well it finally happened...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004 | 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

well it finally happened...

my tranny took a shit!

scariest thing in the world---> when your driving on the highway around 70 mph and your tranny shifts from 5th to 2nd when you give it 3/4th throttle!!!!!!!

no D5 flash no check engine. drove the car to the dealership and she drove fine. then took the acura tech for a spin and right when we pull out of the lot the tranny slips from 2nd to 3rd

both the service guy and tech told me that they rarely have any tranny problems

what was interesting though was the tech tells me when they do have trannies replaced all they do is order it and sometimes its a rebuilt tranny they take the old one and take out the new one out of the crate and swap them out. they dont even bother taking it apart. what is weird is that sometimes they send just a tranny replacement and sometimes they send both tranny and ecu.

so i have no freakin idea whats going to go in my car! for all i know it could be someone on this board's dead transmission!

sidemarker
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

welcome to the club.
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:51 PM
Dragging knees in

Re: well it finally happened...

Originally posted by sidemarker
my tranny took a shit!

scariest thing in the world---> when your driving on the highway around 70 mph and your tranny shifts from 5th to 2nd when you give it 3/4th throttle!!!!!!!

no D5 flash no check engine. drove the car to the dealership and she drove fine. then took the acura tech for a spin and right when we pull out of the lot the tranny slips from 2nd to 3rd

both the service guy and tech told me that they rarely have any tranny problems

what was interesting though was the tech tells me when they do have trannies replaced all they do is order it and sometimes its a rebuilt tranny they take the old one and take out the new one out of the crate and swap them out. they dont even bother taking it apart. what is weird is that sometimes they send just a tranny replacement and sometimes they send both tranny and ecu.

so i have no freakin idea whats going to go in my car! for all i know it could be someone on this board's dead transmission!

sidemarker
Those techs obviously have no focking clue what they are doing.

The early transmission replacements only came with the new (rebuilt) transmission. Then afterwards, Acura decided to reprogram the PCM. That's what they are talking about. Earlier transmission replacement recipients have been instructed to bring the car back in for PCM update.

And they rarely have transmission problems? Wow, Texas must be immune to this problem.

Find another dealership. Obviously they either don't know what they are doing or are BSing with you for whatever reason. Either way, it's not good.

Good luck and sorry to hear that. Must've been scary as hell for that to happen at highway speeds.
Old 02-02-2004 | 11:53 PM
Sweet as Gold

Yep...when we order them...sometimes u get a new one and sometimes u get a rebuild one. All of them get ECU's for the first time except 99TL's and certain models get a fuel pressure regulator. It sucks that some people get new ones and others don't...best of luck!
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

oh yeah i also want to mention

i always heard about peoples tranny breaking and ive always worried about mine craping out. BUT i never thought it would happen to me

so i dont care what the freaking numbers say 1% or even 5%

everyones tranny is going to blow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sidemarker
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:33 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by mattg
welcome to the club.
This ain't a good club to which one wants to belong, though.
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:40 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by Bulldog01
This ain't a good club to which one wants to belong, though.

why not? FREE TRANNY!
Old 02-03-2004 | 09:46 AM
Masshole

The first free tranny came after the dreaded-5th-to-2nd downshift...I nearly shat myself. And, that free tranny didn't last as long as the original. Although, I have more miles on the second free tranny (30k), than the I had on the first free tranny (27k).
Old 02-03-2004 | 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

where in tx are you,, what dealer told you this stuff???
Old 02-03-2004 | 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Welcome!!
Old 02-03-2004 | 11:48 AM
'Cooter

Re: well it finally happened...

Originally posted by sidemarker
what was interesting though was the tech tells me when they do have trannies replaced all they do is order it and sometimes its a rebuilt tranny they take the old one and take out the new one out of the crate and swap them out. they dont even bother taking it apart.
yer not supposed to take it apart...Honda doesn't want a dealership to start messin with the internals before installing/sending one back...that would be pretty dumb
Old 02-03-2004 | 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fender4
where in tx are you,, what dealer told you this stuff???
san antonio

Gunn Acura

sidemarker
Old 02-03-2004 | 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: well it finally happened...

Originally posted by Scooter
yer not supposed to take it apart...Honda doesn't want a dealership to start messin with the internals before installing/sending one back...that would be pretty dumb
Yep, in fact:

The Acura service bulletin -- related to slushbox exchange -- tells the dealer that they get to foot the entire cost of the replacement tranny if they open up the busted one.
Old 02-03-2004 | 10:29 PM
///M POWER

sorry bro, reminds me i gotta check my tranny fluid
Old 02-05-2004 | 04:15 PM
Resident DJ

Sorry to hear about that man...totally sux....glad nobody was hurt.

My transmision was replaced at about 12,200 miles. I now have about 33K on the car and everything seems to be alright. It's just a totally random, hit or miss kind of thing.

I have a stupid question though. Hopefully this isn't too off-topic for this thread.

I just had my car at the dealership for an oil change, and they called me while it was there. They were basically trying to sell me the 35,000 service (for $400 fawking dollars!! Jeezus!!). Needless to say, at that price, I declined.

My question though is that they told me that my transmission fluid had "lost its conditioner". That is what it says right here on the receipt I'm holding.

WTF is "transmission fluid conditioner?"

Is "tranny fluid conditioner" a real substance that I should be concerned about, or was this just service department BS trying to screw a good customer? The last I knew, transmission fluid went into the transmission case, and nothing else. Were they saying that the built-in conditioners in the tranny fluid were breaking down since they thought my tranny had 33K miles on it (even though they are the very god damn place that installed my replacement tranny and should know that it only has 20K miles on it!!!)?

If this is BS, I'm going to be so pissed at this f*cking dealership. Even aside from this question, Rosenthal Acura (in Gaithersburg, MD) has gone downhill in a major way IMO, especially the service dept. Their service reps are more like damn sales reps for car parts than the "customer advocates" that they should be.

I did a lot a reading a while back and most people are of the opinion that if nothing seems wrong with your transmission, then it is probably not necessary to change the transmission fluid until at least 35,000 miles (My car has 33K but my "new" tranny only has about 20K now).

Can anyone drop some knowledge on this?

Thanks if ne1 has info.

-skyeflye
Old 02-06-2004 | 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by skyeflye
Sorry to hear about that man...totally sux....glad nobody was hurt.

My transmision was replaced at about 12,200 miles. I now have about 33K on the car and everything seems to be alright. It's just a totally random, hit or miss kind of thing.

I have a stupid question though. Hopefully this isn't too off-topic for this thread.

I just had my car at the dealership for an oil change, and they called me while it was there. They were basically trying to sell me the 35,000 service (for $400 fawking dollars!! Jeezus!!). Needless to say, at that price, I declined.

My question though is that they told me that my transmission fluid had "lost its conditioner". That is what it says right here on the receipt I'm holding.

WTF is "transmission fluid conditioner?"

Is "tranny fluid conditioner" a real substance that I should be concerned about, or was this just service department BS trying to screw a good customer? The last I knew, transmission fluid went into the transmission case, and nothing else. Were they saying that the built-in conditioners in the tranny fluid were breaking down since they thought my tranny had 33K miles on it (even though they are the very god damn place that installed my replacement tranny and should know that it only has 20K miles on it!!!)?

If this is BS, I'm going to be so pissed at this f*cking dealership. Even aside from this question, Rosenthal Acura (in Gaithersburg, MD) has gone downhill in a major way IMO, especially the service dept. Their service reps are more like damn sales reps for car parts than the "customer advocates" that they should be.

I did a lot a reading a while back and most people are of the opinion that if nothing seems wrong with your transmission, then it is probably not necessary to change the transmission fluid until at least 35,000 miles (My car has 33K but my "new" tranny only has about 20K now).

Can anyone drop some knowledge on this?

Thanks if ne1 has info.

-skyeflye

One ATF conditoner (for example):

http://www.discount-auto-parts.ws/pa...oner-24-oz.php

"Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Its polymetric film renews worn bands to stop slipping. It will extend fluid life up to three times longer. Results are usually immediate. This product is an excellent preventative maintenance product to stop initial wear in newer transmissions. It is a must for motor homes, towing vehicles, and all other hard working transmissions. Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life. Compatible with all transmissions and transmission fluids. Will not void new car warranties. Contains no harmful solvents. Key Benefits: Contains no solvents Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases Comes in a 24 oz. bottle. "

I don't understand why they wouldn't just follow the ACURA service manual and flush and/or change your ATF it they thought it was bad. Do they have a chemist at the dealership? Proclaiming that you “lost” your “conditioner” is too silly.

Look, if a service manager or tech said, "Hey, we've found that we like this ATF conditioner and think it might help..." -- great, it’s their opinion.

Just pull out your ATF dipstick and look at the color of it and see if it is really dark and check for a burnt smell (this would not be good). At the very worst, you will waste some $$$ having some shop change or flush it. As for keeping old ATF in with some "ATF conditioner", take a pass.

BTW, the "when" you change your ATF probably has a great deal to do with how you drive. If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving; uphill driving; repeated shifting; driving in elevated temperatures; you should think about changing your ATF sooner. OTOH, if you only hit the freeway and barely shift the car and keep it cruising, you might be ok (just check the color and see if it is clear/light colored).