12v DC connectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013 | 01:09 PM
Advanced

12v DC connectors

What is the difference between two 12v power outlets ? One (between front sits,under armrest) will charge the iphone while the other (in the front of gear shifter) will not ...
Old 10-11-2013 | 02:34 PM
Instructor

Shouldn't be any difference, per the manual, the total load can't exceed 10 amps on both, but you should certainly be able to charge your phone on either. Do you know if the one jack works for other devices?
Old 10-11-2013 | 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I ran into something similar on a gm minivan that my customer plugs an oxygen generator into. On this one, the receptacle furthest from the driver is for accessories, the closer one is for a cigar lighter element. Upon closer inspection, the accessory one is a little deeper. I did a little more searching and found out a couple more things. The cigar lighter socket is supposed to be 20.97mm nominal size to grip the element tighter. It's also designed to heat resistant. The accessory socket is supposed to be 21.455mm nominal size, and in my experience it's also deeper.
Old 10-12-2013 | 08:54 AM
Advanced

Well, my Galaxy (wife has iphone) charges in both. We tried 3 iphone cables and all doing the same thing. Wonder if someone else with iphone is seeing that ??? I know that connection is made as some of these cables have LED on the top which is on when connected ...
Old 10-12-2013 | 11:08 AM
Racer

Are your cables from a third party or from Apple? I had problems with some (cheap) third-party cables that went away when I switched to the original Apple-supplied cable.

Gregg
Old 10-12-2013 | 02:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by vbgregg
Are your cables from a third party or from Apple? I had problems with some (cheap) third-party cables that went away when I switched to the original Apple-supplied cable.

Gregg
Gregg my be onto something ... when I updated to iOS7, my aftermarket accessory cables stopped working. The phone now tells me that it knows they aren't Apple equipment and that they "might not work" with the iPhone. Apparently they've chipped the genuine Apple accessories and the phone now checks to see if it's the real thing.

Otherwise, it has something to do with the socket or the accessory's plug. I've found several things over the years that didn't fit in the socket of various cars just right. Some I could press down on or wiggle around and they'd work, but only if I held them in place.
Old 10-13-2013 | 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vbgregg

Gregg
We're using some 'less cheap' aftermarket cables and both outlets work fine. I imagine the weak link in these things would be the contacts...I remember one plug that had to be in JUST the right position to work in our C70. I've gotten a number of clearance cable combos from Home Depot...CE TECH is one brand that had 12v and household adapters, cable for five bucks! Can't have too many with iPhone, iPad, numerous charging locations, vehicles, etc.
Old 10-14-2013 | 08:40 AM
Make it #7!

I keep my radar detector plugged in all the time in the console outlet and my phone charger and emergency blue light (using a dual power plug) in the forward outlet with no problems.