warning, comptech trans cooler issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warning, comptech trans cooler issue

I had the autotrans oil jet mod installed at the dealer and now I will install the comptech cooler. The problem is the plumbing attachments for the cooler lines at the trans will conflick with the oil jet lines. I have contacted comptech and they are working a solution. If you have this cooler already on and go in for the oil jet update they could really mess things up. Warning Warning
Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Old 07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Originally Posted by fender4
I had the autotrans oil jet mod installed at the dealer and now I will install the comptech cooler. The problem is the plumbing attachments for the cooler lines at the trans will conflick with the oil jet lines. I have contacted comptech and they are working a solution. If you have this cooler already on and go in for the oil jet update they could really mess things up. Warning Warning
I would like to know what the response will be since I got my injector update yesterday, and was planning to install the tranny cooler along with the SC... Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Humm. interesting. I had the tranny oil jet installed last Thursday by the dealer and there was no problem. My tranny cooler has been on the car since Sept of last year. The dealer did not say anything about it being a problem. In fact as far as I can tell, they did'nt even touch the tranny cooler lines. Not sure why you would have a problem.
Keep us updated.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Originally Posted by rchavis
Humm. interesting. I had the tranny oil jet installed last Thursday by the dealer and there was no problem. My tranny cooler has been on the car since Sept of last year. The dealer did not say anything about it being a problem. In fact as far as I can tell, they did'nt even touch the tranny cooler lines. Not sure why you would have a problem.

Keep us updated.

Probably due to increased intelligence of the dealer (well, maybe it was just dumb luck) for not specializing in hiring techs that "get hung up" when they see something that isn't described by a "Your Acura For Dummies Flowchart."

It is interesting that a few mechanics/techs can still toss a few bits (odd ‘n ends) together to get something working.

As for the meatheads that can't hookup a few fittings:

Old 07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Keep us updated.
Yes after looking at both diagrams (Comptech directions and Service bulliton) it is possible to hook up a cooler BUT it's also possible to Not hook it up and run the lines back into to the trans as per the directions state. I would double check their work just to be safe,, easier would be to just feel the trans cooler and insure hot oil is flowing.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Waste of space...

You've got to be kidding...

Your warning people to be on the look out for morons. Give me a break...

I suppose if I run into some clowns that want to deny warranty service for the transmission due to lowering springs, I should tell people to wait for them until the transmission breaks.

You need to find a new dealer. Just tell the current folks to “step away from the car…”
Old 07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes after looking at both diagrams (Comptech directions and Service bulliton) it is possible to hook up a cooler BUT it's also possible to Not hook it up and run the lines back into to the trans as per the directions state. I would double check their work just to be safe,, easier would be to just feel the trans cooler and insure hot oil is flowing.
(El CLS beat my responce)
Old 07-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Anything is possible if the techs are stupid enough...

I wouldn't take the car back their if anyone mangled a job as you've described...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was worried at the start of this thread.

But not anymore.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll be installing the cooler this fri,,, hopefully I'll figure out the right lines,,, one other problem I noticed,, the oil jet takes the place of the fill plug NOW how our we to add / change trans oil.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

I'll be installing the cooler this fri,,, hopefully I'll figure out the right lines,,, one other problem I noticed,, the oil jet takes the place of the fill plug NOW how our we to add / change trans oil.

You mean they last long enough for us to have to add/change transmission fluid?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I NEED MONEY!

sorry to act like a :noob: but can i get more information on this tranny oil jet...
Old 07-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
sorry to act like a :noob: but can i get more information on this tranny oil jet...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126
Old 07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Ohh sorry I was thinking of something else...I just got that oil jet installed today @ the dealer...my shifts are a bit smoother now...but DAMN! i was planning on getting a tranny cooler...I guess i'll hold back..for awhile...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the oil jet added and they just reconnected the lines to my tranny cooler just as before. There's absolutely no problem and the kit still functions fine. To fill the fluid, you pull the one bolt holding the oil jet in place, pull out the modified filler plug with the hole in it (or use a small enough funnel to pour into the oil jet hole), and pour in your fluid.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by Allout
I had the oil jet added and they just reconnected the lines to my tranny cooler just as before. There's absolutely no problem and the kit still functions fine. To fill the fluid, you pull the one bolt holding the oil jet in place, pull out the modified filler plug with the hole in it (or use a small enough funnel to pour into the oil jet hole), and pour in your fluid.
I've been just thinking about the oil jet location in relationship to the Comptech AT Cooler. Where it's currently installed is between the stock cooler and the Comptech cooler. Fluid is being diverted prior to hitting Comptech cooler and is being re-injected back into the tranny. Depending on how much fluid is flowing through the oil jet, the cooling effect of the Comptech cooler can be greatly reduced.

I think the resolution is to plug the current supply point of the oil jet and tap into the fluid return line AFTER coming out of the Comptech AT Cooler. I'll call Comptech tomorrow to confirm.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:01 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrsteve
You mean they last long enough for us to have to add/change transmission fluid?
#3 did for me.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I've been just thinking about the oil jet location in relationship to the Comptech AT Cooler. Where it's currently installed is between the stock cooler and the Comptech cooler. Fluid is being diverted prior to hitting Comptech cooler and is being re-injected back into the tranny. Depending on how much fluid is flowing through the oil jet, the cooling effect of the Comptech cooler can be greatly reduced.

I think the resolution is to plug the current supply point of the oil jet and tap into the fluid return line AFTER coming out of the Comptech AT Cooler. I'll call Comptech tomorrow to confirm.

Allout, that does sound like a better setup because it would be a lower temp, and would better address what acura is trying to accomplish, more fluid to second gear, which in turn lowers operating temp and reduce failure. I say reduce because IMO, unless the transmission is internally redesign, I do not believe you can completely stop the failure with an add on fix.
Keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Blown is Best

I talked to Comptech today and they have not dealt with the oil jet modification yet. They do agree with my logic on feeding the oil jet from the supply "After" the Comptech tranny cooler. I'm probably going to go back to the dealer and see if I can get the original piping before the mod so I don't have to plug the current source for the oil jet and then cut in a T-fitting into the return line after the Comptech tranny cooler. Comptech doesn't think that the oil jet is taking 100% of the flow from the cooler but does agree that it is reducing the effect of the cooler by diverting flow back into the tranny prior to cooling.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Your still getting help from the cooler ... and ....

I talked to Comptech today and they have not dealt with the oil jet modification yet. They do agree with my logic on feeding the oil jet from the supply "After" the Comptech tranny cooler. I'm probably going to go back to the dealer and see if I can get the original piping before the mod so I don't have to plug the current source for the oil jet and then cut in a T-fitting into the return line after the Comptech tranny cooler. Comptech doesn't think that the oil jet is taking 100% of the flow from the cooler but does agree that it is reducing the effect of the cooler by diverting flow back into the tranny prior to cooling.
Yes, it will reduce the cooling a bit. And, no, there is no way that Acura could afford to simply kill all of the ATF supply by routing it into the squirter. That would be tranny-cide.

The amount of ATF that would be used for the squirter would need to be low enough to provide cooling for the other critical components in the transmission. IOW, the clutch packs. They REALLY need cool ATF (not too cold, but they sure don't need overheated ATF).

If they dumped a ton of ATF at the 2nd gear (via the squirter), there would be very little flow to move through the clutch packs, shafts, and other critical components.

So, yes, it would be better to get ALL the fluid through the B&M (AKA Comptech cooler), but you are still getting a large advantage.

I talked to the folks at Velocity Resources and they thought that the add-on tranny cooler was a “must do.” They also endorsed the “keep the shifts to a minimum” as well. IOW, if you use SS, use it to minimize shift transitions.

Your idea for a mini-relocation shouldn't be too difficult and would complete Acura’s band-aid/hack.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok I put on the cooler,,, But I don't know which way the oil flows... Does it flow out of the present little can cooler or into the from the piping side or hose of the trans?? My route for the comptech cooler is little can to "t" for oil jet, then to the comptech cooler, then to the side inlet tube. It all depends which way the oil flows to how much effect the trans cooler has. Also Comptech called back and by msg said I shouldn't have a problem. I call them back and get the details on Mon.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fender4 please let me lknow how this all works out for you and what CT said. I'm getting the recall done tomorrow and the trans cooler is going to be going on about a week or so later.

Thanks man.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

I need to bring this back up.

Did everything work out okay with the install of the cooler after the oil jet was installed?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Will the trans cooler (B&M) help the problem as a whole, if so where can i purchase and have installed ?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

It will not eliminate the problem, but the trans cooler does a good job of reducing the heat within the transmission, thus causing less wear on problem areas like the clutch packs.

Contact one of the vendors in the Black Market Sponsored sales forum for purchase.

My dealership installed mine.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Advanced

so an acura dealership will install one if asked ? Which would you recommend ?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call around and find a friendly place.

Originally Posted by doublern2003
so an acura dealership will install one if asked ? Which would you recommend ?

Some Acura dealers will install the cooler if asked. Find a mod-friendly dealer and make sure they will honor the warranty on the transmission.

When I called around, some dealers said they would be happy to do it, others were not so enthusiastic, and some didn't want to install the cooler (user supplied B&M and/or Comptech.) A few said they would install the Comptech kit -- which is basically the B&M + instructions, lines, and mounting brackets. When I asked if they would install the B&M without the Comptech box, brackets, whatever, they declined.

Call around...