Brake Pad - Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tires38
Hmm..either the squeals are gone or people are waiting to get to their dealers but I just posted the same complaint on my new RDX FWD..early morning braking causing squeal/ squeak which goes away during the day..dealer said its normal - really?
Only thing I can think of is I washed the car after a long road trip and its been noticable since..not sure if soap residue could be to blame .. but should have got worn out in few days?
thoughts? (don't tell me I need a new fragrance...lol)
I still get the same squeals noise and quite noticable this morning. They never managed to fix my 2 different issues with noise that I have with my brake. The technician keeps telling me its normal but I feel tired & sick to debate this topic with them. I am hoping there will be a recall to replace the brake with RDX sooner or later.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are getting the same squeal. Have just under 1000 miles on the car, this probably started a few hundred miles ago. Only an issue under light pressure at low speed. Was in stop and go traffic jam and it was driving me batty. Doesn't appear to have any bearing on performance but going to bring it into the dealer soon.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by toggle
We are getting the same squeal. Have just under 1000 miles on the car, this probably started a few hundred miles ago. Only an issue under light pressure at low speed. Was in stop and go traffic jam and it was driving me batty. Doesn't appear to have any bearing on performance but going to bring it into the dealer soon.
I started to have this noise issue at around 1000 km. The mileage on my car is 5000km now and the noise issue is still there. I am hoping more people complain about the brake noise issue and they will really look into the problem. I feel sick of dealing with the technician at the dealership, keep telling me is a normal sound.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Instructor

The brake noise is still exist and I have another noise with the steering. I brought my car back to the same dealership today. The representative told me that her manager is very unhappy because I gave a low score on the survey last time. Also, told me never bring the car back again!!!! I was like WTF!!!! If a good manager knows he got a low score survey, isn't he should find out why the customer is not satisfy? Should he try to do more or the best to gain back the customer satisfaction?

I am very pissed off right now regarding this issue. How should I escalate the issue? Any suggestion?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I hope this survey rating stuff doesn't turn into blackmail by the dealers. "Give me 10s or I'll screw you on warranty work"..........

These surveys could end up being counterproductive for both parties. They should be done with no possible retribution by the dealer if they really want to know how the customer actually feels. Most surveys throw out the extremes and go for the mean or at least look for trends in scores. Doesn't appear that is how Acura is doing it. They should really contact owners that have just made it out of warranty if they really want to get a clear picture.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by yojcboy
The brake noise is still exist and I have another noise with the steering. I brought my car back to the same dealership today. The representative told me that her manager is very unhappy because I gave a low score on the survey last time. Also, told me never bring the car back again!!!! I was like WTF!!!! If a good manager knows he got a low score survey, isn't he should find out why the customer is not satisfy? Should he try to do more or the best to gain back the customer satisfaction?

I am very pissed off right now regarding this issue. How should I escalate the issue? Any suggestion?
Sometimes the reps get things wrong. Did you speak to the manager for clarification? What did the manager say?

I would be very upset if I had been told that by a dealership. It would be very hard to not want to reach over the table and strangle that rep. It sounds like you might try and contact Acura directly and tell them how you are being serviced.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I hope this survey rating stuff doesn't turn into blackmail by the dealers. "Give me 10s or I'll screw you on warranty work"..........

These surveys could end up being counterproductive for both parties. They should be done with no possible retribution by the dealer if they really want to know how the customer actually feels. Most surveys throw out the extremes and go for the mean or at least look for trends in scores. Doesn't appear that is how Acura is doing it. They should really contact owners that have just made it out of warranty if they really want to get a clear picture.
This is exactly what happened with my Mazda. It went out of warranty in July. I had it in for service to handle all the little crap and get a final in warranty inspection done. The experience was horrible. I was misled by the service writer as to what inspections had been done...I knew it needed brakes...and the service writer said it was "fine." When I pressed the issue with him and told him to make sure the wheels came off and calipers were put on the rotors/pads to measure thickness he quickly ended our call. Later he called back to say it needed new pads and rotors...no apology for lying about having inspected prior. When the dealership called me a week later and asked me about my visit and if there was any reason I couldn't give them perfect scores on the coming survey I told them my gripes. There wasn't anything they could do to make it right. They lied and put my family's safety at risk. The survey was answered such and I'll never return to the dealership now that warranty is over.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I know dealers get reimbursed by manufacturer for warranty work but I think normal service and repair after warranty are more profitable for them. So for them to shoot themselves in the foot like that is just plain stupid. The Mazda dealer that I take my car to has been very, very good. I still take a car with 80k miles for service there as they are competitive, know the vehicle and have been more than honest with me. I know, rare isn't it. If the CX-5 would have had more spunk and packages contrieved a little differently, I would probably be driving that instead of the RDX I bought a couple of days ago.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor

I just called Acura Canada and escalate the experience that I have and what I was told by the manager. The Acura Canada guy was a bit shock when I told him that the manager told me not to bring the car there because he is upset about the low socre survey. He also agrees that the manager has no right to refuse a customer to bring the car in especially the car is brand new and is still under warranty.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
My salesman also said he was paid "based on my survey results". I'm more than a little concerned about how some of these dealerships are treating the customers based on the outcome of the survey since it appears very clear it's not an anonymous one. If customers were contacted after a non-perfect score and a resolution was offered in order to improve their feedback I could see the point. Otherwise it's a recipe for disaster with dealerships blacklisting people for being honest.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
My salesman also said he was paid "based on my survey results". I'm more than a little concerned about how some of these dealerships are treating the customers based on the outcome of the survey since it appears very clear it's not an anonymous one. If customers were contacted after a non-perfect score and a resolution was offered in order to improve their feedback I could see the point. Otherwise it's a recipe for disaster with dealerships blacklisting people for being honest.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about that too. I've not heard a peep out of our dealer since I took Acura's email survey, so I'm beginning to wonder if we've been blacklisted. And as the next closest Acura dealership is a few hundred miles away...

Still, I'm not going to lie about poor service either!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Instructor

I would like to post the update regarding the noise issue that I have. I brought my car to another dealership where I bought the car from. They are going to replace the brand new rotors & pads tomorrow. Is there anyone from this forum live in Vancouver, BC? If yes, I strongly suggest DO NOT BRING THE CAR TO RICHMOND ACURA. Their service is the worst that I have ever had.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
yojcboy....I am delighted to hear you will get new rotors and pads! After having the dealership 'turn' them and only lead to a premature wear, this will at least bring back your RDX to its original state. It is nice to see a dealership that will do the right thing! At least now we know where you won't be doing business anymore

If the brakes continue to make some noise, annoying as it may be, you may want to just stick with it I know my 2009 TSX had the same problem and eventually, Acura had a TSB and recalled the rotors and pads (the pads were too hard). A new supplier and material solved the problem....
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
yojcboy....I am delighted to hear you will get new rotors and pads! After having the dealership 'turn' them and only lead to a premature wear, this will at least bring back your RDX to its original state. It is nice to see a dealership that will do the right thing! At least now we know where you won't be doing business anymore

If the brakes continue to make some noise, annoying as it may be, you may want to just stick with it I know my 2009 TSX had the same problem and eventually, Acura had a TSB and recalled the rotors and pads (the pads were too hard). A new supplier and material solved the problem....
Hi weather. Yes, i am glad that another dealership is willing to replace the rotors & pads. I won't be complain if there still has noise after they replace the rotors & pads, at least the dealership & I have tried everything we can. Anyway, I am getting my car back tomorrow and looking forward for good news.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please do everyone a favour and complete a better business bureau complaint against Richmond Acura.

I'm glad everything was resolved/
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
not really a break in period perse

but there is a bed in process. which likely, the car manufacture or dealer has already performed.

bedding in procedure:
do a couple of 60-10 stops, without coming to a complete stop each time.
Is it true the dealer does it before you drive the car off the lot? Even if it has only a few miles on it? I was thinking that if I were to get the RDX new like I want, I would be doing the bedding on my own first thing

Originally Posted by GRDX
And Acura recommends to go easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles.
Noted

Originally Posted by weather
yojcboy.....That would annoy me even more! The fact that they machine ALL 4 ROTORS and the problem is still there and says the noise that you were hearing before and after being machined is normal! OH BOY.....I'd be swearing up and down in French!

I would push to have them give you new rotors...I think its only fair as they have "thinned" them out for no valid reason. I could see if they were pulsating or vibrating but to not solve any problem, I'd be pissed.

As I stated earlier, my TSX (2009) had a similar "squealing" issue under light brake pressure and turns out the pads were eventually recalled and all pads and rotors were replaced under warranty. They said the pad supplier used material that made them prone to squealing and this could be a similar situation.....

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cablerat....I would be cautious about trying to get yours done given what they did to yojcboy's RDX. I'd put up with the noise until we see if a recall is issued
Yeah and I've read machining/turning rotors is not really a good thing. It's very rare that you're supposed to. Here are the two links w/in the same thread where I saw this written:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...ml#post7152739

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...ml#post7153642
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Instructor

My wife has said she's been hearing a squal whenever she is braking going into her parking garage at work but only on certain situations like a hard turn and brake at the same time. I cannot hear it at any other time driving but did hear it this morning as we parked there to go shopping. She said it does it almost all of the time.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by QN52
My wife has said she's been hearing a squal whenever she is braking going into her parking garage at work but only on certain situations like a hard turn and brake at the same time. I cannot hear it at any other time driving but did hear it this morning as we parked there to go shopping. She said it does it almost all of the time.

Any thoughts?
A squal? Must be definition 3 at the link below.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squal
Maybe someone she doesn't see standing there and she is running over their foot?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Wow. Sorry for the typo.Thanks for the helpful response.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by GRDX
A squal? Must be definition 3 at the link below.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squal
Maybe someone she doesn't see standing there and she is running over their foot?
*lmao* I learned a new word to put in my repertoire As a French speaking person, any help I can get to bolster my vocabulary is greatly appreciated
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm at the dealer right now for same issue. Loud brake squeal at low speeds, especially while turning the wheel. Went for a drive with technician, and think they would squeal? Not at first which was aggrevating, but I took him to an underground garage and it started. So, he heard it and then tried to tell me it was normal for this car. I refused to accept that for an answer so now they are doing a full brake inspection and possibly replacing the pads. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Colin G
I'm at the dealer right now for same issue. Loud brake squeal at low speeds, especially while turning the wheel. Went for a drive with technician, and think they would squeal? Not at first which was aggrevating, but I took him to an underground garage and it started. So, he heard it and then tried to tell me it was normal for this car. I refused to accept that for an answer so now they are doing a full brake inspection and possibly replacing the pads. We'll see how it goes.
Many of the technicians will say thsi is normal, at least this happened to me. After they replaced my rotors & pads and my brake works really good right now, no sound at all!

You should really push them to replace the pads or/and rotors if you can.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
any final thoughts on if the brakes need to be bedded in on a new RDX? this is a tutorial that I had read on how to do it. Picked up the new 2013 RDX last night and it had only a few miles on it. http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...res/bed-in-faq