Anti-theft and/or Idiot Proof

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Anti-theft and/or Idiot Proof

Is it possible to drive away in a running car without the fob?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
As a technology Geek, I had the same question when I first purchased my 2016 RDX. I had hoped that the engine would shut down if someone attempted to move the vehicle if the key was not present. That would have been handy for running into a 7-11 to pick something up real quick.

I had one theory that perhaps the RDX would drive a short distance without the key being present before it shut down. I wanted to test that theory, but I didn't want to be stuck miles from home without a key just in case the RDX did shut down. I wrapped up my FOB in tinfoil and placed it inside a metal box, and then verified that I could not start the engine with the FOB inside the car (i.e. the car did not see the key). I then started the engine with my spare FOB and and then left that FOB at home. I successfully drove several miles before returning home. It appears the RDX will continue to run (once started) without the FOB being present.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Its funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I am certain the vehicle will not shut itself down otherwise it would have been touted in the manual.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a 2016 RDX Advance and if I exit the car while running, close the door, and walk a couple of feet it will let out a fairly prominent beep, beep, beep. I think it's a proximity fob thing to say the car is still running dude and you're not in it, or, the key fob is not in it.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I have a 2016 RDX Advance and if I exit the car while running, close the door, and walk a couple of feet it will let out a fairly prominent beep, beep, beep. I think it's a proximity fob thing to say the car is still running dude and you're not in it, or, the key fob is not in it.
True. But not the question.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
It wouldnt be very safe for the car just to shut of in traffic would it?

It just wont re-start after being shut off without the fob present.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The vehicle will not shut off. Not sure why. Seems like it should. I know other cars that utilize fobs and they're all the same.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by MTD
It wouldnt be very safe for the car just to shut of in traffic would it?.
Yes that wouldn't be a good thing, especially if it was the owner who jumped into the running vehicle when his wife just got out.

It seems to me that it would be a simple thing to reprogram the ECM to simply shut down the engine when the shifter is moved into drive, if the FOB is not present. In other words, make it operate just like the it does when remotely started currently.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Can the vehicle be started in the driveway or garage if your fob is sitting X feet away in your house also? I don't have keyless starts on my 3 older Acura; but, I looking to upgrade 1-2 vehicles in the next few years. I never liked the homelink buttons being active all the time (always park in the garage because of that reason). I would hate to have to worry about the fob location also as a security risk.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Can the vehicle be started in the driveway or garage if your fob is sitting X feet away in your house also? I don't have keyless starts on my 3 older Acura; but, I looking to upgrade 1-2 vehicles in the next few years. I never liked the homelink buttons being active all the time (always park in the garage because of that reason). I would hate to have to worry about the fob location also as a security risk.
No. The fob needs to be inside the car. You cannot start the car even if someone with key is just outside the car with the door closed. I'm not sure but I think it senses it by the location of the receiver and how many of the sensors pick up the signal.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
The vehicle will not shut off. Not sure why. Seems like it should. I know other cars that utilize fobs and they're all the same.
All similar cars can be driven off except those with auto stop start features, which I suspect may not start after stopping at a traffic signal. I haven't tested this in my Mercedes but will do later (will remove battery from key) and report. I agree it would be embarrassing and could be dangerous.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Pro

I heard about a guy who went back inside house (with car running) to fetch something. He set the fob down on the counter out of habit. Then got in the car and drove three hours away to a cabin. Oops.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirleton
I heard about a guy who went back inside house (with car running) to fetch something. He set the fob down on the counter out of habit. Then got in the car and drove three hours away to a cabin. Oops.
OMG that would be horrific !!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
No. The fob needs to be inside the car. You cannot start the car even if someone with key is just outside the car with the door closed. I'm not sure but I think it senses it by the location of the receiver and how many of the sensors pick up the signal.
The receiver is close to (or inside of) the Start/Stop button.