Broadway Mirror & K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Broadway Mirror & K&N Air Filter

I would like to have better visibility from the rear view mirror. Anybody have a Broadway or Razo clip-on mirror they've transferred to their RDX? If so, what size did you go with? I'm thinking 270mm. I want to make sure there are no issues with the thickness of the RDX mirror and make sure it's the optimal width/size.

Amazon Amazon

Also, I'm going to get a K&N filter for the RDX. The filter part for the 3.5L V6 for the Pilot/Odyssey should work since they are the same engine, correct? I just want to make sure as there is no option yet on the K&N site for the 2013 RDX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130813568290...84.m1423.l2649
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2309

And I know some folks say K&N's do nothing and/or are harmful for your engine/MAS with the oil that's on the filter, etc..(blah, blah, blah), but I (like countless others) have had K&N's in ALL our cars & family member cars and have had nothing but positive experiences. SO PLEASE no long-winded breakdowns, lectures, site links or arguments for or against. Been there and done that on other car forums. I'm just looking for the info. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Bundy
Also, I'm going to get a K&N filter for the RDX. The filter part for the 3.5L V6 for the Pilot/Odyssey should work since they are the same engine, correct?
I wouldn't assume that is correct....the K&N search engine shows at least 2 other P/Ns for the Acura TSX and 1st gen MDX, each of which also have the 3.5L V-6 engine, so that's 3 possibilities. Maybe if we knew the form factor/dimensions for the correct filter....
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Yeah, that's my concern. Although technically the engine might be similar, the intake system might differ slightly in dimensions. Looks like I'll just need to contact K&N and see what they have to say.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
if you go with a broadway mirror then you would lose the auto dimming at night
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Advanced

True, but I'd personally rather have full overall rear-view visibility (help with blind spots) and would sacrifice the auto-dimming mirror to do so.

Good looking out though.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Racer

i had a broadway mirror on my rsx and it really helped, i think i bought the 240mm or 300 something. anyway i will try it out when i get an rdx this month and see if its big enough. The back window in the rdx is tinted from the factory so the auto dimming at night will probably not matter too much since the tint will help with glare anyway
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Right on. Also, Broadway mirrors make a big difference compared to the stock mirror.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
each of which also have the 3.5L V-6 engine, so that's 3 possibilities. Maybe if we knew the form factor/dimensions for the correct filter....

---------------------
All DVDs Leading the Field, You Will Get to Know Revenge Season 2 DVD Here
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced

I emailed K&N directly 2 days ago and have not received a response yet. Doesn't look good at this moment. Hopefully they're in the design phase and will release it soon.

Last edited by Al Bundy; 12-13-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
It's definitely not the same as the TSX V6.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

For those don't know, the K&N filter for the car has been available for the RDX. I've had it installed on my car for several days now and there's a definite noticeable improvement in the car's performance.

You can tell that the engine has less pressure when you get on the gas and the car just breathes much better. As a result, the car takes off with less hesitation off the line and there is now a slight throaty engine growl, but it is very, very subtle. I do wish it was a little louder like it was on my sister's Volvo, but that's okay.

Install is super easy as all you need to do is pull loose 2 clips, loosen one hose clamp, remove MAS, and just lift the side of the intake and pull the old filter out and put the new one in. It's a nice, snug fit. Takes about 5 minutes max.

I'd highly recommend the K&N for the RDX. You can get one for around $40 or so. I found a seller on Ebay that had it for around $37 shipped, but I was fortunate and only paid $31 as I know a guy that manages an auto parts store. If anything, you should get one since it's a lifetime filter and will never need replacing. I'd highly recommend it!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced

My fault. I didn't realize that there was another thread about the K&N filter in one of the subsections above. I don't get on Acurazine often as there seems to be little updates/activity in the RDX forums compared to Clublexus for my IS350 (which I understand since this car is pretty new, with less aftermarket support, and there aren't that many on the road, which I like btw.).

But I absolutely concur with Colorado AF Guy. The car breathes a lot better now. And off the line, there is a noticeable improvement in performance. The car just flies with less hesitation. It's definitely worth getting for the RDX.

Also, I'm doing a test to see if there is an mpg increase. I've noticed a slight improvement so far, but I'll need to test it out a lot longer for anything more definitive. I'll update my results when I find out more.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
For those don't know, the K&N filter for the car has been available for the RDX. I've had it installed on my car for several days now and there's a definite noticeable improvement in the car's performance.

You can tell that the engine has less pressure when you get on the gas and the car just breathes much better. As a result, the car takes off with less hesitation off the line and there is now a slight throaty engine growl, but it is very, very subtle. I do wish it was a little louder like it was on my sister's Volvo, but that's okay.

Install is super easy as all you need to do is pull loose 2 clips, loosen one hose clamp, remove MAS, and just lift the side of the intake and pull the old filter out and put the new one in. It's a nice, snug fit. Takes about 5 minutes max.

I'd highly recommend the K&N for the RDX. You can get one for around $40 or so. I found a seller on Ebay that had it for around $37 shipped, but I was fortunate and only paid $31 as I know a guy that manages an auto parts store. If anything, you should get one since it's a lifetime filter and will never need replacing. I'd highly recommend it!
First....if you don't mind...I'd like to correct you on the install of the K&N for the '13 RDX. You DO NOT have to take anything off. Just undo the (2) metal clips.....and then "tilt the housing cover up from the end.....the factory filter will easily slide out to the right...end first....and all you have to do is "slide in the K&N the same way...tilt the cover back down...snap the (2) clamps and done. Time to do....less than 30 seconds!!! Just did it 2 days ago. It's that easy. It goes in only one way....there is a tab that extends out on one end...just like the factory filter.

And, thank you for backing me up on the results of the filter. I drove it again yesterday and "gunned it around town" and it does get off quicker from the "start line." And, as I've mentioned before somewhere on here.....I have one in my '13 TSX....and it really perked that engine up a lot!!! Even my wife noticed it when driving it. More fun to drive it now.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The part # for the K&N filter for the '13 RDX is: 33-2489. Just go to their web site and you can order from there.....discounted....but, not like some I've seen....and shipping is free. Got it in 3 days. http://www.knfilters.com
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Racer

Last edited by dc5k20z1; 04-28-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The part # for the K&N filter for the '13 RDX is: 33-2489. Just go to their web site and you can order from there.....discounted....but, not like some I've seen....and shipping is free. Got it in 3 days. http://www.knfilters.com

Okay based on your experience I will give this a try. I've had K&N's on a numer of larger CAT engine in yachts and they have always served us well although I really can't speak to the mileage or HP issue based on that. Can't hurt. I'll report back!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by TBC787
Okay based on your experience I will give this a try. I've had K&N's on a numer of larger CAT engine in yachts and they have always served us well although I really can't speak to the mileage or HP issue based on that. Can't hurt. I'll report back!
Sounds good. I just won't know the impact on fuel mileage for awhile.....but, if it stays the same....I won't complain. That's not the reason I put it in. I wanted or hoped for just a little quicker throttle response....again, even though it wasn't bad to begin with....but, it's better now. I'm not sorry I put it in.

Heck...if I'm driving it I'm sure the mpg will go down...since my foot will be in it a lot for the fun factor!!! My wife has it Mon-Fri. I drive it a little on the weekends. And every time I get in it to drive I'm reminded just how much I like driving it and why I'm glad I bought it.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Advanced

First....if you don't mind...I'd like to correct you on the install of the K&N for the '13 RDX. You DO NOT have to take anything off. Just undo the (2) metal clips.....and then "tilt the housing cover up from the end.....the factory filter will easily slide out to the right...end first....and all you have to do is "slide in the K&N the same way...tilt the cover back down...snap the (2) clamps and done. Time to do....less than 30 seconds!!! Just did it 2 days ago. It's that easy. It goes in only one way....there is a tab that extends out on one end...just like the factory filter.
Nah, I never took anything off. I just loosened the hose clamp by slightly unscrewing it. (I'm glad I did too b/c it was really loose from the factory) In retrospect, it probably was unnecessary as you can just pull the 2 clips and slide the filter in. It's a super easy.

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1

Lookin sharp player. What type & size Broadway mirror did you go with? Is that 270mm?

Last edited by Al Bundy; 04-29-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Racer

300mm, I chose the clear one (untinted/blue) because I put an extra layer of tint on my rear tailgate to help with glare at night.

Broadway Rearview Mirror 300mm Convex (Type-A) BW-847 : Amazon.com : Automotive Broadway Rearview Mirror 300mm Convex (Type-A) BW-847 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I highlighted your statement on what you suggest to do to put it in. So that is why I responded by...NO...you don't have to remove the MAS, or loosen the clamp, etc.
Be careful what you tell folks on here. They are paying attention to every detail so they can do the same. I had to correct what you printed.

Hope you understand. Come on Al....get your hands out of your pants and tell it like it really is!! LOL!!!

Take care!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Advanced

I highlighted your statement on what you suggest to do to put it in. So that is why I responded by...NO...you don't have to remove the MAS, or loosen the clamp, etc.
Be careful what you tell folks on here. They are paying attention to every detail so they can do the same. I had to correct what you printed.

Hope you understand. Come on Al....get your hands out of your pants and tell it like it really is!! LOL!!!

Take care!
Chill old timer. Relax some. Drink some Ovaltine. Just kidding. I think you're overreacting. Removing the MAS will not hurt the car in any way and only takes 1 second to do and undo. It's something I habitually I do from working on my past vehicles installing aftermarket intakes.

However, I do recommend ppl to check their vacuum hoses (on both ends) after they install the K&N to make sure there is proper seal and no air leaks. My RDX's vacuum hose (from the factory) was very loose and needed tightening. It's just good practical sense overall to do so after any intake work on any car.

In any event, suffice it say it is very easy to install the K&N in the RDX. The easiest on any car I've ever installed one on.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
300mm, I chose the clear one (untinted/blue) because I put an extra layer of tint on my rear tailgate to help with glare at night.

Broadway Rearview Mirror 300mm Convex (Type-A) BW-847 : Amazon.com : Automotive

I feel you man. I just measured and it looks like the 300mm will fit best on the RDX. 360mm is just too big. I've been procrastinating on getting one, but I think I'm going to go for the 300mm blue tint flat model and not the convex one.

I had a convex one way back and I just couldn't quite get used to the distortion between right behind you and to the left and right. I think it had it's advantages and disadvantages. But I'm just going to flat this time around.

Thanks for heads up.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Chill old timer. Relax some. Drink some Ovaltine. Just kidding. I think you're overreacting. Removing the MAS will not hurt the car in any way and only takes 1 second to do and undo. It's something I habitually I do from working on my past vehicles installing aftermarket intakes.

In any event, suffice it say it is very easy to install the K&N in the RDX. The easiest on any car I've ever installed one on.
Well, youngster, I am very chilled....and it's vodka by the way....as compared to your chocolate milk. Get a life and be respectful. Just because I corrected you, your diaper must have twisted too much.

I never said that removing the MAS is an issue or problem. I'm sure I've removed many more than you have.

You stated...earlier that you removed it to facilitate installing the K&N filter. And all I said was...NO...that is totally not needed...and as you said it is the easiest filter to install......then why didn't you say that the first time and instruct, properly, just how easy it is....without undoing clamps, MAF, etc???? I know...you're just a kid and learning...you'll get there if you are lucky.

I guess if I can teach every major system of a passenger jumbo jet I can figure out that your directions for installation were not correct, or more specifically....totally not needed and a waste of time....regardless if you do it all the time for other things. Ya think....diaper boy??

Now...I didn't start the disrespectful name calling...you did....but, I can more than hang with you if want to continue.....but, it serves no purpose. Not why we are here. So, if you choose to show your juvenile characteristics by trying to be funny....I won't respond any more. I'm smarter than that....and frankly....smarter than you.

Pop the 2 damn clips, tilt the cover up, slide out the old, slide in the new, cover down, clips locked. Done.....20 seconds.
That's what you should have tried to tell folks here.

Now, go drink your chocolate milk and cookies and be a good little boy, while this old fart has his vodka and steak.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Somebody's soapbox needs to be taken away.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Advanced

Wow. Seriously? Overreact much? And I thought fogeys were supposed to be more level-headed in their old age. I mean for real though, have you actually read your post? For a rickety old rag, you sure do react like your 15 or something. Can't take a joke huh? Did your feelings get hurt old-timer? Relax and eat your pre-chewed food.

I mean really. What is this, the 10th or 11th time I've read where you've posted that you used to "work" on airplanes here on Acurazine? INSECURE MUCH? We get it Bob Hope. I think it's about that time for a Depends undergarment change. You've messed yourself...

Last edited by Al Bundy; 05-01-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sose
I know, right? Exactly. Couldn't believe it was from a senior citizen spouting away like that. Pretty pathetic.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Instructor

Wow. Seriously? Overreact much? And I thought fogeys were supposed to be more level-headed in their old age. I mean for real though, have you actually read your post? For a rickety old rag, you sure do react like your 15 or something. Can't take a joke huh? Did your feelings get hurt old-timer? Relax and eat your pre-chewed food.

I mean really. What is this, the 10th or 11th time I've read where you've posted that you used to "work" on airplanes here on Acurazine? INSECURE MUCH? We get it Bob Hope. I think it's about that time for a Depends undergarment change. You've messed yourself...
You just gotta love it when all you have are insults. Reminds me of some toddlers playground antics and your age insults only add to what suspect is a really insecure manhood. Knock the shit off, okay. This is a car sight not the 3rd grade.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TBC787
You just gotta love it when all you have are insults. Reminds me of some toddlers playground antics and your age insults only add to what suspect is a really insecure manhood. Knock the shit off, okay. This is a car sight not the 3rd grade.
This is a car "sight?" Seriously numb nuts? Did you even pass the 3rd grade? Is that why you mentioned it b/c you're still there? It's "site" genius. S-I-T-E. I've got more than just insults for you. I've got proof positive that you're truly an idiot. Get outta here with your dumb ass.

Last edited by Al Bundy; 05-01-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Instructor

Where are the mods?
Undying Dreams (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
This is a car "sight?" Seriously numb nuts? Did you even pass the 3rd grade? Is that why you mentioned it b/c you're still there? It's "site" genius. S-I-T-E. I've got more than just insults for you. I've got proof positive that you're truly an idiot. Get outta here with your dumb ass.
Good thing they came to help you out. You do know autocorrect on phones does funny things sometimes, right? You still understood what he was saying. If you didn't and that one misspelling messed you up then I guess we all have proof positive that you're truly an idiot.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
I got the 340MM blue convex, to me, if you're not going convex, it's not worth it. I can literally see my backseat, whole rear of car and out the rear passenger window. NO blindspot...the blue is nice cause it matches the oem side mirrors on the 3G. It's wide, but just narrow enough to fit my covercraft window shade around it.

I personally drink vodka ovaltine together, it's a little concoction I like to call the "crank bit*h".

J.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
Someone called...?

Please play nice, folks. Otherwise, carry on.
TBC787 (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
Good thing they came to help you out. You do know autocorrect on phones does funny things sometimes, right? You still understood what he was saying. If you didn't and that one misspelling messed you up then I guess we all have proof positive that you're truly an idiot.

Nah, that dude typed that shit on a keyboard. He's just a dumbshit like you

Last edited by Al Bundy; 05-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Big Al needs to get back on his meds and play a lot nicer.
The following 2 users liked this post by TBC787:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (05-01-2013), hand-filer (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Majofo
That's my joint back in the day. I used to stay in Seattown and stroll Broadway (aka the Ave) and bump Mix A Lot and eat at Dick's. Ah the memories...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Yummy gon' lay it down!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Sose
For telling the truth?? Amazing! You're an idiot too. They must grow here.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Someone called...?

Please play nice, folks. Otherwise, carry on.
Well, Moderator....Al Bundy is out of control....more than one person has written about it...so, I think it's your job to get this cleaned up and back to what this site is about. We, I, reacted because of the BS thrown at me.

Your job, it seems, is to clean up Al Bundy.

He's not adding to the forum, but, just seeing how much of an ass he can be...and he has shown that. That's NOT what we are here for.

Just for reference....the TSX site is out of control...much of it. Lots of mud slinging, BS...disrespect....name calling.....COME ON....the '13 RDX section has been pretty good....but, with the likes of Al Bundy...it is turning into a BS session. Get this fixed. TSX area is already screwed up. That's how people get when they hide behind words they type on blogs. Too easy to be an a_ _hole and jerk and not be a contributor....in a positive way.

Most of us here want this cleaned up and here to help others with using facts, personal experiences, etc. Can you do that?? Or do we turn this over to drugged out idiots that are just here to be fools??

Thank you!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 05-01-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

[quote=Al Bundy;14455755]
I mean really. What is this, the 10th or 11th time I've read where you've posted that you used to "work" on airplanes here on Acurazine? INSECURE MUCH? /quote]

No, jerk, I didn't work on them....I worked with the engineers and then taught all the major systems. Which proves I'm a hell of a lot smarter than you...and with your pathetic crying, and trying to show how nasty you are....your time on here is worthless. Anytime...anytime you want to meet this "old fart"....which you don't really know me....just meet me somewhere. I'll rip your head off and pour my nasty diaper down the hole. You picked the wrong guy to mess with...Besides working in the AC industry...part of my AF career consisted of being an OSI officer, trained hand to hand, sniper trained...enemy interrogator and the list goes on. My son is a medal of valor winning cop and is tougher yet than his old man. I'm not as good as I once was....but, I'm as good once as I ever was. 6'2" 205....you wanna "dance little boy? Get off here and find a gay site to play in you crying waste of our time.

I'm done with you...so, since I am smarter than you for sure.....this will be my last comments to you. I will continue to try and help those here that want true answers to their problems and questions.
Something which you know nothing about....and IF you do then prove it. Otherwise, we don't need you here, we don't want you here, and will continue to ask for your removal unless you "get religion and clean up your act." Grow the _ uck up!!!!
aks1972 (05-01-2013)

Quick Reply: Broadway Mirror & K&N Air Filter