2015 RDX-Check Emissions light

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 RDX-Check Emissions light

Hi,
It's been awhile since I've had problems with my 2015 RDX, but this forum has been so helpful when meeting with the service guys at the dealer, I had a question for the group. My car was jerking (it did it literally one day) took to the dealer and they suggested a transmission flush as it was due (My car has 142k). I was concerned bc I read here that sometimes a flash can alter the sensors etc. They told me that was only true for the air conditioner not the transmission.- so I went with it. It's been a week no issue. However, today the service A13 came on and then the Check Emissions light came on. I called the dealer and they want me to bring it in tomorrow. I'm so frustrated because first I asked them if it was due for a service to minimize me coming in to the shop and of course they said no (I wonder if it is because of the $150 fee just to look at the tran.) Anyway, I'm really hoping to hold onto my 2015 RDX and wondering what is my best approach with the dealer as they always are trying to get over. My car has been dealer maintained when I purchased. I got a new Catalytic converter when it hit 100k. It is driving fine except for that one day it was problematic. . Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2022, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
So, a few things to talk about here.

Did you bring it to a Honda/Acura dealer, or some independent place? I ask because you are not supposed to flush these transmissions, you're supposed to gravity drain and fill them. You say the car has been dealer maintained so I'm going to assume it was Honda/Acura and they did the correct procedure of draining and filling. There are various other things that can cause your trans to jerk. The transmission software update will be the biggest help if you are still experiencing the issue. Otherwise, replacing transmission pressure switches (particularly the switches for gears 3, 4, and 5) could also help. Additionally, you may have torn transmission mounts or something. Ultimately, if I had to guess, you likely had dirty fluid and it hasn't been changed as often as it needs to be. The factory recommended interval for trans fluid changes in this car is too long in my opinion....Do you know if they replaced all ~9qts of trans fluid?

As far as your service light, A13 would include the trans fluid replacement, coincidentally. Though there isn't a way to exactly tell when the service light will appear, the techs or porters who took in your car would have almost certainly seen the "oil life at 10%" and knew a service was about to be needed....I guess there's a chance that it was overlooked. Not a good practice on the dealers part to have an oversight like that though. Especially if that's the only place the car is serviced, they know their intervals....

That being said, if you already had all of the trans fluid replaced, the service is now just for an oil change and tire rotation. I would try to negotiate for a discount just because they could have gotten this all done at once, had someone simply looked at the oil life display in the car. (Unless they are indeed trying to dick you over for more money..)

Anyhow, I would bet on your random jerkiness just being from past due fluid, but if you're still experiencing issues I would talk to the dealer about the software update to the trans, per Acura service bulletin 17-017 or 17-018.

Additionally, I don't believe there is any connection to your check emissions light coming on. This is likely just a coincidence. It could be anything from a loose gas cap to a failing o2 sensor. Ask them to to provide you the codes the car is showing for the emission system, that way you can know if it's just for a sensor, if you have an issue with your cat, etc.

Old 03-08-2022, 03:12 PM
10th Gear

thanks

Thank you! I have no idea if they drained it all. Yes it was the dealer.. I will ask for the codes. I did ask about an update as I saw that on this forum but they said there was no update. I will also also to see the sensors. Thanks again for the quick response. I really have to go into these dealers equipped!!
Old 03-09-2022, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tamika Stewart
Thank you! I have no idea if they drained it all. Yes it was the dealer.. I will ask for the codes. I did ask about an update as I saw that on this forum but they said there was no update. I will also also to see the sensors. Thanks again for the quick response. I really have to go into these dealers equipped!!
That's good. And it seems like half of the dealerships do not know about that service bulletin/software update. You can search the number online and show them the actual document if you bring it in. Again, it may only be worth it if you're still experiencing issues. Making sure your fluid is completely changed is the main thing here.

Also, there is no way to "see" the condition of the pressure switches, or even test if they're worn out, other than experiencing shift issues. These are another thing some dealers don't even mess with. The pressure switches would be at the bottom of the list compared to the complete fluid change and the trans software update.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:57 AM
10th Gear

Hydraulic spool valve

So they are saying I need new hydraulic spool valve. They said it fails often due to age and is t connected to work done on trans…. $990.. ugh

QUOTE=TheSauceBossso ;16802554]That's good. And it seems like half of the dealerships do not know about that service bulletin/software update. You can search the number online and show them the actual document if you bring it in. Again, it may only be worth it if you're still experiencing issues. Making sure your fluid is completely changed is the main thing here.

Also, there is no way to "see" the condition of the pressure switches, or even test if they're worn out, other than experiencing shift issues. These are another thing some dealers don't even mess with. The pressure switches would be at the bottom of the list compared to the complete fluid change and the trans software update.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-09-2022, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Wtf? I've never even heard of that part. Maybe they're talking about the valve body assembly for the trans? I'm wondering how they came to that conclusion? Did they provide you a part number of what would need replaced? I'm slightly skeptical but maybe we need more info. The pressure switches we talked about earlier are located on this assembly, I would like to believe that the switches would need replaced before the entire assembly would be....

Can you tell us if you're still experiencing issues with the trans? What are the symptoms?
Old 03-09-2022, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

Ok. so it is the back side of the cylinder head on the engine and there are no switches involved. It is the oil control valve. The part is warrantied for 12k. He said that sometimes they just fail.
Part 15820RZ0A05.- Acura part. He said it was coincidence.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
For what it's worth, that does not appear to be an Acura part number. I searched 4 different Acura parts stores online. None of them list it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
In England “booster shot” is spelled “borchestershire shot.”
Old 03-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I found a similar part name/number. I'm still confused about this though. The description almost seems like a vtec solenoid. But it could also just be an oil control valve. I'm not a certified mechanic....

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...0-5g0-a01.html

Is it possible that OPs engine was performing poorly and it was misinterpreted as a "transmission issue"?
Old 03-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
I found a similar part name/number. I'm still confused about this though. The description almost seems like a vtec solenoid. But it could also just be an oil control valve. I'm not a certified mechanic....

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...0-5g0-a01.html

Is it possible that OPs engine was performing poorly and it was misinterpreted as a "transmission issue"?
Hmmm. Good find, although according to that page, it is only for the 16-18 RDX, versus the 15 that the OP is driving. Still, it could be a misdiagnosis. Honestly, at this stage in my life, I tend to be perhaps too willing to accept the notion that most people don't know what the fuck they are doing, and that seems to me to be more likely than ever with respect to dealers.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson