How to F*ck the Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sidemarker
if you are that worried about it then trade the car in when you hit 100k because even if you get a new tranny the warranty is only good for 1 year or 12,000 miles, and with these trannies it will go again!

but if you really want to mess it up, you can try this

always drive in SS and try to keep the car in 2nd as much as possible. the tranny has a problem with the 2nd gear so if you shift it through 2nd a whole bunch it will probably go

if that does not work you could try this

take the car in to the dealership with 99,900 miles and tell them that the tranny is acting up. hopefully the tech will let you drive with him/her in the passanger seat and make it seem like the tranny is slipping or not shifting smoothly. ie let off the gas and floor it let off the gas, kinda make the ride as jerky as possible.

since everyones trannies are going to go and the dealerships replace so many of them they might take your word for it and just go ahead and swap it out...

sidemarker

See my post about keeping the car in 2nd gear. If you want to keep it alive, you keep it from shifting. If you keep it in 2nd gear you don't wear the clutches out.

BTW, generally speaking -- and this comes from the data that was sent by Acura to the NHTSA -- the 3rd gear clutch pack is what generally goes first. The data submitted came from Acura’s own internal engineering reports.

If what you say is true, then Acura would have just "tested" the durability of the transmission by keeping the car in 2nd gear and measuring the temps, etc. in the transmission. IN fact, the very test they used to "trash" their own "mule" was to do repeated 2-3 and 3-2 tests and they had to limit the number of 2-3 and 3-2 shifts to keep the temp from turning the clutch packs to dust. The temp would get so high that it would "cook" the ATF. Even the current "mods" that Acura has provided -- in the form of PCM reprogramming and valve changes -- only reduced that max temperature in the transmission.

I'm now wondering if I need to put a: "How to keep a 'good' CLS/TLS tranny working" sticky post" and "What is a good way to abuse our tranny post."

If you believe you have figured something out that Acura did NOT report to the NHTSA, please let me know. Outside of not crushing the returned transmissions and never letting anyone look inside, I'm not sure what the heck the tranny rebuilders are doing -- at the moment -- as people are watching the "new" rebuilds self-destruct in record time.

I don’t think the "jerky" tranny ride will be of much help if you have an inflexible and uncooperative dealer. If you find a dealer that is sympathetic, they will find a way of just "reporting" the tranny as "defective." It's a judgment call they CAN make. As stated, Acura doesn’t let the dealer open up the tranny. If they say its “acting up” and needs replacing, that’s enough. I know someone who had minor shift problems and got a new one. No questions asked!).

If your dealer has a bunch of major-league turkeys -- you might have to have the car towed in or have a truck rear-end you to get the replacement.

RE: Everyone’s trannies are going to go? How did you conclude that? If someone has one of the Friday boxes (no Q/C issues) and only puts 24K miles on it, it doesn’t necessarily need replacing. Remember, there are a bunch of people that are driving with ZERO problems. The biggest bummer is just trying to get a replacement tranny that is as good as the original, and until they toss the old ones in a crusher, replace all solenoids, torque converter, and electronic and mechanical interface, they can’t guaranty sh*t.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Suzuka Master

I'll tell you what's sad...

Originally posted by Shawn S
This thread is SAD.

I think it’s amazing how everyone always says that the Tranny’s die from “everyday driving” and nobody runs them hard.
Then we have a thread like this and everyone is full of ideas on how to kill them.
You're driving a stick hey? (Yes, and I know you said you wanted the manual experience.)

However, you’re not in an auto driver's shoes. I am especially irritated by people that just want a new tranny to just get a new tranny's sake. When the '03s came out, a number of members mentioned how they would like to "blow-up" their trannies to get the "new and improved" one.

In this particular case, the saddest part is knowing that a member might get a replacement tranny that will only last 6-hours.

And, you are also correct.

I've seen many a member brag about how many times they've been able to rip the car up the strip and torque brake the car, and exclaim, "I got one of the good ones!" Too bad they show up later and proclaim like some innocent lamb, "It finally happened, my tranny just let go.”

IMO, if you know how to mess-up a tranny, you also know how to keep it safe (unless you get a Monday version that will fail no matter how you drive it/what you do to it).

So, depending on the circumstances, there might be more than a few of us that might be temped to do something nasty IF and ONLY IF all of the local Acura dealers did not want to fix a tranny that was going to fall out of warranty; one that was showing clear warning signs of impending failure.

Sad is having dealers that ARE NOT responsive.
Sad is having dealers that WOULD NOT replace "marginal" transmissions that later caused injuries and near fatalities from the spontaneous downshift issue.
Sad is seeing that people are still having problems getting some dealers to replace transmissions that are not operating correctly.

I heard plenty of comments from the NHTSA rep about the dealers *and* Acura being responsible for poor customer responsiveness and this was a primary cause of 5-2 downshift incidents.

-end-
Old 03-16-2004, 05:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I'll tell you what's sad...

Originally posted by EricL
And, you are also correct.

I've seen many a member brag about how many times they've been able to rip the car up the strip and torque brake the car, and exclaim, "I got one of the good ones!" Too bad they show up later and proclaim like some innocent lamb, "It finally happened, my tranny just let go.”
I’m glad to see SOMEBODY understands what my post was about.
That’s exactly what I was trying to say.

Apparently Zeroday didn’t read my second post at the end of page #1.

Here it is again for you………..
Originally posted by Shawn S
Yes, I admit that they have a design problem that causes premature failure, but you guys aren’t the innocent angels behind the wheel that you so often say you are.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Health's Angels

replace AT fluid with crunchy peanut butter.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

moderator, time to fix the title to F#$@k
Old 03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
tow araound a boat for a day in 3rd gear
Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Bagged hybrid

a new tranny doesnt guaranty it will last.

i would sell/trade in the car.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Ending badly...

Originally posted by ronnie0738
Especially when the "new tranny" is a "rebuilt tranny."

You'd probably need a ski mask and Uzi to get a real one. And one possible outcome:

:P
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

Originally posted by ronnie0738

i would sell/trade in the car.

i'm thinking of doing that. the car has been discontinued and i don't want (and can't afford) to let it depreciate further.

i'm assuming that a discontinued product loses value quickly? i'm i correct in this assumption.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dets
i'm assuming that a discontinued product loses value quickly? i'm i correct in this assumption.
It depends...

I can think of a number of cars – and products -- that were discontinued, and their value is going up. Way up.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by darrinb
i WOT my car more than anybody on this forum
I doubt that.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^^ I double doubt both of you
Old 03-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Re: Stay in 2nd to KEEP the tranny WORKING!

Originally posted by EricL
Actually, that is probably a good way of keeping the transmission alive. If you don't shift gears, the clutch packs are not being engaged and disengaged. The wear -- in the clutch packs -- happens during gear changes. If you never changed the gear, the clutch packs wouldn't ever wear out.

I've been using SS for that exact reason -- to keep the transmission from shifting in town. The downside is lowered gas mileage, and just to put things in perspective, most of the time the car never gets over 4K rpm. There is just too much traffic and congestion in my area.
its also way funner to keep it in 2nd! I get at most 10m/g doing it tho
Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Drifting

also, Eric, Do you know anyone with a cl that made it to 100k on the original tranny?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Stay in 2nd to KEEP the tranny WORKING!

Originally posted by evilstorm
its also way funner to keep it in 2nd! I get at most 10m/g doing it tho
Wow, that's low. But, if your sitting in traffic -- stopped -- you're getting 0 MPG. I think my lowest was around 13 MPG (in town, 2nd gear + parking-lot-grade traffic).

also, Eric, Do you know anyone with a cl that made it to 100k on the original tranny?
Rumors -- yes. First hand -- no...

The closest I found to 100K from the "Who still is on their first tranny???" in the tranny forum was:

~83,000
Old 03-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Racer

Power Braking's got to be the fastest way. Does'nt that tear up the T/C. I agree with Eric with the heat it will produce, got to be the fastest and best way. Hey how about anybody that already tore their's up and know's that it's their fault.
I was in the TL Forum about 2 weeks ago and a guy posted his comments about him VS the Dealer and the Acura Div Rep. Guess what ? 2 post down the Acura Regional rep posted comments back just like we are. Maybe we should have PM'd this one. How many have had their pictures of their car posted here ? Boy I could see this in Court.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Re: How to Fuck the Tranny

Originally posted by mattg
pull out dipstick, insert needle dick.
:nutkick:

Ruf
Old 03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by mantis23
Humm, let's see . . .

you went through a set of tires in less than 6k miles
i went through a set in 10k miles

That's tough to beat. :-p

Ruf
Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
shawn, what does flooring my car from a stop do to my car nothing, just burns my tires, i WOT my car more than anybody on this forum and i still am on tranny #1

Um....you sure about that darrin...I get about 7-10k on my continental extreme contact with 400 treadware rating.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

man all you have to do is spend a day uprooting trees. Just tie em of to your frame one by one... thats wear on most TRUCKS ;P
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 PM

Sad u have to do this to a "luxury" car....
Old 03-17-2004, 12:13 AM
-S namyaC-

Powerbraking just superheats the fluid inside the tq converter. You keep holding it, and it will burn up that part. Drive around and it will move the fluid through the tranny and cool it some and if you keep it up (Severely power braking at every stop) it'll cook the whole tranny.

Heat is what kills them. The 2nd gear clutch pack is just fine, and if you drive around all day in D2 you prob will just get crappy gas mileage. The third gear clutch pack is shit, and the 2-3 shift is the one that heats it up. 3-4 is letting pressure off, and doesn't have quite the same effect. Once you cook the 3rd gear clutch pack, it starts to break into pieces that clog up the fluid path, and then the rest of the tranny cooks itself b/c it cannot cool the fluid.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
///M POWER

Originally posted by mantis23
i have never got over 280 miles on a full tank and i amon the highway like 40% of the time
Old 03-17-2004, 02:34 AM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

nice thread, no wonder dealers are giving us a hard time
Old 03-17-2004, 03:01 AM
Texan trapped in NM

yup
Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by dfv3.2CL-S
I believe this is the most idiotic thread posted. Why would someone want to fuck up their tranny when its working properly to this point in time. Anyway the dealer would know if the tranny was abused or not, specially when your engagement rings are missing teeth off them from dropping from neutral to D5 or even over revving the car in the SS mode.

If you've gone this long and you're tranny is fine the odds are your tranny is not going to fail. Keep in mind that out of the possible affected trannys onl ~5% or so fail. I have two friends... one with a TL and one with a CL-S who have around 120k miles and their tranny is fine... now you're actually purposly trying to make it fail when the odds are since it hasn't failed already it's not going to fail? I mean, several 2001 M3's had problems with their engines blowing but you didn't see every single M3 owner trying to blow their engine to get a new one b/c 90% of them were fine....

This could be the dumbest thread evar...... and on top of that we have dealers who read this forum and that's in addition to the fact that Honda/Acura also has been known to browse here. I'm moving this topic to the tranny section so the rest of the folks don't have to flip through it in Car Talk.....
Old 03-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Let 'em browse maybe someone will figure out what will keep it going.

Originally posted by juniorbean

If you've gone this long and you're tranny is fine the odds are your tranny is not going to fail. Keep in mind that out of the possible affected trannys onl ~5% or so fail. I have two friends... one with a TL and one with a CL-S who have around 120k miles and their tranny is fine... now you're actually purposly trying to make it fail when the odds are since it hasn't failed already it's not going to fail? I mean, several 2001 M3's had problems with their engines blowing but you didn't see every single M3 owner trying to blow their engine to get a new one b/c 90% of them were fine....

This could be the dumbest thread evar...... and on top of that we have dealers who read this forum and that's in addition to the fact that Honda/Acura also has been known to browse here. I'm moving this topic to the tranny section so the rest of the folks don't have to flip through it in Car Talk.....
As I've already reported, getting a "replacement tranny" can be a bigger can of worms than just sticking with the original. I'm amazed that people don't browse the top 20 posts over on our Transmission Problems Forum to see just how much fun some of the people are having with replaced trannies.

So, now -- again -- for the third time (I'll make this really clear):

If you bust the current tranny, you get a "replacement tranny", not a "brand spanking new" tranny. some people are not getting anything close to the reliability and longevity that they got on the first one.

As for Acura looking through here -- you really think they don't know that some of the people who own their cars are not exactly being "kind" to them.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by juniorbean

I'd like my tranny to make it 100k and if it does then I'm not worried about the warranty as it's done its job.

And if my tranny goes . . well I wouldn't want another factory model anyway. I'd want an upgraded tranny from Dean.

Ruf
Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by proaudio22
Powerbraking just superheats the fluid inside the tq converter. You keep holding it, and it will burn up that part. Drive around and it will move the fluid through the tranny and cool it some and if you keep it up (Severely power braking at every stop) it'll cook the whole tranny.

Heat is what kills them. The 2nd gear clutch pack is just fine, and if you drive around all day in D2 you prob will just get crappy gas mileage. The third gear clutch pack is shit, and the 2-3 shift is the one that heats it up. 3-4 is letting pressure off, and doesn't have quite the same effect. Once you cook the 3rd gear clutch pack, it starts to break into pieces that clog up the fluid path, and then the rest of the tranny cooks itself b/c it cannot cool the fluid.
Think you got the answer. That's what I was saying, will tear up TQ converter in just about any auto make trans. Can get the fluid so hot it will breakdown and boil.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Banned

drive like me ass hole i am on 6 at on 60,000 so fuck you
Old 10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by turbokicksass

Old 11-07-2004, 11:22 PM
///M POWER

32k miles
120 1/4 miles passes
1st tranny still holdin on by its lasts threads
Old 11-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by darrinb
32k miles
120 1/4 miles passes
1st tranny still holdin on by its lasts threads

I heard bringing up old threads like this automatically takes 10k miles off your transmission

Old 11-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Keep it clean or start packing. I'm not joking.

Originally Posted by turbokicksass
You're on your way to ban city. Time to clean it up, or time to think about packing up.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Flap.

Originally Posted by EricL
You're on your way to ban city. Time to clean it up, or time to think about packing up.

you realize that means hes been walking to ban city for the better part of a month now
Old 11-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hobo
you realize that means hes been walking to ban city for the better part of a month now

Well, your comment promted me to view his trail of postings and you input is appreciated.

He's been PM'd and will be welcome to stay if "he cleans it up."

If he doesn't, he will be