2016 RDX vs 2016 BMW X1

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Dream
That CX9 is sharp! I doubt my wife will go for it since she thought the MDX was too big. I'll dangle it in front of her though to see if she bites.

The MKC got crossed off. I managed to get the options down to about $45k and there is $2000 cash back right now. This puts is on par with the RDX. The ride was nice, but just not quite what I had in mind. The fit and finish was OK, but not as nice as the X1. Overall not a bad option, but the final vote was "I'm not driving a Lincoln". A Ford Edge would be ok though if it turned out to be the "best". Go figure!

One gem that stuck out at the gas pump the other day was the Macan. I see some 2015s going for under $50k. Hummmm....

In other news, the whole process may be put on pause until we get the airbag sorted out. I doubt many will pay for a car with a recall of that nature. Bummer.
You would be getting a stripper macan at that price...though they have SOLID build quality and come with a few tech toys.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Lol, are you mad or something? They had a recall and moved the button...that's not an issue anymore. Every new car has teething issues. They fixed it and moved on.
The recall is just to move the on/off button to the top, which is next to center vents, it can still be accidentally pushed.

My point is, that kind of mistake should never appear on any vehicle, looks like MKC is designed by somebody never drives.

No offense, kind of tired to see you trying to promote MKC in almost every thread, even with few positive response.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 03-04-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonElan
The recall is just to move the on/off button to the top, which is next to center vents, it can still be accidentally pushed.

My point is, that kind of mistake should never appear on any vehicle, looks like MKC is designed by somebody never drives.

No offense, kind of tired to see you trying to promote MKC in almost every thread, even with few positive response.
No offense taken. I do promote it quite a bit. But not every thread. I just think it is a really good car and if it bothers you that I post, please feel free to add me to your block list and you won't see my posts
Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
The Acura RDX in my mind, after looking at Audi, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover, Volvo, and Cadillac is they hit the bank for the buck sweet spot. You give up a little luxury to the other brands but you get more optional equipment as standard. I also like the Acura dealerships. They train their staff well. Land Rover had a five year/five year maintenance deal that was appealing but the Edmunds and Consumer Reports evaluations really trashed the brand.
This is what I am talking about, ha ha ....1+.
After all is said and done, in the final count when it's time to pay the dough, it's very hard to beat the Acura on everything combined (for those who have tasted Acura ). Almost all competitors will have at least one deal breaker, the RDX has virtually none. Many other brands will beat the RDX on some individual parameters but in the end the RDX stands tall. .

Last edited by Comfy; 03-04-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
This is what I am talking about, ha ha ....1+.
After all is said and done, in the final count when it's time to pay the dough, it's very hard to beat the Acura on everything combined (for those who have tasted Acura ). Almost all competitors will have at least one deal breaker, the RDX has virtually none. Many other brands will beat the RDX on some individual parameters but in the end the RDX stands tall. .
While I really do agree that the RDX is hard to beat, I do take into consideration some of the issues I've had with Acura. Failed AC compressor, O ring on the PS pumps, constant need to relube hvac components that groan, pleather that separates, and I won't even get into the failures on the TSX. While I generally find the Acura line reliable and easy to work on, I really question if they are the "best". It's almost like they are skilled at all parts auto but a master of none. There is no single deal breaker to the RDX, but there may be if you can add them all up. Maybe the airbag thing is hitting me at a bad time, but it's really making me want to look at something else.

My wife texted me and asked what car would be the right one today. My response cracked her up because I'm just too spreadsheet oriented.
The logical choice is the RDX.
The reasonable choice is probably the Edge.
The interesting choice is the X1.
The fun choice is the Macan.
The sick of Acura choice is the Q5.

We'll sort this out. As soon as the resale of an RDX will killer airbages gets resolved.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, Macan. While one can find a good discount on a used S, you have to have access to a good Porsche mechanic. While the service intervals aren't all that bad, much of the service can not really be done at home. The oil change seems doable, but lengthy. PDK fluid, forget about it. Prices for this service also seem unreasonable for a $60k auto. The oil change was several hundred dollars. The lowest price PDK change I saw was $550. I get its a premium vehicle and those services are "special". Being a shade tree mechanic it's sure hard to swollow the idea of $100+/mo service over the life of the car.