If and when your tranny fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If and when your tranny fails

Does the transmission come with a 7/100,000 mile warrenty? I have 42k on my CL-S, knock on wood.

Does anyone else have thier transmission on thier minds everytime they drive thier car?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
The 2001, 2002, and early model 2003 have the extended warranty. Your car is covered for 7yrs/100k miles regardless of if you have the original tranny or not.

As for having it on my mind... not at all. I'm not going to worry about something that only happens to 5% of all of the affected cars. When my tranny went around 43k I had warning signs... so I took it to the dealer before it got bad, got a loaner, and picked it up 4 days later. No biggie.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Where did you get that 5% figure if you don't mind me asking? I love the TL (and CL) Type S, and I want to buy one NOW.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Juniorbean... if I may ask, what were the signs?? ..as I am approaching the 40k mark... I am as you, drive-to-enjoy, yet psychologically... am geting ready for it, i.e. my 2000 Accord coupe v6 - had to change the tranny after only 2.7kmiles (!).

One suggestion for ANYONE changing a tranny, make sure to 'analyze' anything else going 'wrong' after the change. I.e. they forgot to tighten my suspension on the accord and my hand brake felt 'weird' - had to return two more times until they rectified....

$.03,
.Alex.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by juniorbean
The 2001, 2002, and early model 2003 have the extended warranty. Your car is covered for 7yrs/100k miles regardless of if you have the original tranny or not.

As for having it on my mind... not at all. I'm not going to worry about something that only happens to 5% of all of the affected cars. When my tranny went around 43k I had warning signs... so I took it to the dealer before it got bad, got a loaner, and picked it up 4 days later. No biggie.
So basically you're saying any failures after your odometer has 100k isn't covered?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean

I have it on my mind.

Even if it gives me warning signs, even if it is covered by the warranty, it is a HUGE hassle. Let's see - I have to spend extra time and fight traffic to go to the dealer (none of them are nearby) and miss working hours. Then I have to wait there for someone to talk to me, then I have to wait again for them to diagnose the problem, then I have to wait for someone from the rental company to come pick me up, then I have to wait at the rental place, then I have to fill out the rental paperwork, then I have to drive back to the dealer to transfer all my crap from my car to the rental. Including car seats and SunPass transponder, without the SunPass I am screwed. Then spend extra time and distance in the rental. Oh, I live in a gated community with barcode-activated gates, my car has a sticker with barcode glued to the window. The rental does not have a barcode, so I have to be inconvenienced just getting into my development. Then when my car is fixed, I have to perform all these steps again backward and make sure that I get to the rental place before they close and wait for them to inspect the rental car. Then rush to the dealer before they close and transfer all my crap.

I'd rather get a car that does not break.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ruski
I have it on my mind.

Even if it gives me warning signs, even if it is covered by the warranty, it is a HUGE hassle. Let's see - I have to spend extra time and fight traffic to go to the dealer (none of them are nearby) and miss working hours. Then I have to wait there for someone to talk to me, then I have to wait again for them to diagnose the problem, then I have to wait for someone from the rental company to come pick me up, then I have to wait at the rental place, then I have to fill out the rental paperwork, then I have to drive back to the dealer to transfer all my crap from my car to the rental. Including car seats and SunPass transponder, without the SunPass I am screwed. Then spend extra time and distance in the rental. Oh, I live in a gated community with barcode-activated gates, my car has a sticker with barcode glued to the window. The rental does not have a barcode, so I have to be inconvenienced just getting into my development. Then when my car is fixed, I have to perform all these steps again backward and make sure that I get to the rental place before they close and wait for them to inspect the rental car. Then rush to the dealer before they close and transfer all my crap.

I'd rather get a car that does not break.
I think anyone who was sane would *rather* have a car that does not break.

Hugh hassles == you bet. And, add in the possibility of having other pristine components savaged by morons that are “learning” on your car.

However, you can do all of the research in the world, and if you get a lemon, you're still in for some trouble. (And, I've yet to see a brand/make that's lemon proof.)

And don't forget those really fun intermittent problems that go away at the dealer, only to leave you stranded when you’re trying to visit a client or head to work.

IOW, let me know when you find an auto maker that gives you a brand new car when any problem is reported…
Old 02-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Instructor

what I meant was that I'd rather get a car whose manufacturer can admit that they have a problem if a problem exists and then actually go and fix it the right way. Go back to the drawing board if necessary and design a new tranny that works.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

what I meant was that I'd rather get a car whose manufacturer can admit that they have a problem if a problem exists and then actually go and fix it the right way. Go back to the drawing board if necessary and design a new tranny that works.
Apparently they've done that as the 03's aren't affected by the faulty trannies, so my question is...Why don't they give those who's trannies have failed the "new improved" transmission?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

If you mean a fresh new design -- sure. They just patched-up the current edition with a bunch of detailed failure studies/experiments and improved the weakest links and identified quality control issues. That's not the same thing as going for an overkill design (similar to the new Infiniti G35 where they use a tranny built for a V8).

How many engines do you see blowing that are not hydrolocked or abused?

Engine beef > (4 x Tranny beef)
Old 02-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by iamdrkman
Apparently they've done that as the 03's aren't affected by the faulty trannies, so my question is...Why don't they give those who's trannies have failed the "new improved" transmission?

Apparently is the key word...

Supposedly, the "rebuilt" trannies are supposed to be the equivalent of the "new improved" trannies.

Sometimes I wonder if they get back "problem" trannies and reuse parts that are "marginal" and while some quality control standards are in place, they don't cover all of the possible problems that come with a well-damaged transmission. IOW, I don't know that they toss any parts that are remotely suspect.

-my opinion-
Old 02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

They cannot reuse 'bad' parts - in manufacturing there are A & B stock parts... It is ILLEGAL to use B stock parts i.e. 'returns, marginals, etc' in the A stock i.e. what is refered to as a New item. There were cases where authorities would shut DOWN the operation who would do such a thing. Of course... when there are shorotages of parts, deadlines - who knows right.. but in general - MOST manufacturers abide by above rule. When they say 'REBUILT' - this is there liability waiver as far as not giving you the same warantee for if the product is NEW.
To 'modify/redesign' trannies - wishful thinking.. all comes down to BUDGETS vs. ROI - i.e. return on any capital spending. I.e. unless the are serious alligations that warrant redesign.. - they not only NOT redesign.. they even try to cut the parts.. in the last year or months of production - just reality.. and nothing but. - they are there to make money... and if they save a part that cost a buck.. On 50,000 trannies that's $50k into their pockets - i.e. another worker [minus the benefits]....

$.03
Old 02-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by patek007
They cannot reuse 'bad' parts - in manufacturing there are A & B stock parts... It is ILLEGAL to use B stock parts i.e. 'returns, marginals, etc' in the A stock i.e. what is refered to as a New item. There were cases where authorities would shut DOWN the operation who would do such a thing. Of course... when there are shorotages of parts, deadlines - who knows right.. but in general - MOST manufacturers abide by above rule. When they say 'REBUILT' - this is there liability waiver as far as not giving you the same warantee for if the product is NEW.
To 'modify/redesign' trannies - wishful thinking.. all comes down to BUDGETS vs. ROI - i.e. return on any capital spending. I.e. unless the are serious alligations that warrant redesign.. - they not only NOT redesign.. they even try to cut the parts.. in the last year or months of production - just reality.. and nothing but. - they are there to make money... and if they save a part that cost a buck.. On 50,000 trannies that's $50k into their pockets - i.e. another worker [minus the benefits]....

$.03
You're assuming they KNOW they are bad parts.

You're assuming that someone knows how to properly separate the "A" and "B" parts. I'm telling you that some people get great rebuilds and other people get rebuilds that only go a few thousand miles (this after their first tranny went 20- to 50-thousand miles.

-- This is my opinion. I'm not going to argue this. I’ve had close to three years to see some very pissed-off people. And, there are still a few people that are getting BURNED on new/modified replacements. I’ve had my own experience both good and bad with rebuilt parts and had mixed results --
Old 02-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Instructor

No arguments here, just exchange of opinions/experiences. I am not a mechanical engineer/expert, yet my business taught me how to 'dig' for truth . I.e. I thought a dealer had to replace anything with new parts, i.e. why aren't we then putting in re-used but cleaned filters, oil or even wipers?? from a dealer during maintenance service? Perhaps laws changed re. warrantee work & parts - I haven't checked.
However, there is a DEFENITE negligence happening when a new [for you it is a NEW tranny that should do what it was designed to do] but rebuilt tranny fails. There are serious consequences if someone fraudulently claims it is a 'tested to specs' tranny, and it is not. While getting my degree I took a few 'Strength of Materials' courses where we learned about 'metal fatigue' with workability during weather/temperature/nature effects, etc. If my 'new' tranny would fail in just a few thousands miles - I would DEMAND an investigation, down to the tested parts specs before they re/assembed the thing in production. The burden would be for Acura to PROVE as to WHY the parts failed. I.e. they can't just say that we put/tested good parts... - since good [spec tested] parts do not 'reasnobly' fail in such short operation time, and especially if not a single incident.
Yes.. this is going way too deep, and not many have time nor patience - Acura KNOWs & heavily RELIes on this fact [imo], the product is 'dead', so the Suits 'recommendation', let's keep the expenses to the minimum.
Ideally... all tranny victims should do a class action lawsuit. Honda would 'LOVE' this - I can almost GAURANTEE. I.e. since they are known for 'realiability' & good customer service - and this is hitting directly where it would hurt. I said 'ideally' ....
Other then that... we will have to 'suffer' at the mercy of those Service Managing bustards.
Ironically these are Japanese built trannies... - last I've checked from 2001....
Old 02-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, I know for a fact that the trannies are built in Ohio...
Old 02-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Instructor

If memory serves me, the sticker mentioned tranny as the 'only' part with origin of Japan, I could be wrong. Without opening new can of worms... was origin - a factor? Mine is going on 34k... so far so good [knock on wood ] Got mine in April 2001.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by iamdrkman
03s are not affected anymore? Are you sure?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by patek007
If memory serves me, the sticker mentioned tranny as the 'only' part with origin of Japan, I could be wrong. Without opening new can of worms... was origin - a factor? Mine is going on 34k... so far so good [knock on wood ] Got mine in April 2001.
This came up over and over. They were built in the US.

I can't tell you about various internal parts inside the tranny.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro

the first half of the '03 model year ARE impacted by they crappy auto-tranny ..
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by DivinDude
the first half of the '03 model year ARE impacted by they crappy auto-tranny ..
was wondering if you are positive on this?

i just bought a used 2003 Acura CL with 55,000 miles
on it.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jkatt
was wondering if you are positive on this?

i just bought a used 2003 Acura CL with 55,000 miles
on it.
Check the VIN # to see if you are included or excluded in the slushbox extended warranty program (7yr/100k miles)...
Old 03-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro

Yes, the first half of the 03 model year is included .. you can go to the acura website owners link and enter you vin .. it will tell you whether you are included. But either way, given Acura's track record, I don't think it much matters .. because the tranny is garbage