Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 04:51 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

So I got my tranny replaced about 1 month ago because it was slipping in second gear. It took my dealer about 3 weeks to get a new tranny in and only 1 day to install it! (I was very impressed by the speed, compared to what others have experienced).... As soon as I got the car back, I noticed this "Whining" noise coming from under the hood, especially in 1st and 2nd gear and when decelerating...
I took it back in just before x-mas and a technician went for a drive with me and heard the noise. I made another appointment, booked a loaner and dropped the car off yesterday...

I got a call this morning saying that it is not the tranny, but my CAI making the whining noise... I argued and rushed down to the dealership to take the manager for a drive.. after a 10 minute drive, he still insisted it was the intake and told me to get my stock airbox...they will install it and see if the noise is still there. I went home, got my stock box and dropped it off.

I just got a call 5 minutes ago that they are ordering another tranny for me....

That's Tranny # 2 for you!
Old 01-03-2002, 04:52 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh...and the CAI is now back on the car..
:P
Old 01-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Number 37

Re: Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

Originally posted by ruvz
So I got my tranny replaced about 1 month ago because it was slipping in second gear. It took my dealer about 3 weeks to get a new tranny in and only 1 day to install it! (I was very impressed by the speed, compared to what others have experienced).... As soon as I got the car back, I noticed this "Whining" noise coming from under the hood, especially in 1st and 2nd gear and when decelerating...
I took it back in just before x-mas and a technician went for a drive with me and heard the noise. I made another appointment, booked a loaner and dropped the car off yesterday...

I got a call this morning saying that it is not the tranny, but my CAI making the whining noise... I argued and rushed down to the dealership to take the manager for a drive.. after a 10 minute drive, he still insisted it was the intake and told me to get my stock airbox...they will install it and see if the noise is still there. I went home, got my stock box and dropped it off.

I just got a call 5 minutes ago that they are ordering another tranny for me....

That's Tranny # 2 for you!
Those fockers!!! Nothing feels better then making someone look like an ass after being wrong...
Old 01-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

Originally posted by nootch

Those fockers!!! Nothing feels better then making someone look like an ass after being wrong...
Well, nothing like not having to prove that they are assholes in the first place
Old 01-03-2002, 05:56 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re: Re: Re: Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

Originally posted by EricL

Well, nothing like not having to prove that they are assholes in the first place
Nothing like wasting a perfectly good day worrying about the condition of your $30K car!

The fokkers know Trannys are going Haywire all over the place, yet they STILL love to put up a fight!!! WHY?? I thought dealers made labour $$$ from warrenty work...
Old 01-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Second Tranny Replacement Under Way!

Originally posted by ruvz

Nothing like wasting a perfectly good day worrying about the condition of your $30K car!

The fokkers know Trannys are going Haywire all over the place, yet they STILL love to put up a fight!!! WHY?? I thought dealers made labour $$$ from warrenty work...

I can't speak for the techs (I've met a few that were pretty sharp)...

However, I've met a few service advisers that didn't seem to have an automotive background (I think the prerequisites are high sales figures and/or a job working for big tobacco [or Z-Max] )
Old 01-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

another one bites the dust. WTF!!!!!!!

What have you driving habits bits since you got the second one? I don't understand why replacement trannies are failing if they are supposed to be rebuilt. It couldn't be an install issue because how could you fucking it up twice????? Once and the factory and once at the dealership?

Hmmmm, maybe honda/acura knows that they focked the design of the tranny and have no idea what's happening because if they did then i would think it wouldn't happen again.

For the upcoming s2000 6speed manual they are going to a german transmission manufacturer, what does that say?
Old 01-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
another one bites the dust. WTF!!!!!!!

Hmmmm, maybe honda/acura knows that they focked the design of the tranny and have no idea what's happening because if they did then i would think it wouldn't happen again.

What if it turned out that the fix was simple, but the amount of $hit that they needed to do to fix it was very expensive...

I wish they would "replace" all of the parts (all pressure switches, sensors, solenoids, PCM, etc) with the transmission and send the defective stuff back to the depot for Q/A and further testing. If the parts are OK and pass, they get put back into the "refurb" bins; if bad, they get tossed.

I think there have already been a couple of folks that had bad or flaky PCM units which were NOT replaced along with the transmission (of course there were still problems...)

$0.02
Old 01-04-2002, 09:34 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dude...
It is not my driving or anyone else's driving that F&$&D up our trannys...my second tranny was defective...From day one.... period. I drive fairly conservativly and would not do anything to harm my baby!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Whining noise in new tranny

I had my tranny replaced around the same time you did, so I imagine I got the same part number. I also notice a whine coming from the new tranny in the lower gears, although it is not very loud in my case...Has anyone else that had their tranny replaced recently noticed this noise? The tranny seams to be fine in alll other respects; very smooth shifts from 1st to 2nd- not like the old one.

RUVZ- How loud was the noise coming from yours? Did you have to drive with the windows open to hear it? The noise coming from mine isnt really loud enought to bother me, but I would like to know if it indicates a problem.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:56 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re: Whining noise in new tranny

Originally posted by 2ndtrannycls
I had my tranny replaced around the same time you did, so I imagine I got the same part number. I also notice a whine coming from the new tranny in the lower gears, although it is not very loud in my case...Has anyone else that had their tranny replaced recently noticed this noise? The tranny seams to be fine in alll other respects; very smooth shifts from 1st to 2nd- not like the old one.

RUVZ- How loud was the noise coming from yours? Did you have to drive with the windows open to hear it? The noise coming from mine isnt really loud enought to bother me, but I would like to know if it indicates a problem.
Well, it was pretty noticable... like not very loud, but I did notice it from day one... you can hear it whine when you first accelarate from a dead stop and when you decelarate as well...

The service manager said the sound must be coming from some pressure bearings or something...

If you have any concerns about your new tranny, I would suggest taking it back in before warrenty runs out and they don't wanna even talk to you!