Advice when picking up 2016 RDX AWD Advance

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 AM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Advice when picking up 2016 RDX AWD Advance

Hi!

I purchased a new 2016 RDX AWD Advance on Monday and expect to pick it up in the next couple of days.

I have been scanning the threads on this forum for advice of what to check for when I pick up the car. I've seen a few things - reflections of the frame around the vents off of the side mirrors, rattles in the sound system - but wonder if anyone has compiled a list of what a new owner should check for. I have looked and looked but am not seeing it. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction?

Jane
Old 11-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Just make sure no scratches around the car. Most of the other stuff is under warranty, you can always come back later if an issue is discovered (e.g. noisy brakes). Reflection in mirror is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I didn't even notice it m until someone mentionned it.

Originally Posted by CJaneDrive
Hi!

I purchased a new 2016 RDX AWD Advance on Monday and expect to pick it up in the next couple of days.

I have been scanning the threads on this forum for advice of what to check for when I pick up the car. I've seen a few things - reflections of the frame around the vents off of the side mirrors, rattles in the sound system - but wonder if anyone has compiled a list of what a new owner should check for. I have looked and looked but am not seeing it. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction?

Jane
The following users liked this post:
CJaneDrive (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Just make sure no scratches around the car. Most of the other stuff is under warranty, you can always come back later if an issue is discovered (e.g. noisy brakes). Reflection in mirror is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I didn't even notice it m until someone mentionned it.
Good suggestion. I would also suggest you make sure there are no cuts, tears or marks on the interior materials. I noticed the reflections in both mirrors and if this bothers you you can ask them to do the TSB - it calls for the silver vent covers on the front dash to be replaced with black vent covers. My noisy brakes didn't appear until about 2,000 miles.

Another topic you may want to bring up is what gas to use - 87 or 93. Premium unleaded is "recommended", but it seems people using 87 octane are getting the same performance and the same mpg.
CJaneDrive (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Since you are picking up the vehicle on Monday, is this the first time behind the wheel of this particular vehicle? I would road test as long as you can (hwy, side streets, rough roads, braking, etc...). If you can road test alone, maybe do a 1st inspection in a parking lot away from the salesperson looking over your shoulder. Then do another inspection at Acura with the salesperson.

It will mostly going to be any physical imperfections with the exterior or interior. They are going to say you caused the problem once you drive it off the lot and bring it back the next day. Inspect in bright sunlight, no rain, and second set of eyes if possible. I would double-check the usual areas of concern like:

- door ding areas,
- door handle scuffs,
- front and rear bumpers,
- hood and roof for dings or depression areas
- around the rear hatch area,
- front seats (seat bottom & upper side bolsters),
- rubber seal around doors
- door sill scuffs,
- road rash on rims

I might even check out the dealership on Sunday if it is closed to check out similar models on the lot to get a feel for the condition of the paint, trim, tires, wipers, rims and glass.

You can also download the pdf version of the 2016 owner's manual to get a feel for all the new bells and whistles: http://owners.acura.com/vehicles/inf...16/RDX/manuals

It can be information overload trying to figure the Advance features out in the middle of the hwy.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-04-2015 at 03:22 PM.
CJaneDrive (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Thank you, RockyBoy, Snorf and MrGold35. Great advice!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:00 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Snorf, good to know that the reflection of the vent frames isn't bothersome to you. From what I've read on here, it sounds like there are a few factors at play - other than the obvious factors of how bright the sun is and its angle in the sky - like the height of the driver and maybe how sensitive the driver is to the reflection. I'm going to hope for the best and go back to the dealer later if the reflection bothers me. Fingers crossed!

I'm sorry about your brakes. Frustrating!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:04 PM
2016 RDX Advance Blk/Blk

Picking up tomorrow!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Since you are picking up the vehicle on Monday, is this the first time behind the wheel of this particular vehicle? I would road test as long as you can (hwy, side streets, rough roads, braking, etc...). If you can road test alone, maybe do a 1st inspection in a parking lot away from the salesperson looking over your shoulder. Then do another inspection at Acura with the salesperson.

It will mostly going to be any physical imperfections with the exterior or interior. They are going to say you caused the problem once you drive it off the lot and bring it back the next day. Inspect in bright sunlight, no rain, and second set of eyes if possible. I would double-check the usual areas of concern like:

- door ding areas,
- door handle scuffs,
- front and rear bumpers,
- hood and roof for dings or depression areas
- around the rear hatch area,
- front seats (seat bottom & upper side bolsters),
- rubber seal around doors
- door sill scuffs,
- road rash on rims

I might even check out the dealership on Sunday if it is closed to check out similar models on the lot to get a feel for the condition of the paint, trim, tires, wipers, rims and glass.

You can also download the pdf version of the 2016 owner's manual to get a feel for all the new bells and whistles: Owner's Manuals | 2016 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

It can be information overload trying to figure the Advance features out in the middle of the hwy.
Turns out that I'm picking up my car tomorrow! Still, I can follow this advice, except for checking out other vehicles on Sunday, that is.

I'll definitely check out the manual. Thanks for the link. Going from a 2008 car to a 2015 car should be fun - lot's of new tech! - but already I can see that figuring it all out could be overwhelming. The manual should help, plus it looks like there are quite a few youtube videos that explain various features.

I'm going to have fun!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
If you're able, post pics of the vehicle. Have your USB stick ready with nice wallpaper and music loaded. The wallpaper resolution is incredible. The sound system is something to behold. You will be very happy you chose the Advance. This thing has really cool gadgets!

Originally Posted by CJaneDrive
Turns out that I'm picking up my car tomorrow! Still, I can follow this advice, except for checking out other vehicles on Sunday, that is.

I'll definitely check out the manual. Thanks for the link. Going from a 2008 car to a 2015 car should be fun - lot's of new tech! - but already I can see that figuring it all out could be overwhelming. The manual should help, plus it looks like there are quite a few youtube videos that explain various features.

I'm going to have fun!

Thanks for your help!
CJaneDrive (11-05-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Congratulations on the new car. The reflection of air vents happens in every car with chrome lined air vents, not just the RDX. The reflection is actually from the window (not the side view mirrors), more so if you tint your front windows. So if it bothers you, just lower the front window and you will be fine (of course not on cruising speeds). My guess is that you will notice it for 1-2 weeks and then forget all about it. Post some pictures whenever you get a chance. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Comfy:
CJaneDrive (11-09-2015), rockyboy (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Just pay attention when they go over everything. Got my advance model in July and still learning all the bells and whistles! Love the RDX!
CJaneDrive (11-09-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone ave a copy of the Vent trim TSB? Dealer is claiming they don't know of it. That was the first complaint the little lady had when she drove the new car.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have driven my new RDX for a few days and noticed the reflection on the side windows. This would be more noticeable in the bright summer day than in the fall/winter. It is not a big issue but just annoyance.

Would PVC tape or black marker pen cover the reflection? It just sounds really stupid to use marker pen on my new vehicle.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Check door, front fender, and hood alignment. I've seen some real dogs on the lot. Mine is terrible in this regard. Very disappointing from Honda. Have not had this issue with past Hondas, which had superb build quality. Saw a '16 RDX at the dealership with a door that sagged so much there was 3/8" space at the top and less than a 16th of an inch at the bottom of the seam. Terrible from the company we've all come to respect for their attention to detail and quality.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Check door, front fender, and hood alignment. I've seen some real dogs on the lot. Mine is terrible in this regard. Very disappointing from Honda. Have not had this issue with past Hondas, which had superb build quality. Saw a '16 RDX at the dealership with a door that sagged so much there was 3/8" space at the top and less than a 16th of an inch at the bottom of the seam. Terrible from the company we've all come to respect for their attention to detail and quality.
My 2016 had a minor alignment issue as well. The tailgate was slightly more depressed on the right side than the left. You couldn't tell by looking at it but you could feel it when you slid your hand between the gap at the tailights. They evened it out when I took her in to get running boards put on. Noticed that the loaner car we had which was also a 2016 rdx, was even worse.

Another area to check is the chrome weatherstripping along the bottom of the windows. The weatherstripping at one end of the passenger side rear window panel was sticking up just a bit higher than the rest and was a bit loose upon handling. Turns out that its a clip that holds it that needs to be replaced. Will get it done upon my first official service. Funny also that the loaner vehicle also had this issue in the same place!

A bit surprising about the finish but then again maybe I'm looking at this car a lot more closely than others I'd owned in the past.

Overall despite these minor issues, I am really enjoying the car so far.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
My biggest suggestion, enjoy it, I am sure it will be great. Mine was and still is 2.5 yrs later.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
My biggest suggestion, enjoy it, I am sure it will be great. Mine was and still is 2.5 yrs later.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Get yourself some all season floormats while you're there (Acura brand) or order some from Weathertech. Don't want to be tracking winter slop all over your new car. Enjoy.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Check to see that accessories are what you wanted and properly installed. My dealer (Buerkle Acura - Twin Cities) was unable to accomplish either.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Bruin

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chum8888
A bit surprising about the finish but then again maybe I'm looking at this car a lot more closely than others I'd owned in the past.
There are definitely more fit and finish issues with our 2016 as well. The black b-pillar trim on the driver's door is pulling off (double-sided take underneath isn't holding), there is a large uneven gap at the top of the instrument cluster, and I noticed several spots where dirt was trapped under the clearcoat...

I even purchased the advanced running boards from an online Acura dealer and one side came with a large dent in it. I guess their QC these days is lacking.

We didn''t have these issues with our 2012 RDX, which was also purchased of the lot.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the handsfreelink and make sure everything works, especially the mic. Mine went dead within a week. I got it replaced via warranty so it's all good, but there may have been a bad batch or two that got fed to the factory.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:32 PM
onFyre

In the event that you do notice a ding or scratch at pick-up, what can one expect the dealership to do in response?

Would it be reasonable to get a discount for the blemishes?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of them have decent body shops in-house, so they should be able to fix it up for you. All but the most treacherous dealers will do that for you for no charge. Wouldn't expect a discount, especially if it's after the 'handshake'.