I received a call from an Acura Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received a call from an Acura Engineer

I received a call from an Acura Engineer today. I explained that my transmission was change out, after 20K. I ask if he had any ideas why the transmissions were failing? He said that Acura is aware of the problem, and that the transmissions are not the problem, it is the torque converter. The original torque converter can not handle the HP.

To fix the problem Acura is know replacing the torque converter with improved TC that can handle the HP.

What do you think, do you think it is the torque converter or is he BS me.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!! The torque converter? Could be.....
Old 01-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I think that some of the problems that relate to drag are due to a weak torque converter.

However, that slip/flare in 2nd gear is not due to the torque converter.

There is now the:

!. They are replacing the differential carrier bearings (from Acura Engineer #1)

2. Now torque converter upgrade solution (from Acura Engineer #2)

My opinions from here on:

There have been some symptoms that would seem to implicate the torque converter, but those would show up as slipping in all gears and/or a dragging sensation (due to converter lock-up issues). Funny that this problem only occurs to a minority of the tranny victims. There also seems to be very few people that complain about stall speed issues...

(So, I think it probably helps "some" trannies...)

The burnt fluid (as seen in the fried trannies) and the "selective" flare/slip as seen in a number of the boxes points to the clutch packs getting burned up. If the differential carrier bearings were not made strong enough, they could dump magnetic particles into the ATF and they wouldn't necessarily be seen at the dipstick. The solenoids that operate our car are magnetic and would attract crud (just like the drain magnet will); unfortunately, the solenoids are not the best place for junk to accumulate, as this will cause all kinds of shifting woes that will NOT help the clutch packs out...
Old 02-13-2002, 02:58 PM
4th Gear

I have also been told that the torque converter was the problem. My new transmission has been working but I am not convinced that the car performs as well as it did before the replacement. Has anyone else out there noticed this or is it just my imagination?
Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I have noticed some strangeness with my new transmission..when really flooring it, there is a slight but perceptable slip or jump in rpm right before second shifts to 3rd. It feels like its a 'controlled' slip though, i.e. same duration each time...not like it felt when it was about to die. It has been like this since the replacement and it hasnt gotten any worse. Maybe this is the result in a component change to lessen the impact on clutch packs on the 2nd to 3rd shift? I could be way off base with this and I don't profess to know *anything* about trannies, but it would make sense from what I've read from EricL's posts...anyone else notice this?
Old 02-23-2002, 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2ndtrannycls
I have noticed some strangeness with my new transmission..when really flooring it, there is a slight but perceptable slip or jump in rpm right before second shifts to 3rd. It feels like its a 'controlled' slip though, i.e. same duration each time...not like it felt when it was about to die. It has been like this since the replacement and it hasnt gotten any worse. Maybe this is the result in a component change to lessen the impact on clutch packs on the 2nd to 3rd shift? I could be way off base with this and I don't profess to know *anything* about trannies, but it would make sense from what I've read from EricL's posts...anyone else notice this?

Perhaps you can elaborate (when you get a chance to compare the behavior to the other gear changes)...
Old 02-24-2002, 03:27 PM
on bin laden

i dunno, themodmole has level10's torque converter, and he's on his 3rd tranny replacement under warranty.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fbazakos
i dunno, themodmole has level10's torque converter, and he's on his 3rd tranny replacement under warranty.

Hmmm... wonder why...

260+ HP and 100 foot burnouts...

AND

The torque converter and bearings are the current "upgrade" items. A Level 10 torque converter will not help weak bearings.