2016 RDX Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 RDX Maintenance

In December 2018, I purchased a 2016 certified pre-owned RDX with 38,600 miles. 5 1/2 years later, it has 53,000 miles!

In March 2019, the dealer did a brake flush, transmission and transfer case service, and rear differential service. The oil has been changed ever 6 months. I have read it is good to get a brake flush every 3 years. Would changing the antifreeze be a good idea?

What service would you recommend now?

Thank you!

Old 06-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 387 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Anovice
In December 2018, I purchased a 2016 certified pre-owned RDX with 38,600 miles. 5 1/2 years later, it has 53,000 miles!

In March 2019, the dealer did a brake flush, transmission and transfer case service, and rear differential service. The oil has been changed ever 6 months. I have read it is good to get a brake flush every 3 years. Would changing the antifreeze be a good idea?

What service would you recommend now?

Thank you!
Changing antifreeze is a bad idea, it's too early. Keep driving, you don't need any services.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:33 AM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
It's very difficult to know, but with an 8 year old vehicle, it may be a good idea to change the timing belt. These are good for more than 100,000 miles, but the makeup of the belt includes rubber that can age just existing, irrespective of the miles put on it. I can't say I would recommend it (the change is an expensive maintenance item), but I wouldn't argue against it, either. I don't know if the Maintenance Minder works to tell you about the *age* of the timing belt; I have not encountered a vehicle with enough years and as few miles as yours.

I can say that Honda (and most auto manufacturers) say to replace tires (for the same reason) when they are 10 years old, irrespective of the tread. I don't see a similar warning about the timing belt in my (2014) owner's manual.

In case you don't know, the reason this is a potential concern is that the 6-cylinder engine in these vehicles is an 'interference' engine, meaning that if the timing belt breaks in operation, the engine may suffer serious damage (the valves can go into the piston's space, wreaking havoc.)

Finally, I can say that before the 'universal' advent of the Honda Maintenance Minder system, with this engine Honda recommended the timing belt be changed every 105,000 miles *or* every 7 years, which ever happened first. I hope this helps.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
The hounds at my heels will soon enough know that I am a lion.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you can always remove the upper timing belt cover and visually inspect the belt for signs of aging cracks. If there are no aging cracks, then your belt will last for several more years without problems.
But if you want to invest $1500-2000 in a car, you can change the timing belt kit.
Pictured is a cracked 13 year old belt with 110k miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
DCS (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 06:44 AM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
I have read in many places (that doesn't mean it's correct, of course) that as with tires, visual inspection is not necessarily indicative of potential failure; as I understand it, that is why manufacturers include a time frame as well as a mileage warning.

I have no personal experience with this phenomenon, as I have always reached the mileage count before the time 'limit', so I am not offering advice, simply pointing out what I have been given to understand.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The most dangerous phrase in the language is, 'We've always done it this way.'" -- Grace Hopper
Old 06-15-2024, 07:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kelsen
I have read in many places (that doesn't mean it's correct, of course) that as with tires, visual inspection is not necessarily indicative of potential failure; as I understand it, that is why manufacturers include a time frame as well as a mileage warning.

I have no personal experience with this phenomenon, as I have always reached the mileage count before the time 'limit', so I am not offering advice, simply pointing out what I have been given to understand.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"The most dangerous phrase in the language is, 'We've always done it this way.'" -- Grace Hopper
Since last year I started buying cars from Copart with mechanical damage, usually I buy GM with timing chains, but sometimes I buy Acuras, here are my statistics on Honda timing belt breaks.

The following 2 users liked this post by altair47:
kaehlin (06-16-2024), Kelsen (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 07:06 PM
alexmed2002

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the anti-freeze as it's good for 10 years/100k miles. Brake fluid can get contaminated so keep an eye on the color of it, and have it changed when getting brake work done. The transmission fluid should definitely be changed on these cars, not flushed. Everything else is subjective but not required yet.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I wouldn't bother with the anti-freeze as it's good for 10 years/100k miles. Brake fluid can get contaminated so keep an eye on the color of it, and have it changed when getting brake work done. The transmission fluid should definitely be changed on these cars, not flushed. Everything else is subjective but not required yet.
I go to a mechanic who prefers I bring the fluids. A few questions:

1. What color should the brake fluid be?
2. If it needs to be replaced, what type and how much?
3. What is the difference between changing and flushing the transmission fluid?
4. What type of transmission fluid?
5. How much transmission fluid does the RDX take?

Thank you!
Old 06-17-2024, 12:03 PM
alexmed2002

I go to a mechanic who prefers I bring the fluids. A few questions:

1. What color should the brake fluid be?
2. If it needs to be replaced, what type and how much?
3. What is the difference between changing and flushing the transmission fluid?
4. What type of transmission fluid?
5. How much transmission fluid does the RDX take?

Thank you!
1. It should clear with a slight yellow tint usually.
2. If it is brown or very dark, it should be replaced with DOT 3 brake fluid. Some people say DOT 4 is fine but it's entirely up to you. I'd grab 2-3 bottles since they're dirt cheap (less than $10 in most cases).
3. Changing the transmission fluid means you drain the fluid and refill, whereas flushing involves using a very high pressure machine that is meant to clean the entire transmission out. Flushing should really only be used when something like the wrong fluid is used, or some other instances. You should never have it flushed and stick with having it drained and refilled.
4. Your best bet is to stick with Acura's ATF-DW1.
5. It should be around 3.3 Quarts.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Alex,

Thank you for your post.

I was looking at my first post and yours of the other day where you said " The transmission fluid should definitely be changed on these cars, not flushed". While it has been 5 1/2 years since purchasing the RDX, the dealer changed the transmission fluid and transfer case (his notes say that both are routinely done at the same time) just before I picked up the car. I have only put on 14,400 miles since December 2018. With this low mileage, do you still suggest that the transmission fluid be changed? Transfer case?

Thank you.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:41 PM
alexmed2002

Alex,

Thank you for your post.

I was looking at my first post and yours of the other day where you said " The transmission fluid should definitely be changed on these cars, not flushed". While it has been 5 1/2 years since purchasing the RDX, the dealer changed the transmission fluid and transfer case (his notes say that both are routinely done at the same time) just before I picked up the car. I have only put on 14,400 miles since December 2018. With this low mileage, do you still suggest that the transmission fluid be changed? Transfer case?

Thank you.
If you have less than 15k miles since the last change, I wouldn't worry about the transmission and transfer case fluid then. I'd change them both every 30k-60k miles.