Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cracked Windshield

I got into my RDX yesterday morning only to be looking face to face with a 6 inch hairline crack in my windshield. There is no point of impact from a stone etc. and the crack starts at the very top edge of the windshield.

I also don't recall any impacts while driving so I was quite surprised. I'm wondering if this is a windshield defect, although proving it would be next to impossible. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Your dealer should cover this under warranty.
It is usually caused by a defect in the glass or
a small chip on the edge prior to installation.

Also improper installation onto a piece of grit
or other imperfect surface cold cause this.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GRDX
Your dealer should cover this under warranty.
It is usually caused by a defect in the glass or
a small chip on the edge prior to installation.

Also improper installation onto a piece of grit
or other imperfect surface cold cause this.
I can give it a try but not sure it will work. Although, I have to say they surprised me. My dealer delayed submitting my paperwork in time for me to have my account info to make my first payment. I contacted Acura Finance to explain I'd received no paperwork and they said the dealer made my first payment for me as it was their fault. I figured I'd get a call or letter asking for the payment and I've not received anything. Imagine a dealer taking responsibility?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by fleuger99
I can give it a try but not sure it will work. Although, I have to say they surprised me. My dealer delayed submitting my paperwork in time for me to have my account info to make my first payment. I contacted Acura Finance to explain I'd received no paperwork and they said the dealer made my first payment for me as it was their fault. I figured I'd get a call or letter asking for the payment and I've not received anything. Imagine a dealer taking responsibility?
Sure it will work. If there's no visible damage to the windshield, it's obviously a flaw or a stress crack, either of which is covered by the warranty.

Good for the dealer for making their mistake good.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI settled a class action law suit last year regarding this. It can occasionally be recognized as a legitimate defect.
Mike Todd
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor

After spending 10 mins on the phone arguing with the service rep and them going to the service manager they agreed for me to take it in and for them to look at it.

The service rep tried everything but I refused to budge. I was told probably a stone and I said there are ZERO chips on the entire shield. Then when I wouldn't accept that he said its been cold and we had a snow storm on Friday. I told him I worked from home during the snow storm and my car is garaged. Also, never in my 25 years of car ownership has a snow storm cracked a windshield. He then said your insurance will replace it. I replied why should my insurance company pay for a manufacturer defect? He then said my warranty doesn't cover it. I said if its a defect it does. :-)

We'll see how it plays out. It is hard for me to prove defect, although no chips or other marks on the shield helps. On the other hand, its hard for them to prove its not a defect either.

Last edited by fleuger99; 03-13-2013 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-11-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure cracks in 2013 RDX windshield

hi, I have a 2013 RDX I bought one year ago in June 2012. In May 2013 I had it into the dealer because the windshield was cracked and there was no stone chip of any kids - just a straight smooth crack. They replaced it under warranty. Now less than one month later, another one which comes straight down from the roof in a vertical line. No stone chips or anything. Back to the dealer this afternoon.
Other than this the RDX has been great and ACura service amazing - esp after dealing with Audi and BMW since 2005.
Has anyone else had these issues with their windshield?
The way the check is the run a pen along the crack and if there are no bumps, or chips its deemed a pressure crack. It's worth asking as a new windshield is 800CDN because the after markets shields are not out yet..
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Had the exact same thing happen to mine. It started up top right in the middle where the rear view mirror is mounted. AGain no stone no nothing that would have started it. I didn't bother dealing with the dealer since my ins covers it at no charge. So i just called and had it replaces by safelight auto glass. Took him less than an hour to have it all done.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by traceyf
hi, I have a 2013 RDX I bought one year ago in June 2012. In May 2013 I had it into the dealer because the windshield was cracked and there was no stone chip of any kids - just a straight smooth crack. They replaced it under warranty. Now less than one month later, another one which comes straight down from the roof in a vertical line. No stone chips or anything. Back to the dealer this afternoon.
Other than this the RDX has been great and ACura service amazing - esp after dealing with Audi and BMW since 2005.
Has anyone else had these issues with their windshield?
The way the check is the run a pen along the crack and if there are no bumps, or chips its deemed a pressure crack. It's worth asking as a new windshield is 800CDN because the after markets shields are not out yet..
Here there are non Acura shields but my dealer suggested getting an Acura replacement which I did. My insurance company contacted the glass firm and told them their max price they'd cover and the glass company agreed.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

We are having the same problem also. We just bought our 2013 RDX this year and we are looking at a third windshield going in. The factory one developed a horizontal crack on the passenger side about mid way starting at the extreme end of the passenger side. The tiniest minuscule chip was present, I knew at that time it was a stress crack, but we replaced the windshield at our cost 450$ anyway. Now on windshield # 2 , the exact same crack in the same place has developed!! Acura is trying to say its a chip again, but that's impossible for it to be in the same place same side. My goal now knowing its a defect of some sort is to get them to 1. Reimburse us for the first replacement cost. 2. Replace the windshield again under warranty. 3. Fix the underlying issue. Any thoughts??
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys, I registered the account just to post on this thread. My RDX bought on 2013/8 just had exactly the same windshield crack from rear mirror as mentioned in this thread. Fortunately Houston John eagle Acura said they will take care of it, so I am glad I don't have to spend time to argue with service rep as some of you did. It is clearly a manufacture defect and I hope they can address it ASAP. If you have this problem, make sure you test drive it after they fix it. I have to take my car in again because there is wind noise coming from windshield when driving because they did not seal it properly.