shifting from 1st to 2nd gear- automatic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting from 1st to 2nd gear- automatic tranny

I had my original transmission replaced at 26000 miles. I now have 43000 on it. The transmission is shifting rough from first to second gear. The best way I can explain it is to say it jitters into second gear. You can even feel this in the steering wheel. This is not just when it is cold. I took it to the dealer 2 months ago and they said it was the front motor mount. They replaced the front motor mount, but this did NOTHING. I just took it in on Teusday for the same issue. They called me yesterday and told me the trans. is shifting fine. I have a hard time believing that this is normal, my first transmission did not do this. Does anybody elses car do this???? Again this is not just when it is cold. All other gears shift perfect. I have a 2001 CL-S automatic with 43000 miles, all stock.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:23 PM
TSX4LIFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st to 2nd gear shift

I think I have noticed the same issue in my 2003 CLS. When the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, I notice a slight "jitter" (for a lack of better words) in comparison to when the transmission shifts in other gears.

I think I am going to take it in to have it checked out. Maybe, my ears are too sensitive to the shift at this point. However, my wife also pointed out that the car was shifting wierd from 1st to 2nd gear. I think it is probably not just in my mind since she has only drive my car a couple of times in the last year.

If you have gotten this issue resolved or if it has actually gotten worse, please let me know.

Question: My car has original transmission with about 19K miles. Did you hear that "jitter" sound on your original transmission before it went out on you?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

No, the first transmission did not do this. I had it replaced about 20000 miles ago. It did not do this for the first couple months I had the new trans. It seems to be getting worse, or at least it is pissing me off more and more. My first trans was replaced due to VSA lights and 3rd gear slipping. By the way the delaer said "it is normal, they all do that" even when I drove their car and in no way shape or form did this car do the same that mine did. I refuse to go back to that dealer due to their horrible service, lack of wanting to fix problems and denying the fact that there is a problem. If you live in Philly, do NOT go to Ardmore Acura, what a bunch of F----ing A$$holes.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:08 AM
TSX4LIFE

I took mine in to the dealer. The service manage drove it with me for 20 minutes and detected the same problem. Even thought it was subtle, he detected it and immediately kept the car for the day for further testing. Called me that afternoon and ordered a brand new transmission. I have had excellent service with them. He didn't even want me to drive the car home.......liability issues! Anways, will have transmission in 3-4 days installed and back into my car.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Advanced

I had my Tranny replaced around the same time 25K miles, after I got it back I had the same simptoms. It seems it has never shifted right with the new tranny. I get like a jitter also from 1st to 2nd. Well just to let you guys know I have about 70K now and I think my tranny just went out. I can't seem to get it out of 2nd gear or over 40 miles an hour. It will go a little bit then it just acts like the car is in neutral. Who knows if it is the tranny or something else, Car is getting towed today to Acura.

I have a question for you guys. Did you get your tranny fluid changed before your tranny went out?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:38 PM
TSX4LIFE

No. Original tranny fluid. I just got the new tranny and got my car back today. Seems to shift okay. I notice better acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears. New ECU so I guess I need to drive it for a few days to set the learning pattern for the new ECU. Otherwise, it drive fine.......the only thing I notice is that it iddles a bit wierd (up and down noise). I have to get an oil change next week so I will have them look at it if it doesn't work it self out by then.......100K warranty is still in effect as per dealer.