Cheapy Smart Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cheapy Smart Key FOB

I think the RDX has the cheesiest Smart Key FOB ever... just 9 months and most of the silver surrounding is rubbed off already. The black plastic casing is okay but, oh man, oh man, Acura ought to be ashamed of itself to use such cheapy silver chrome on its smart key fob.

Anybody know where I can got a silicone case for it? I searched all over and don't seem to find any.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (08-16-2015)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I carry my fob in my jeans pocket along with change, and you're right - the silver "plating" does come off pretty quickly.

I had silicone rubber covers for a couple of my fobs for other cars, and like you I've searched for one for the Acura without any luck. Why someone doesn't make one for Acura is beyond me, since they sell enough cars to make it worthwhile.

Hey, http://thejacketstore.com, are you listening?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura has always been cheap on the keys for whatever reason. My '08 TL had cheap keys too, but just the feel of these is much worse. Oh well, thank goodness the car is amazing to make up for it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I'm subscribed to this now as I carry my fob in my running & biking shorts, not to mention my 5.11s when training @ the range & given the time of year now, I have to dry it off thx. to the warmish TX temps.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
Well I'm subscribed to this now as I carry my fob in my running & biking shorts, not to mention my 5.11s when training @ the range & given the time of year now, I have to dry it off thx. to the warmish TX temps.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if they improved the fob in the 2014 model?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I covered mine with 3m paint protector film. Took some time to cut the small pieces, but it protects the keyfob perfectly and adds no bulk.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mikejmack
I covered mine with 3m paint protector film. Took some time to cut the small pieces, but it protects the keyfob perfectly and adds no bulk.
I bought a couple carbon fiber holders to protect my fobs on EBAY. It does add bulk but I like the carbon fiber look, even though I rarely take the fob out of my pocket because of the electronic key. Just search Acura fob holder, $6.95 including shipping
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dcpc08161992
I think the RDX has the cheesiest Smart Key FOB ever... just 9 months and most of the silver surrounding is rubbed off already. The black plastic casing is okay but, oh man, oh man, Acura ought to be ashamed of itself to use such cheapy silver chrome on its smart key fob.

Anybody know where I can got a silicone case for it? I searched all over and don't seem to find any.
I have to agree with this. My Lexus, Infiniti and even Toyota smart key fobs still looked like new after 1yr. My Acura RDX one looks very worn after only 6 months. I take decent care of it like my other fobs.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I carry my fob in my jeans pocket along with change, and you're right - the silver "plating" does come off pretty quickly.

I had silicone rubber covers for a couple of my fobs for other cars, and like you I've searched for one for the Acura without any luck. Why someone doesn't make one for Acura is beyond me, since they sell enough cars to make it worthwhile.

Hey, http://thejacketstore.com, are you listening?
Well, I think they're listening and already HAVE THE COVER! All you have to do is look where the RDX belongs....in the Honda section. Since it's a poor riding Honda for 10K more. Boy was I fooled. Anyway, check here: http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...e-Cover/Detail
The following 2 users liked this post by techman707:
hawkeye62 (07-20-2013), Mike_TX (07-18-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by techman707
Well, I think they're listening and already HAVE THE COVER! All you have to do is look where the RDX belongs....in the Honda section. Since it's a poor riding Honda for 10K more. Boy was I fooled. Anyway, check here: http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...e-Cover/Detail

Why don't you buy one and let us know if it works....The Accord keyfob looks quite a bit different.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by techman707
Huh?

Um, okay, I'll look into the cover you linked to - thanks for that part.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by cagilber
Why don't you buy one and let us know if it works....The Accord keyfob looks quite a bit different.
Actually, it looks pretty much like the Acura one to me, if the dimensions are similar.

I think I'll order one and see.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Actually, it looks pretty much like the Acura one to me, if the dimensions are similar.

I think I'll order one and see.
Please let us know how it works because I really need a good looking fob cover.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by yojcboy
Please let us know how it works because I really need a good looking fob cover.
It's on its way and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll report back on whether or not it works.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Instructor

It's on its way and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll report back on whether or not it works.
Cool. I am looking forward to hear your feedback.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
AcurAdmirer

Didn't show up today. Surely tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Yeah my 2010 TL FOB looked like hell after 3 years. The RDX's looks the same or very similar.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, still not here today. Tune in again tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Well, still not here today. Tune in again tomorrow.
OK. hope it will come tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
AcurAdmirer

Alrighty then - the cover came today. I think it's going to be fine:

The little thin strips of rubber dividing the buttons don't line up absolutely PERFECTLY, but it's a very minor thing - the buttons themselves are perfectly functional, and the main thing is that the body of the fob is protected.

Because the fob itself is pretty much a rectangle, the cover doesn't have a lot to grab onto to hold it in place like the oval cover on my old Infiniti fob:

But the material it's made of is pretty grippy and I think it will stay on just fine. If not, a small piece of doubled scotch tape on the back of the fob would certainly take care of it.

I'm glad I have it, and I recommend it to others worried about scratching and banging up their fobs. For $7.99 shipped, I think it's a bargain.

(For those who care, the link is: http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...e-Cover/Detail )

Last edited by Mike_TX; 07-18-2013 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
hawkeye62 (07-19-2013), Techgirl (07-19-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks really good....I think I'm going to order a few of these for our Acura keys (4) and see about maybe removing the strips between the buttons.

I wonder how receptive they would be to making one for modern Acuras...It can't be that difficult or expensive to make a mold.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Alrighty then - the cover came today. I think it's going to be fine. The little thin strips of rubber dividing the buttons don't line up absolutely PERFECTLY, but it's a very minor thing - the buttons themselves are perfectly functional, and the main thing is that the body of the fob is protected.

Because the fob itself is pretty much a rectangle, the cover doesn't have a lot to grab onto to hold it in place like the oval cover on my old Infiniti fob. But the material it's made of is pretty grippy and I think it will stay on just fine. If not, a small piece of doubled scotch tape on the back of the fob would certainly take care of it.

I'm glad I have it, and I recommend it to others worried about scratching and banging up their fobs. For $7.99 shipped, I think it's a bargain.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a pair.

Gregg
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
" I'm glad I have it, and I recommend it to others worried about scratching and banging up their fobs. For $7.99 shipped, I think it's a bargain ".

Mike thx for doing all the leg work here, I appreciate it & owe ya one brother.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The little thin strips of rubber dividing the buttons don't line up absolutely PERFECTLY, but it's a very minor thing - the buttons themselves are perfectly functional, and the main thing is that the body of the fob is protected.

But the material it's made of is pretty grippy and I think it will stay on just fine. If not, a small piece of doubled scotch tape on the back of the fob would certainly take care of it.

(For those who care, the link is: http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...e-Cover/Detail )
Thanks for the info Mike.

Since I nevr use the buttons on the fob, I think I will put in on to cover the buttons to prevent those "ghost" button pushes.

Thanks again, Jim
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Just ordered one silicone case for my cheaply made... but expensive to replace ACURA SMART KEY FOB . Thank you for the URL and the photos!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Because the fob itself is pretty much a rectangle, the cover doesn't have a lot to grab onto to hold it in place like the oval cover on my old Infiniti fob:

Thanks for sharing the picture Mike. It looks good to me and I will order one as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine shipped this morning. Now all I need is my RDX.

Thanks Mike!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

The thanks actually goes to Techman707, who alerted me to the Honda cover in the first place.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM
10th Gear

The Honda fob looks to be very similar to the acura body. I wonder if the case if the only difference? It would be nice to find a shell from the Honda and use the Acura guts
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going to put a cover on it anyway, who cares if the silver gets worn?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
"If you're going to put a cover on it anyway, who cares if the silver gets worn?"

<g>

I see it like a slipcover for the sofa (or car seats), back in the day: there's 2 ways to go. Put on a slipcover after a few years to cover up the worn upholstery. OR put on a slipcover when the car is new to keep the upholstery from wearing out to begin with. Your choice. Either way, a lot of sofas (and cars) wound up with slipcovers, eventually. Now I think the upholstery lasts longer, and/or people don't keep cars as long as they once did.

On an MDX I had for 7 years, by the time I traded it in a lot of the lettering had worn off the fob--I had to REMEMBER what the buttons were for, because I couldn't read them anymore. I should've put it in a holder to begin with.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by robuckj
"If you're going to put a cover on it anyway, who cares if the silver gets worn?"

<g>

I see it like a slipcover for the sofa (or car seats), back in the day: there's 2 ways to go. Put on a slipcover after a few years to cover up the worn upholstery. OR put on a slipcover when the car is new to keep the upholstery from wearing out to begin with. Your choice. Either way, a lot of sofas (and cars) wound up with slipcovers, eventually. Now I think the upholstery lasts longer, and/or people don't keep cars as long as they once did.

On an MDX I had for 7 years, by the time I traded it in a lot of the lettering had worn off the fob--I had to REMEMBER what the buttons were for, because I couldn't read them anymore. I should've put it in a holder to begin with.
That's a reasonable position to take. I got the fob cover because I want to avoid damage to the fob for resale purposes. Unlike your aunt's sofa, I don't consider the fob to be a thing of beauty or anything - but since it damages so easily I want to protect it.

Maybe it's partly that I just don't like to have things banged up, but your story of your MDX fob being worn to the point it couldn't be read is reason enough for me to get a cover.

BTW - I had the same experience with the fob for a $62,000 Infiniti M56. The silver "plastic chrome" wore off just like with the Acura fob.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
My fob really took a beating during our move. I don't think it had chipped a bit until the last three weeks. Now, it looks like it's 10 years old. I've got some extra spray-on black bedliner...

...or maybe some Rustoleum Restore, when we re-coat the front porch!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I ordered one of these and I like it pretty well. The only problem that I'm having is that the cover does not stay on the key fob very well. It seemed OK at first, but now after a month or two of use, the cover is a little looser and it comes off easily. If others are having the same problem, have you found a simple solution?

Gregg
Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
I ordered one of these and I like it pretty well. The only problem that I'm having is that the cover does not stay on the key fob very well. It seemed OK at first, but now after a month or two of use, the cover is a little looser and it comes off easily. If others are having the same problem, have you found a simple solution?

Gregg
Yeah, mine does the same thing. And it collects pocket lint.

Good luck, Jim
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To keep mine fresh...

...I give it a few layers of plastic wrap, winding it tightly and cutting off the excess. Do it with my TV remotes, too. Works like a charm.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by vbgregg

Gregg
Sadly, I've had the same experience. The straight-sided shape of the fob doesn't give the cover much to hang on to, and mine recently started coming off in my pocket. I chucked it the other day.

Oh, well - it was worth a try.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Acura Keyless Remote Jacket (acurl34)

I found Acura specific fob cover (Acura Keyless Remote Jacket (acurl34)) at http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...-Jacket/Detail

Shows currently out of stock, I called them (Roger) and able to get one (sample they had). He confirmed that it will be soon back in stock in next 2 weeks.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ambi
I found Acura specific fob cover (Acura Keyless Remote Jacket (acurl34)) at http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...-Jacket/Detail

Shows currently out of stock, I called them (Roger) and able to get one (sample they had). He confirmed that it will be soon back in stock in next 2 weeks.
I think they just made it. I looked for it about couple months ago when I posted this thread and it did not exist. I bought the one for the Honda and it seem to fit okay though.

It's funny that the beat up remote control picture probably looks like most of the RDX fob out there within months of use. I still am pretty p*ssed of about the cheapy part on RDX fob. BTW, I have a fob from Toyota Sienna for 7 years and it looks brand new... not even a scratch on it. I carry it in the same key ring as my RDX. Go figure.

I am going to order this RDX specific case for my second RDX fob.

Quick Reply: Cheapy Smart Key FOB