Brief review: Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Porsche Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I totally agree, I used to see them as a a very sporty company, now its all meh. Their engines are no longer impressive, their handling is about class average and the interior and exterior style is being beat by vehicles half as expensive.
That's what I felt about the 2015 RDX when I test drove. Solid car all around but the meh factor was too high. So I decided to stay with my 2008 for time being due to the fun factor of better handling and more power (with Hondata tune & exhaust). But it's outdated, even w/only 49 k miles.

I'm stuck working in Africa until August, but excited to see and drive a 2016 RDX back-to-back with an NX when I return. Honda/Acura has been exceptionally kind to us with trouble free vehicles, but with no kids or pets, the latter in F-sport mode looks attractive to us, grille aside.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 06-25-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
That's what I felt about the 2015 RDX when I test drove. Solid car all around but the meh factor was too high. So I decided to stay with my 2008 for time being due to the fun factor of better handling and more power (with Hondata tune & exhaust). But it's outdated, even w/only 49 k miles.

I'm stuck working in Africa until August, but excited to see and drive a 2016 RDX back-to-back with an NX when I return. Honda/Acura has been exceptionally kind to us with trouble free vehicles, but with no kids or pets, the latter in F-sport mode looks attractive to us, grille aside.
Oh for sure! Acura has almost always produced a very solid car, they just are no longer pushing the limit and are now producing cars that are not really all that exciting.

Test drive them both, however I find it hard to beleive you would pick an RDX over an NX. Imho the nx is the next level up in terms of engineering, tech, style, and quality. Lexus is after all known for rock solid reliability, I would argue more than Acura.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I believe the NX has a higher quality interior as seen in the choice of interior materials used (I really hope the shiny bits are Aluminum and not painted plastic). But I have always loved the integrated navi placement of Acuras and the cheapish looking Chinese tablet sticking out in NX doesn't do it any good.
I would choose NX if space, front grill and money were no object to me .
Here in the South (US), NX models are going for about $1K under invoice compared to a couple hundred over invoice for RDX, so I think you can take the money factor out.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Its horrendously sad when you can't tell the difference between an SUV interior and a Civic with leather seats. Might as well put an RLX interior .
I have a problem with this statement. If you look at the premium compact CUV segment, all the automakers are gravitating in the same direction. I mean the difference in interior look is minimal between cars and SUVs. May be people prefer the car like interior and handling with the addition of ride height.
Also, you can call the ILX a civic with leather if you like, but please tell us what parts are shared between those two cars? May be something similar between RAV 4 and NX ???
Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes
Here in the South (US), NX models are going for about $1K under invoice compared to a couple hundred over invoice for RDX, so I think you can take the money factor out.
The NX is still being sold as a '15, yes? Has anyone seen a '16 yet? Could be a factor in the pricing of the 'leftover' '15s.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yeoyes
No, they can't. Unless they live in the same area of "the south" that you do, pricing variations differ by region. (Barring things like factory incentives that might be applied everywhere.)

Oh for sure! Acura has almost always produced a very solid car, they just are no longer pushing the limit and are now producing cars that are not really all that exciting.
Given their sales numbers (almost 45k RDXs sold last year), they don't really need to push the limits. IMO, Acura is - either deliberately or accidentally - targeting the segment of the population that essentially wants a nicer Honda: a little more exclusive and a little nicer for a little extra money. So far, it's working for them.

Test drive them both, however I find it hard to beleive you would pick an RDX over an NX. Imho the nx is the next level up in terms of engineering, tech, style, and quality. Lexus is after all known for rock solid reliability, I would argue more than Acura.
I don't find it hard to believe it all.

Having test drove them both I believe the RDX and NX cater to different audiences. The RDX has it's strengths (larger cabin, larger engine, lower price) and if those strengths align with their priorities, then the RDX is definitely the vehicle for them. (Some of the responses in this thread support that line of reasoning.)

My priorities weren't what I thought they were which is why the RDX dropped a few spots on my list. (Illustrating why it's important to go on test drives!) The NX better aligns with my priorities, so it ranks higher than the RDX for me. However, I'm not in any hurry and am waiting to see if the Mercedes GLC gets even closer to my idea of "perfect".

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 06-27-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
No, they can't. Unless they live in the same area of "the south" that you do, pricing variations differ by region. (Barring things like factory incentives that might be applied everywhere.)

Given their sales numbers (almost 45k RDXs sold last year), they don't really need to push the limits. IMO, Acura is - either deliberately or accidentally - targeting the segment of the population that essentially wants a nicer Honda: a little more exclusive and a little nicer for a little extra money. So far, it's working for them.

I don't find it hard to believe it all.

Having test drove them both I believe the RDX and NX cater to different audiences. The RDX has it's strengths (larger cabin, larger engine, lower price) and if those strengths align with their priorities, then the RDX is definitely the vehicle for them. (Some of the responses in this thread support that line of reasoning.)

My priorities weren't what I thought they were which is why the RDX dropped a few spots on my list. (Illustrating why it's important to go on test drives!) The NX better aligns with my priorities, so it ranks higher than the RDX for me. However, I'm not in any hurry and am waiting to see if the Mercedes GLC gets even closer to my idea of "perfect".
I agree, they don't "need" to really change their current recipe at all, I think they could get MUCH better sales however if they did. They need to pick a side so to speak. Do they want to be a high luxury company, high tech, sporty...etc? Because IMHO they are currently producing a "nice" product, not a "great" product and that could change easily with a couple of tweaks.

We were seriously interested in a 2013-2014 tech RDX but were shocked when it was omitting a seriously long list of features (blind spot, cooled seats, full power passenger seat, heated rear seats, adaptive crusie, heated wheel, adaptive headlights...etc). That just doesn't cut it for $45k.

Good point though, you are correct, the RDX and NX are not really over lapping in terms of size and I could see some people going for one or the other based on that. But I do think they are essentially aimed at the same area of the market (5 passenger compact (not really for the RDX) luxury or premium crossover SUV's). An NX is approximately 3k more fully loaded, but it includes an extensively longer list of features and options vs the RDX. The RDX is a nice product IMHO and the NX is a great product. BUT I highly prefer the exterior looks of the RDX, especially the front.

EDIT: Have you looked at the new Touareg yet? And I would take a serious look at the new MKX.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, they don't "need" to really change their current recipe at all, I think they could get MUCH better sales however if they did. They need to pick a side so to speak. Do they want to be a high luxury company, high tech, sporty...etc?
Yeah, it seems they've really lost their way and are content resting on their laurels.

Because IMHO they are currently producing a "nice" product, not a "great" product and that could change easily with a couple of tweaks.
That's an excellent way to put it. If they at least offered a nicer interior as an added-cost option, I would've been more persuaded to consider one. They really ought to consider having a program like Lincolns "Black Label" or Mercedes "Designo" to the customers that still want the value that Acura provides but are willing to pay extra for something nicer.

We were seriously interested in a 2013-2014 tech RDX but were shocked when it was omitting a seriously long list of features (blind spot, cooled seats, full power passenger seat, heated rear seats, adaptive crusie, heated wheel, adaptive headlights...etc). That just doesn't cut it for $45k.
I was in the same exact boat: I also was considering buying a 2013-14 (and have been lurking in these forums for that long!) but the lack of features was a deal breaker. The 2016 Advance package addresses most of those shortcomings, but that interior...

EDIT: Have you looked at the new Touareg yet? And I would take a serious look at the new MKX.
VWs reliability gives me cold feet. I hadn't considered the MKX. Alex on Autos seems to like it. Maybe I'll give one a test drive.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
Yeah, it seems they've really lost their way and are content resting on their laurels.

Absolutely, they are too content just producing an average product. In another thread, the RDX is being compared to a hyundai santa fe, that would NEVER happen in the audi q5 forum or mercedes glk or even lexus nx forum. Not that the santa fe is a bad product, just that it is not a good show for Acura.

That's an excellent way to put it. If they at least offered a nicer interior as an added-cost option, I would've been more persuaded to consider one. They really ought to consider having a program like Lincolns "Black Label" or Mercedes "Designo" to the customers that still want the value that Acura provides but are willing to pay extra for something nicer.

That would be a neat idea, I agree that Acura should consider some sort of up level interior option packages on all their vehciles, but in my honest opinion, they are already asking too much for the current RDX with the way it is. An 2016 elite (advance model) is about 50k now. When I look at that interior and the expansive sea of black....its just a bunch of meh. They barely used any contrasting trim pieces, that dash is screaming for a trim pieve above the glove box.

I was in the same exact boat: I also was considering buying a 2013-14 (and have been lurking in these forums for that long!) but the lack of features was a deal breaker. The 2016 Advance package addresses most of those shortcomings, but that interior...

I think the 2013-2015 RDX will be an excellent used model to buy in a few years.

VWs reliability gives me cold feet. I hadn't considered the MKX. Alex on Autos seems to like it. Maybe I'll give one a test drive.
The current gen Touareg actually has some steller reliability, very very few complaints on the Touareg forums except in terms of steering wheel shake due to improperly balanced wheels and the diesels have some issue which can be totally avoided by going gasoline. I think you would be doing yourself a favour by considering it. Yes totally go for the new MKX and MKC. Ford is trying really hard to change their image and it really shows, even the 2011-2014 mkx was realy really nice when I drove it for a few hours. It was VERY comfortable, had excellent steering, was very smooth and composed and QUIET. It is also a bit of a tech powerhouse, the new one completely improves on that.

EDIT: some of my reply was in the quote.

Last edited by RDX10; 06-27-2015 at 08:39 PM.