2016 RDX Tech package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heisnuts
Did you look at the CR-V and/or Pilot?
Not sure if this is response to my post - sorry if not. My initial screen only excluded VW as a car company (long story). The CR-V screened out because they don't offer an engine with sufficient horsepower to pull my trailer, and the Pilot is too big to fit in my garage.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by heisnuts
Did you look at the CR-V and/or Pilot?
Not sure if you are directing your question at me. Yes, I looked at the CRV. Three things swayed me to the RDX:

1. Coming out of a 3.5L six in the Mercedes E350, I was concerned that I would not be happy with the CRV's 4 cyl engine.

2. I'm leery of the CRV's CVT. I'd like to see it get a couple years' on it before I would commit to it.

3. I've been buying Hondas from the same salesman since 1982. He is now the Asst Sales Manager at the local Acura dealer. And buying the RDX from him was a very pleasant experience.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Spottydog
Informative thread on the exact topic I'm interested in. I've settled on the RDX as the best value in the small/mid-size SUV that meets my particular needs. This will be a ski car in the winter and a road trip car in the summer, sometimes pulling a 1,500 lb. trailer, so a 4-banger isn't an option and a V6 preferred over a turbo. Choices are limited, most requiring the addition of multiple trim levels. For example, to get leather in a Mercedes GLC, you need to add 2 trim "bundles" costing $3,220, including ambient interior lighting and illuminated front door sills. Turns out that to spec out the Mercedes GLC to meet what I consider to be modest needs would add 40% to the cost of the base model. Much the same for the Audi and Lexus.

The point here is that when compared to other car companies, Acura's trim packages really seem to be a good value - with accessories whose value may not be apparent until the owner puts them to use. So, thanks to all of you. I will upgrade to the tech package with a no-regrets attitude, and based on your feedback, I'll expect to be surprised how much I like some of the new options.
I would have just gone with an Outback....when you compare what you get... it is a great bargain even when fully loaded.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:28 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I would have just gone with an Outback....when you compare what you get... it is a great bargain even when fully loaded.
Spotty dog was considering a Mercedes and you are suggesting him to buy a Subaru. Come on .......Okay Acura isn't Mercedes quality either but I'm guessing it would be the lowest premium vehicle he may want to settle in.
Subaru is a good mass market vehicle with excellent redeeming qualities, but not considered (or even feel like) a true luxury vehicle. Counting the features list doesn't tell you the full story. For that matter, Hyundais and Kia's also have plenty of standard features sometimes even out matching the premium cars. That doesn't make them better than a Mercedes.

Last edited by Comfy; 01-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Spotty dog was considering a Mercedes and you are suggesting him to buy a Subaru. Come on .......Okay Acura isn't Mercedes quality either but I'm guessing it would be the lowest premium vehicle he may want to settle in.
Subaru is a good mass market vehicle with excellent redeeming qualities, but not considered (or even feel like) a true luxury vehicle. Counting the features list doesn't tell you the full story. For that matter, Hyundais and Kia's also have plenty of standard features sometimes even out matching the premium cars. That doesn't make them better than a Mercedes.
It's also six inches longer...wouldn't fit in my garage. My wife is a Subie fan and has a Forester...but definitely not luxury even compared to my 2008 RDX.