this car, is that a friend started working at the dealership and was able to get me a fair trade and a good deal on the new car. So overall I'm happy with that part.

Background story though:
Bought the car New Years eve 2013, Drove it for 2800 miles in 6 months and BAM, car starts to act funny and I pull over to the side. Timing belt is shredded under the hood. Acura tows it, and find out it bent a valve and blew the head. Replace 2 heads.

The air bag issue was the last straw, hence I bought a new one. I like the car overall, just my wife's first one was a lemon.
I have a 2014 with 60,000 miles and it has been flawless. I am surprised the 16 seems less peppy than the 14 given the drive train is exactly the same.

Hope the 16 is better for you. My 14 is coming off lease shortly and I am not sure I will get another, but the 14 has been a great vehicle and I still love it.
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by disgookonfiya

Background story though:

The rdx uses a timing belt? Seriously? What company still uses timing belts anymore? What a joke.
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:19 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by RDX10
The rdx uses a timing belt? Seriously? What company still uses timing belts anymore? What a joke.
Yes. We had been warned before we bought it. Hopefully they will change it in the next generation at least.
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Yes. We had been warned before we bought it. Hopefully they will change it in the next generation at least.
I seriously can't believe that they would do this still. The 1G had a timing chain for goodness sake...why go backwards? Pretty much everyone else is using a chain, feels like yet another cost cutting attempt .
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Timing belt changes are such a pain in the ass and waste of money. God, I wish Honda would put a chain on everything. Besides maybe saving $3, I really don't see the benefit in using a belt over a chain
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:20 PM
Pro

I wonder if they would sell as many cars if people knew.
Old 04-05-2016 | 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Timing belt changes are such a pain in the ass and waste of money. God, I wish Honda would put a chain on everything. Besides maybe saving $3, I really don't see the benefit in using a belt over a chain
They are a huge pain in the ass. Also not cheap either! $1000-$2000 in some cases. I bet they save more than $3 and even then, take that $3, multiply it by number of cars sold with this engine, then take roughly 50% multply it by numbers of cars sold with these engines and multiply by cost to replace timing belt. Thats how they really make money.

Originally Posted by dirleton
I wonder if they would sell as many cars if people knew.
Timing belt wouldn't stop me from buying a new car, but would a used car.
Old 04-05-2016 | 03:33 PM
Pro

I would imagine the closer it is needing a new belt the more resale is impacted just for that reason.
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dirleton
I would imagine the closer it is needing a new belt the more resale is impacted just for that reason.
This 100%, also a lot of people are negligent with the belt. So I guess for people doing comparisons with other suvs, they should factor in the $1500 belt
Old 04-06-2016 | 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Be careful what you wish for in regards to timing chains vs belts. While I have an '08 Mini Cooper non-turbo that's not impacted, there were several years of Mini Cooper S models (w/Turbo) that had timing chain TENSIONERS go bad, and when they broke apart, the motor would grenade itself. So while I get the concept that a chain is better than a belt, it's not shangri la either. There's a class-action suit against Mini for this problem.

andy
Old 04-06-2016 | 12:28 PM
Pro

Shangri La: The base from which the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo was launched.
Old 04-06-2016 | 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Be careful what you wish for in regards to timing chains vs belts. While I have an '08 Mini Cooper non-turbo that's not impacted, there were several years of Mini Cooper S models (w/Turbo) that had timing chain TENSIONERS go bad, and when they broke apart, the motor would grenade itself. So while I get the concept that a chain is better than a belt, it's not shangri la either. There's a class-action suit against Mini for this problem.

andy
Same exact issue with the VW/Audi 2.0t engine. But it stems from manufacturers using cheap parts for the tensioner. The chain is not the problem. Really, the chain should be lifetime, including all associated parts.
Old 04-07-2016 | 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Same exact issue with the VW/Audi 2.0t engine. But it stems from manufacturers using cheap parts for the tensioner. The chain is not the problem. Really, the chain should be lifetime, including all associated parts.
Correct - but when you have manufacturers using plastic parts as components for engine timing management (regardless of a belt or chain), that's the weakest "link" and you run the risk of failure. Plus, chains can stretch over time - so even though they don't break, they can cause other issues - especially if the tensioners aren't doing their job. The concept of "lifetime" doesn't really exist, and as such, you need to keep up with checking the integrity of the timing setup regardless of the chain v. belt makeup....
Old 04-07-2016 | 10:47 PM
Advanced

I seriously can't believe that they would do this still. The 1G had a timing chain for goodness sake...why go backwards? Pretty much everyone else is using a chain, feels like yet another cost cutting attempt .
When did you see a chain on V6 Honda engine? As far as I know, V6 always used a belt. 2007 RDX used a smaller 4-cylinder engine that had a chain, but Honda 4-cylinder engines have been using a chain for a long time.

On the other hand, it is extra $1,000 to replace when you hit 90-100k miles. So once in 6-7 years. Expensive service has to be expected at that time. The only way to avoid it would be to buy an electric vehicle, Tesla or Nissan Leaf. I bet electric motors barely need any service.
Old 04-08-2016 | 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Correct - but when you have manufacturers using plastic parts as components for engine timing management (regardless of a belt or chain), that's the weakest "link" and you run the risk of failure. Plus, chains can stretch over time - so even though they don't break, they can cause other issues - especially if the tensioners aren't doing their job. The concept of "lifetime" doesn't really exist, and as such, you need to keep up with checking the integrity of the timing setup regardless of the chain v. belt makeup....
I guess what I am trying to say, is that the chain and associated parts SHOULD last the lifetime of the engine. The word lifetime even has a shit ton of vagueness. It means something different to someone else. Like I said in my previous post, having a timing belt would not stop me from buying a car, but having a timing belt would stop me from buying used.

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
When did you see a chain on V6 Honda engine? As far as I know, V6 always used a belt. 2007 RDX used a smaller 4-cylinder engine that had a chain, but Honda 4-cylinder engines have been using a chain for a long time.

On the other hand, it is extra $1,000 to replace when you hit 90-100k miles. So once in 6-7 years. Expensive service has to be expected at that time. The only way to avoid it would be to buy an electric vehicle, Tesla or Nissan Leaf. I bet electric motors barely need any service.
I am not very familiar with Honda engines in general. I never claimed to see a timing chain in a honda V6, but can name a whole whack of other brands that have moved on to the chain in their V6 and V8 engines. Like I said above, a timing belt would not stop me from buying a car new, but a belt would stop me from buying used.

An electric car is actually a really bad idea if you are trying to avoid expensive services. Are you forgetting the massive electric batteries that will fail and how they will cost THOUSANDS to replace? Lol no thanks! But it is a shame, I love sport hybrid models like the q5, cayenne, and touareg hybrid.