WTF!! MY CARRRRR!! Hope not tranny related??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF!! MY CARRRRR!! Hope not tranny related??

Hey guys, I was coming from my girlfriend house and my car has been off for about half an hour. I get in the car and she and i head to my parents house. As i get a mile up the road my car is in d4 and the car shutters abit, then the vsa light comes on, the check engine light comes on and the /!\ light comes on. WTF??? Is that tranny related or what. I was able to make it to my parents house and my car was able to shift, but was shifting hard. I turned my car off, and waited for about 5 mins and turned the car back on. The engine light was on, however the (VSA) light and /!\ light was off. I drove my car for half a mile and the engine light stayed on and the car was shifting normally. Has this happened to anyone??? Is this my O2 sensor or is this tranny related?? Is my tranny about to die?? I need to know because it's saturday night and acura service is closed on sunday and I don't know what to do. Do i keep on driving or keep the car parked since only the engine light is on now.

Thx in advance for the help.
Thoro
Old 10-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Mods - Can you move this to transmission section!!

Thx
thoro
Old 10-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next time you drive it should be to the dealer. Your trans is dying.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:02 PM
the last one alive

Yep, sounds like another tranny gone bad to me...

Originally posted by JRock
Old 10-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Damn and I was talking so much shit about that the tranny problems are just the few. I guess now I can add my self to the phucking list. Oh well. I am going straight to radley acura as since they are a full service dealership i can get another acura instead of freaking enterprise rental.

Damn am i the only one in MD with a bad tranny on the forum
Old 10-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

ok one more thing. Will i get lip from the service department since i have the AEM pulleys and CAI installed on my car???
Old 10-12-2002, 11:09 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I did not see any "lights" during my trans failure. And i drove it for a week while it was misbehaving.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
Damn and I was talking so much shit about that the tranny problems are just the few. I guess now I can add my self to the phucking list. Oh well. I am going straight to radley acura as since they are a full service dealership i can get another acura instead of freaking enterprise rental.

Yea mine did it tonight but no lights yet. I was cruising at 40, and all of a sudden I felt a shudder, and lost all power, saw the rpms go down from 1500~ to 700 for a good 2-3 secs and popped back up. Had a passenger with me too that saw that. I am just waiting for those lights to turn on before the car goes in...

9600 miles so far, got a 600 ,mile trip next weekend total to make it through, hope it makes it!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS

Definitely not. I know at least two other ACL members from MD have had theirs replaced.

What dealer do you go to?

Rockdog: A good number of people report having the lights do just about exactly what ThoroDred reports his did. Others do not. Chalk it up to the wonderful inconsistencies of part failure recognition in the ECU.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Definitely not. I know at least two other ACL members from MD have had theirs replaced.

Rockdog: A good number of people report having the lights do just about exactly what ThoroDred reports his did. Others do not. Chalk it up to the wonderful inconsistencies of part failure recognition in the ECU.
Jrock - I usually deal with Tischer Acura. My service advisor there is pretty good, HOWEVER, I don't like the rentals there. The last time i went to tischer they gave me lip about my mods and that they are not covered and this and that. I don't want any problems with getting a new transmission. I am just going to take the hit and go to radley. They have a bigger selection of cars and they always give you another acura Do you recommend any other dealerships to go to???????
Old 10-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Pro

Hard to tell with the mods. Acura has admitted a problem with the tranny's but some dealers can be pricks and say no way because of the mods. You could fight and likely win as they do have a track record of problems. I'd change the mods out before taking it in myself.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
When your car shuttered at 45 mph and went down to 700 rpms and came back up, its not a tranny problem. All i know is at 300 miles on my brand new 03 Cl-S, it did the exact same thing. It happened 2 more times that week. I've drove 1400 miles since, and no problem!
Old 10-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro

Mine does this all the time - and it is getting worse .. Honda claims there is "nothing wrong with this transmission" .. but the fact that it does it leads me to believe there is another problem with this transmission ... that they won't acknowledge

-Andy
Old 10-13-2002, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DivinDude
Mine does this all the time - and it is getting worse .. Honda claims there is "nothing wrong with this transmission" .. but the fact that it does it leads me to believe there is another problem with this transmission ... that they won't acknowledge

-Andy
Well my car has a shutter here and there, but this was a bad one that it did. Never seen it do this this bad where I actually saw the rpms drop.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by SilverBullet
Well my car has a shutter here and there, but this was a bad one that it did. Never seen it do this this bad where I actually saw the rpms drop.
Well day two, I drove the car for about 5 miles today and the only thing i am noticing is the check engine light. I kept the rpms under 4000 and i haven't noticed anything today. I called acura but service is not open. In the honda letter to the public it states that the driver will get a sign that the tranny is going way in advance before the tranny actually goes. Well I think this is my way in advance notice. It was just strange yesterday that all my lights came on like that. Trust me if you was in the car it would have scared the $hit out of you how the car was acting. The second thing is when i came to a complete stop, the car acted like it was gasping for oxygen and it kept acting like it wanted to shut off. I never stopped for a complete second because i didn't want my car to shut off. Who knows, i will keep you guys informed about my problems as I am going to radley acura EARLY morning tomorrow. :thumbsdn:
Old 10-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Ok guys I came back from the dealer at mid day today and found out that the problem with my car was the throtte response system. The ECU in the middle of driving had reset it self. Beats the shiznits out of me why my car did that. Seems like my car is fine and none of my lights are on anymore. The tranny is shifting even smoother that before. So NO it's not tranny related and I am guessing I am one of the few that are still driving with tranny going for right now. Over all I was happy with my service except them washing my car with out me telling them they could. I received a billion paint swirls on my car and my beautiful polish was wiped off. All and all I am just glad my car is fixed. No major problem!! I even got a chance today to put a few coats of z on.

thoro
Old 10-18-2002, 02:08 AM
Racer

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has been able to experience a tranny failure both ways... once with no lights, and once with lights. Gee, I'm cool.