Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:05 PM
Advanced

Any advice?

i'm debating trading in my '14 tech awd rdx for a '14 or maybe even '15 tech awd Mdx.
i'm happy with the Rdx overall. just need more space.
dealer offered me 32,500 for my Rdx and 47,500 for Rdx with awd and tech. Haven't really done any negotiating yet just wanted to see what people suggest i do. am i better off waiting another year? how much is my vehicle really worth? kbb doesn't even have a 2014 Rdx value, just the 2013. i paid 38k for the Rdx around 9 months ago. i know i'm going to take a pretty big hit since i'm trading in so soon. But not sure if its better to do it now and stop the bleeding or wait it out and get more use out of the rdx.
Btw my Rdx has 12,500 miles on it.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2014 | 08:03 AM
mrgold35

Would roof rails/cargo box and/or hitch take care of your space issue to give you more time? I went this route first on my RDX and it was good for 2 years. I then upgraded to a MDX when the mileage got too high on the RDX and additional interior space was needed (kid growing like a weed). I still find myself taking the RDX more because of its smaller size and its cargo space is good 95% of the time.
Old 06-25-2014 | 08:14 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

That's a decision that only you can make. Do you really "need" more space or do you just want something else? If you really the space then go for it now but remember that there are downsides with that extra space - fuel, size, insurance and so forth.

What will CARMAX give you for your car? What are they selling for on dealer lots?

A dealer will try to get your car for as little as possible but is usually satisfied with a $2k profit on a car in this price range after any prep work. Used cars is where the profits in sales are because you can't readily compare costs.

Next year your RDX will be worth less but the new MDX will still be selling for the same price. The only way to break even on a car is to drive it until the costs of repairs become uneconomical.
The following users liked this post:
kirkland715 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014 | 08:16 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Would roof rails/cargo box and/or hitch take care of your space issue to give you more time? I went this route first on my RDX and it was good for 2 years. I then upgraded to a MDX when the mileage got too high on the RDX and additional interior space was needed (kid growing like a weed). I still find myself taking the RDX more because of its smaller size and its cargo space is good 95% of the time.
Why would you need more space just because your kid is growing weed?

Oh, you said growing "like" a weed....
Old 06-25-2014 | 08:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Oh, and remember when looking at prices in KBB and Edmunds that a 14 with 12k miles may be worth less than a 13 with 12k miles. The best way to judge pricing on used cars is to see what they go for on dealer lots. Take of a bit for negotiation ($1k???) and subtract that $2k for profit, so that car you trade in for $32.5 should be marked at $35.5 and ultimately sell for $34.5
kirkland715 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014 | 09:01 AM
Racer

When you said you need more space, do you mean cargo space to haul more stuff? or you mean space to carry more people? If the latter, then MDX is not comfortable for 7. A van does.

How many miles on your rdx? Man, if you are nearby and I haven't bought my RDX a few days a go, I probably help you out
Old 06-25-2014 | 06:47 PM
Advanced

Yeah i could make do, i guess it is more of a want then an actual need. i realized going on trips with the wife and baby that stuff is overflowing into the front seat and back seats. It's more of an annoyance then anything.
we are planning a second baby though so i'm just debating whether it may be better to cut my losses now and upgrade before i continue to make payments for the next year or so. i really don't see the rdx working for us once we have the second kid.

So you kept your rdx and purchased a mdx when you needed the extra space? sounds like the best of both worlds.
Old 06-25-2014 | 06:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by guytdt
When you said you need more space, do you mean cargo space to haul more stuff? or you mean space to carry more people? If the latter, then MDX is not comfortable for 7. A van does.

How many miles on your rdx? Man, if you are nearby and I haven't bought my RDX a few days a go, I probably help you out
yeah more space to haul stuff. those back two seats in the mdx are brutal. i probably would only use them in a pinch. i have 12,500 miles on the Rdx
Old 06-25-2014 | 07:04 PM
Advanced

The dealer gave me an Awd Mdx tech to drive while my Rdx was being serviced. i was really surprised how sluggish it felt compared to the Rdx. I know it's heavier and everything but it really didn't maneuver that well at all. something for me to think about. Other than that the extra features seemed nice. and the passenger seat actually moves up and down!!!! that alone may be worth it for the wife. lol
Old 06-25-2014 | 07:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Oh, and remember when looking at prices in KBB and Edmunds that a 14 with 12k miles may be worth less than a 13 with 12k miles. The best way to judge pricing on used cars is to see what they go for on dealer lots. Take of a bit for negotiation ($1k???) and subtract that $2k for profit, so that car you trade in for $32.5 should be marked at $35.5 and ultimately sell for $34.5
the trade in value on edmunds is 31,712 so i guess the dealers offer was pretty fair at 32,500.
Old 06-25-2014 | 11:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Why would you need more space just because your kid is growing weed?

Oh, you said growing "like" a weed....
I thought he said the KID was spaced!
Old 06-26-2014 | 06:12 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I thought he said the KID was spaced!
Spaced and growing weed... What kind of a family is mrgold raising? He should be ashamed of himself.
Old 06-26-2014 | 06:17 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kirkland715
the trade in value on edmunds is 31,712 so i guess the dealers offer was pretty fair at 32,500.
You are actually in a pretty good negotiating position (as long as you realize that the dealer ultimately always wins - in Vegas or in car sales) because you have a "we'll give you at least this much for your car" figure.

Forget about your trade and shop for a MDX (or whatever car you want) and get the lowest price possible. Then combine the two at the dealership of your choosing. As long as you let the dealer make a couple of grand on the combined deal then there is a good chance that they'll take it.
kirkland715 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 08:23 AM
mrgold35

The dealer gave me an Awd Mdx tech to drive while my Rdx was being serviced. i was really surprised how sluggish it felt compared to the Rdx. I know it's heavier and everything but it really didn't maneuver that well at all. something for me to think about. Other than that the extra features seemed nice. and the passenger seat actually moves up and down!!!! that alone may be worth it for the wife. lol
You are pretty close to the MMC for the MDX in 2016 or more likely in 2017. I don't know what improvement they will make. I figure more HP and/or more responsive transmission to better acceleration/mpgs. Acura always adds a few updates to the tech. You can always pick a pre-MMC 2015/2016 model if the post 2017 MMC isn't worth it. This is assuming you have the option to wait 12-18 months.
kirkland715 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ I'd wait on the MMC MDX before making the switch. No bashing on the MDX as I have a 2014. I think that would make the most sense to you anyway.

The MDX feels slower than the RDX but more comfortable. Put the IDS in the Sport mode will help with the sluggish though.
kirkland715 (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 12:17 PM
Advanced

You are pretty close to the MMC for the MDX in 2016 or more likely in 2017. I don't know what improvement they will make. I figure more HP and/or more responsive transmission to better acceleration/mpgs. Acura always adds a few updates to the tech. You can always pick a pre-MMC 2015/2016 model if the post 2017 MMC isn't worth it. This is assuming you have the option to wait 12-18 months.
yeah i was considering that. i could wait until next year but if the MMC is 2017 that would really complicate things for me.

Obviously trading so soon is not a good financial decision. however if i am going to trade it in, is it better to do it now or in a year or two? i know the vehicle depreciates slower after the first year but i will still be making payments and putting miles on the RDX. So isn't it better to make the switch now as opposed to in a year or so?
i can't seem to wrap my head around it.
Old 06-26-2014 | 12:41 PM
mrgold35

There is always the option for a straight trade for a 11-13 MDX tech or Adv model with or without Ent. It would give you the room you need to try out, same or better tech compared to current RDX, depreciation hit already on this model, and you still have the option to upgrade to MMC MDX anytime down the road. Gas mileage of high teens to very low 20s would be a big downside.

This was my plan going for a 11 MDX Adv/Ent now and waiting to see what updates are on the MDX MMC later. The extra $10,000 for the 14/15 MDX tech I saved went a long way to pay for a lot of extras for my 11 MDX (trailer hitch, roof rails, clear bra, side steps, all weather mats, etc...).
Old 06-29-2014 | 11:20 PM
Advanced

There is always the option for a straight trade for a 11-13 MDX tech or Adv model with or without Ent. It would give you the room you need to try out, same or better tech compared to current RDX, depreciation hit already on this model, and you still have the option to upgrade to MMC MDX anytime down the road. Gas mileage of high teens to very low 20s would be a big downside.

This was my plan going for a 11 MDX Adv/Ent now and waiting to see what updates are on the MDX MMC later. The extra $10,000 for the 14/15 MDX tech I saved went a long way to pay for a lot of extras for my 11 MDX (trailer hitch, roof rails, clear bra, side steps, all weather mats, etc...).
yeah people seem to prefer the previous generation Mdx over this one. i'll have to weigh my options here as i am still undecided. Thanks for the help
Old 06-30-2014 | 01:00 AM
Pro

yeah people seem to prefer the previous generation Mdx over this one. i'll have to weigh my options here as i am still undecided. Thanks for the help
As someone who has left tens of thousands of dollars "on the trading table" over four decades of automobile purchases, I can say that the decision will likely be made by your heart instead of your head(unless Wifey gets involved...then all bets are off).

It's SO very easy to talk yourself into that 'newer, faster, better, roomier, more comfortable, powerful, practical, fuel efficient...yada yada yada...all it takes is money. Much easier money nowadays than back when the interest rates were 16% !!!

Especially if you like the '11-'13 models, it might work as was suggested...getting you into the size you want without reaching so deep into the pocketbook...maybe a lease turn-in?

If you DO go with the MDX, at least you won't need to go even larger for another baby or two Bit of a hit on fuel costs, maybe a touch of an increase in insurance and your mileage is high(believe it or not) on the RDX(but you already have a trade in value, so no matter). It's not like you're SAVING money on this venture.

Best of luck! The siren call of a new vehicle can be hard to resist!!!
kirkland715 (06-30-2014)
Old 07-06-2014 | 04:07 AM
Advanced

i am no longer an RDXER! Thank you all for the posts. i ended up trading it in and picking up a white mdx awd with tech. I only wish now that i would have bought it from the beginning. The Rdx was a great vehicle and to be honest i had no real major complaints, it was just lacking features and space compared to what i have now in the mdx.
cheers