Are Replacement Transmissions "Fixed?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 08:35 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Replacement Transmissions "Fixed?"

I haven't been following this transmission story 'till today. I have a 2001 CLS with only 28K miles on it. It started slipping 2 days ago and is really really bad today; didn't know if I'd get home.

Anyway, a couple of questions for the forum:
1) Will the dealer install a new transmission or just try to rebuild the existing one?
2) Is the replacement transmission "fixed?" In other words, has Honda identified the problem in the transmission and changed the design for the new transmission (or rebuild parts)? I'm concerned that the rebuilt/new transmission may be the same design as the old -- and thus leave me with no confidence for the future of my car.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Advanced

new tranny built off of old core.

new trannys just as crappy as old ones.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

Thanks. I just asked the Acura dealer the same thing; he said he didn't know if they had been reengineered or not -- which tells me "not." ........ I knew I should have bought a 330 Ci instead ....
Old 10-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that .. my 'rebuilt' tranny is NO better than the one they took out. Don't be fooled by acura's claims .. because the product doesn't support the words!
Old 10-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Advanced

i hope you were thinkin of buyin a used 330ci, cuz the new ones are 40kplus, as opposed to our 31k cl
Old 10-25-2002, 09:04 PM
4th Gear

2001 CL-S Trans- Bad

I got my 2001 CL-S in August 2000. Did not have a single problem until this year. The check engine light came on and I felt a problem with "reverse" during a cold start. I took it in for service and they could not find anything wrong. They said there were some codes recorded in the computer- - but they did not find anything wrong. I took the car back - - and had in for service the next week when the the check engine light and now the srs light came on. They said they replaced all 6 fuel injectors (under warranty) and the srs light was a faulty switch ( or something like that - don't remember).

Well, two weeks later it's transmission went after 34k miles (this past august). I lost all gears - - just went into neutral! Luckily, I was on my way into a parking lot.

The dealership had to order a new transmission from Acura (Honda). I did ask if it was a "new" trans or a rebuilt one. Of course they said "new". I had my car back after 1 1/2 weeks. Sure the dealership was cool about everything - - gave me a 2003 CL to drive around in until I got my car back. When I did get my car back, it did not feel the same. I thought maybe it just needed to be broken in.

I just had it in for service (10/23) as it seemed to get worst. It felt like a parachute was on the back of my car. I was not enjoying the $32k+ that I forked out for this reputable car. Since I now have 37k+ miles on it - - i had the scheduled service performed - - I needed brakes (front and back) - i figured that, but they could find anything wrong with the transmission. They had a few techs test drive the car - - and nothing.

Now, I'm not paranoid but I know how the car performed prior to any problems this summer. It is not the same. After getting the car back yesterday, it did seem to drive better. No parachute feeling and the trans did seem smoother. Strange - huh? I am keeping a close eye on how the tranmission responds and feels.

Not sure what to do if it starts feeling like it did last week. Maybe look to trade it in on a different MFG. But that really sucks since I am purchasing this vehicle - and bought the extended warranty!!!

Never expected this from an Acura!!

-nsbalt