Redline ATF (for sale) and tranny cooler kit from Comptech

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redline ATF (for sale) and tranny cooler kit from Comptech

I talked to Mike B at Comptech today and there is some stuff that might be of interest to the folks here (for some, this is probably old news, but...)

<hr></hr>
Comptech is going to have a transmission cooler made for our car and I will be available as a complete ATF/tranny cooler kit.

The kit will have a B&M cooler, REAL mounting brackets, and will come with hoses, etc. (No twist ties and it will be a "complete" kit).

They are pretty busy, so it might be a while before it's out; if your interested, check the Comptech site’s "what's new" forum/area from time-to-time.

(They're pretty busy, so, there is no "set" date for delivery)

<hr></hr>

Mike B says they have been running a transmission for about a year with Redline's Synthetic High-Temp ATF. He said they carry it (you will need about a gallon), and if you want to try it out, you need to find a shop that can "suck out" the OEM ATF and put in the Redline stuff. They have it for sale now.

<hr></hr>

In some of their testing he said that the temps were getting pretty high without the cooler.

I'm just reporting what he told me today....

Links:

http://shop.innercite.com/comptech/new.html
http://www.comptechusa.com/
http://www.comptechusa.com/cgi-bin/f...ouncements.cgi

Redline "blurb" on the High Temp ATF:

"Synthetic High-Temp ATF provides the gear protection of a GL-4 gear oil in an ATF and provides a higher viscosity at higher operating temperatures, allowing the transmission to operate at 70°F higher temperature and still provide the optimal shiftability and improved torque converter efficiency. The evaporation characteristics are significantly improved, being twice as good as our Synthetic ATF and five-times better than a petroleum ATF. The improved thermal stability significantly reduces the rapid evaporation of the ATF which can produce a frothing out the filler tube. The balanced frictional characteristics provides smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure. HighTemp ATF is perfect for heavily-loaded vehicles which see high temperatures and automatic transaxles which are benefitted by the extreme-pressure protection of a GL-4 gear oil to lubricate the final drive. This product can be used in manual transmissions which require ATFs and will provide much better gear protection than a petroleum ATF; however, MTL® will provide better wear protection and better low-temperature shiftability in most manual transmissions which call for an ATF. High-Temp ATF is suitable for use in automatic and manual transmissions and transaxles where Dexron III, Dexron II or Mercon is recommended. "
Old 07-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro

So will Acura approve of this as far as warranty coverage ??
Old 07-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by cnatra
So will Acura approve of this as far as warranty coverage ??
Why did I know that this question was going to be asked? Answer: cause I told two other people and they asked the same question!

I don't have a clue...

The tranny cooler when used with the "stock" warmer/cooler would be hard to fault. OTOH, Acura and some of the dealers can be "difficult"...

AS for the Redline --> My guess would be that if anything happened it would be a "problem" if they KNEW that there was anything but the stock fluid in it.

All's I can tell you is this: I will probably take my chances and put the cooler on (I'll deal with the problems...)

As for the synthetic ATF, if my car was out-of-warranty, I would be calling right now to order some from Comptech and finding a local dealer or "tranny shop" that can "suck" the entire contents of the OLD ATF out of the tranny. I specifically asked Mike B about "how to exchange the fluid" and he said to find a shop that would "suck out the old stuff". (The iterative approach or “service” just isn’t going to work well… [NO MIXING])

You realize that the very mention or approval of the Tranny Cooler and/or Synthetic Fluid could make Acura's lawyers "itch"...

-- feel free to disagree --
Old 07-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

eric,
You realize that the very mention or approval of the Tranny Cooler and/or Synthetic Fluid could make Acura's lawyers "itch"...

What do you mean "itch"?
Old 07-05-2002, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
eric,

What do you mean "itch"?
"to have, produce, or cause somebody to feel an irritating sensation..."

(Hey, if you aren't bitten, you don't have to expend any energy in the form of: "scratching" and/or "thinking" about ALL kinds of stuff...)

My opinion, wild speculation, and so on...
Old 07-06-2002, 08:37 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by EricL

"to have, produce, or cause somebody to feel an irritating sensation..."

(Hey, if you aren't bitten, you don't have to expend any energy in the form of: "scratching" and/or "thinking" about ALL kinds of stuff...)

My opinion, wild speculation, and so on...

Bhahaha wise guy I know what the word means. I was asking why Acura lawyers were "itching" :P I think i know but i just want to double confirm.