Has anyone considered a class action law suit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone considered a class action law suit?

I was curious if anyone has consulted an attorney on the transmission problem? A class action suit might get Honda's attention. The five speed transmission has an engineering flaw which is not going away after 100,000 miles. All of us are going to take a hit on resale.

After the rebuilt transmission, re-programmed pcm, and the added oil jet kit; my 2001 CL-S no longer performs like it did when it was new. The car is sluggish and the get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. I would never have purchased the vehicle I have now. Sour grapes? You bet!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Here is what I have to say about that if you haven't read it already.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153380

If you can qualify for the lemon law, go for it as you can get a full buy back on the car. If you can't, then a class action might be beneficial for you as that could get you a new tranny. But like I said make sure there is nothing in the agreement that says you will agree not to sue Acura further as that could cause screw you in the long run.

Good Luck
Old 09-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Any lawyers out there?

Originally Posted by BobbyDangler
Here is what I have to say about that if you haven't read it already.......
Good Luck
Thanks! I saw the lemon law post, and it is the best avenue for those that can use the it. Honda just does not have a clue how to treat their customers. I called American Honda to get a copy of the oil jet kit service bulletin, and they said that could only be obtained by their dealers. Honda modifies my CL-S tranny, and I do not have the right to the service procedure. Well I obtained a copy, and I have posted it in this forum.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by allenn
I was curious if anyone has consulted an attorney on the transmission problem? A class action suit might get Honda's attention. The five speed transmission has an engineering flaw which is not going away after 100,000 miles. All of us are going to take a hit on resale.

After the rebuilt transmission, re-programmed pcm, and the added oil jet kit; my 2001 CL-S no longer performs like it did when it was new. The car is sluggish and the get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. I would never have purchased the vehicle I have now. Sour grapes? You bet!
Any attny's here know whether this is viable?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

This was on the owners link off of the American Honda Finance web site under the Recall Link.

April 26, 2004

Recall Campaign: Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Acura Owner:

Your vehicle is affected by the automatic transmission recall that was recently announced.

What is the problem?
Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the second gears of the transmission's countershaft and secondary shaft. Prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in a decrease in the gear's material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this may lead to chipped or broken gear teeth or, in rare instances, gear failure.

What are "certain operating conditions"?
Extended cruising in top gear with a high engine load but small throttle opening can result in limited oil flow to second gear, causing localized heat build-up. These conditions should be rare. Examples may include extended towing in top gear on a very flat road with a throttle opening of 1/4 or less; or frequent driving up a road with a very consistent slope of approximately 3.5~6%, again maintaining a throttle opening around 1/4 or less.

Under most circumstances, small road undulations or throttle corrections cause the vehicle to go in and out of torque converter lock-up, varying engine rpm, and therefore increasing oil flow to the gears. Increased oil flow dissipates heat and prevents second gear damage.

What should I do now? Can I continue to drive?
Occurrences of lock-up due to gear breakage are very rare, especially at low mileage. There are no confirmed failures in U.S. vehicles with mileage less than 60,000 miles. Acura will notify customers to visit their dealership according to vehicle age, allowing us to efficiently schedule parts and repairs. Please contact your dealer when you receive your notice, or sooner if you notice any abnormal noises from your transmission.

How and when will Acura begin to notify owners?
Mailings began in early May and will continue until September or until all customers have been notified. We recommend that customers wait until they are notified before trying to schedule an appointment. This will allow us to carry out the most efficient, effective and timely campaign.

What is the dealer looking for when inspecting the transmission?
Vehicles with less than 15,000 miles - The technician will update the transmission with a simple modification to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear.

Vehicles with more than 15,000 miles - The technician will inspect the second gear for discoloration of the gear due to heat damage. If there is any evidence of heat damage, the transmission will be replaced. If discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the modification to the oil cooler return line.

What is this "simple modification to the oil cooler return line"?
It is a relatively simple repair involving the installation of an "oil jet kit" that is mounted on the top of the transmission. The modification works by taking a portion of the transmission fluid that is flowing back from the cooling system and spraying that fluid directly onto the affected gear, eliminating the potential for heat damage.

How can I be sure I won't have problems with this repair in later years, after the warranty period has expired?
For vehicles affected by this campaign, installation of the oil kit provides a permanent repair.

Should my vehicle be towed to the dealership?
If you experience transmission noise or transmission lock-up, the vehicle should be towed to the dealership. If not, it can be driven to the dealership when the appointment is scheduled.

Is there a way for me or my independent repair facility to diagnose this problem?
No, your vehicle must be taken to an authorized Acura dealership for a thorough inspection and accurate repair.

Why is the dealer repair different from the manufacturing repair?
The manufacturing change was relatively easy to accomplish during transmission production, but to apply the same repair at the dealership would require transmission removal and disassembly. Installation of the oil kit is a permanent repair that is easily accomplished at the dealership.