2013 - RDX AWD Mileage - Trip Estimator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 - RDX AWD Mileage - Trip Estimator Issues

I was showing about 440 miles as Range when I filled up my 2013 RDX AWD with 91 Octane, but only getting about 340-360 actual miles. Is there anything wrong with Trip Estimater. Anyone having this issue?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by myrdx_white
I was showing about 440 miles as Range when I filled up my 2013 RDX AWD with 91 Octane, but only getting about 340-360 actual miles. Is there anything wrong with Trip Estimater. Anyone having this issue?
I know folks are going to come in bragging about 30mpg average...going uphill...in the snow...fully loaded...BUT;
the calculator must think you will be driving at moderate highway speeds to figure on 440 miles from the tank. Might be interesting to watch how it 'counts down' the range as you go through the tank(sudden re-calculation or gradual adjustment for driving style, etc)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:41 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
It does the same thing in my TSX, RDX and MDX with the DTE estimation being a little on the high side on fill-ups. I use my "A trip" mileage more and I can go around 325-350 miles between fill ups. I only look at my DTE when I'm getting close to empty and go past my +325 mile average per tank.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM
7th Gear

How are you guys getting these range numbers? I have a 2014 AWD base and my range is around 360 kms which converts to 230 miles...Is there something wrong with my RDX? I drive 70% city and 30% highway.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Appears to calculate based on your last trip. So when I did all highway, and average 24-25mpg, range is higher on fillup. I do mainly city, lower mpg, and the range can drop way down on those refills.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I'm not sure what timing Honda/Acura uses but BMW uses the last ten minutes of driving data to determine your range and virtually all will overestimate your gas mileage.

The OP will find that his estimated range will fluctuate throughout the tank depending on where/how he is driving.

My daily commute has virtually no traffic in the morning but heavy traffic in the evening. My commute is about 30 miles each way.

If my range indicates 260 miles when I start in the morning, then I'll finish my commute with about 280 miles of range (yes, I went backwards). By the time I've made it out of the parking garage (starting and slow speeds through the garage suck up gas) I'll be at 270 and by the time I get home I'll be at 200 or so. I've found that with a half tank I gain about 20 miles of range in the morning and lose about 80 at night. The gains and losses get smaller as fuel level drops.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I beleive that the trip calculator is based on that specific tank. Often once you pull out of the gas station things look more optimistic and as you put on city miles the MPG calculation decreases to reflect the real world driving on that tank. That's just my guess. I do seem to show 450 or so as soon as I refill and then also get around 300-350 until I refill.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Use a pen and a piece of paper like we did in the "Old Days". Before they came out with these new fangled gadgets.... That don't really work as good as the old pen & paper method.

If you don't know how to do it, ask an older person at the pump next to yours. The fellow with the pen and paper in hand....
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ The pen and paper are good for calculating your fuel efficiency on the previous tank while the fuel estimator is good for giving you an idea how far you will be able to go on the remaining tank. That is all I use it for, a rough guide to see how far I can make it...once I fill up, I'll do it the old fashion way.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
After you do that guess estimating thing a couple of times. Is should be self evident that what ever it is will be 'what it is". And not necessitate doing it again.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a definition of insanity. Or.... someone with too much time on their hands (LOL)?

Gas up the vehicle and drive it.... what ever will be.... will be. It is what it is.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The pen and paper method is of course the most accurate, but it is also useful in determining how far off the car's trip computer calculation is. If you are lucky, it will always err in the same direction about the same amount so that you can get a better idea of real-time mileage. My Legacy reads about 1.2MPG optimistic and it is very predictable. My wife's Explorer is anywhere from 1.6MPG optimistic to .3 too low. That thing is all over the place and just about completely useless.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by ARascal
After you do that guess estimating thing a couple of times. Is should be self evident that what ever it is will be 'what it is". And not necessitate doing it again.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a definition of insanity. Or.... someone with too much time on their hands (LOL)?

Gas up the vehicle and drive it.... what ever will be.... will be. It is what it is.
Que sera sera - that really dates you. But you're right, the future's not ours to see....

Last edited by ceb; 09-22-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That reminds me of folks who get in a twist over their car not having an exterior temp readout or complain that theirs is never right. It what it is
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Use a pen and a piece of paper like we did in the "Old Days". Before they came out with these new fangled gadgets.... That don't really work as good as the old pen & paper method.

If you don't know how to do it, ask an older person at the pump next to yours. The fellow with the pen and paper in hand....

Oooohhhhhhhh.... tell us about rotary dial phones too.... please?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
mrgold35

I use an app on my iPhone called "Road Trip". It keeps track of my maint, gas stops, expenses, road trips, and any stats related to driving (CO2, gallons used, miles per day avg, cost per day, etc...). It is an electronic version of pen/paper. I use it to input everything related to the vehicles to get the true cost of ownership.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I use an app on my iPhone called "Road Trip". It keeps track of my maint, gas stops, expenses, road trips, and any stats related to driving (CO2, gallons used, miles per day avg, cost per day, etc...). It is an electronic version of pen/paper. I use it to input everything related to the vehicles to get the true cost of ownership.
Just curious. How do you use all that data?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by jbernardk
Just curious. How do you use all that data?
I mostly got it to keep track of my maint on all three vehicles. I rotate and cross rotate tires every oil change and I had a hard time remembering what I did last with 3 vehicles and 3 drivers. It also helps me keep track of things like:
- when I last changed key fob and Ent remote batteries
- unscheduled maint and cost
- mods
- gas cost
- mileage since last alignment (lifetime warranty with firestone, always needs some adjustment everytime)
- etc...

I also trying to get my son to understand what it take to own and service a vehicle by keeping track and being proactive about routine and basic care of the TSX using the reminder feature. A simple thing like rotating your tires can save you $$ down the road. It is also an easy way to double-check how well he is doing without constantly asking him because the one app sync with all of our smartphones using Dropbox. True cost of ownership is more than car payment, gas, maint and insurance. This app can give you a true cost of everything related to your vehicle at once (cost per mile). I don't put the insurance cost in Road Trip; but, you can add this cost.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I mostly got it to keep track of my maint on all three vehicles. I rotate and cross rotate tires every oil change and I had a hard time remembering what I did last with 3 vehicles and 3 drivers. It also helps me keep track of things like:
- when I last changed key fob and Ent remote batteries
- unscheduled maint and cost
- mods
- gas cost
- mileage since last alignment (lifetime warranty with firestone, always needs some adjustment everytime)
- etc...

I also trying to get my son to understand what it take to own and service a vehicle by keeping track and being proactive about routine and basic care of the TSX using the reminder feature. A simple thing like rotating your tires can save you $$ down the road. It is also an easy way to double-check how well he is doing without constantly asking him because the one app sync with all of our smartphones using Dropbox. True cost of ownership is more than car payment, gas, maint and insurance. This app can give you a true cost of everything related to your vehicle at once (cost per mile). I don't put the insurance cost in Road Trip; but, you can add this cost.
My father was old-school. Everything he did to his car, from oil, gas, maintenance, etc was written in a small notebook that he kept in the glovebox.

Like him, I followed suit until one day, I realized that while it was nice to know, I did nothing with the book other than write in it.

Opinions vary from owner-to-owner as to who works on their car but I suspect as long as you're following the maintenance reminder, tires will be rotated, oil will be changed, etc, etc.

To me, the rest of the costs are a "so-what?". I have to pay them and while I'm frugal to the point of cheap, I'll pay them to keep my vehicles in top-shape. At the end of the day, there's rarely much I can do to impact those costs and I have no interest in knowing that cost - only that it was accomplished.

There's huge value in what you're teaching your son - don't get me wrong - most people don't maintain their vehicles properly. Kudos to you for being a stand-up dad!