Extended Warranty and your tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty and your tranny

How does everyone feel about extended warranties now? Have you changed your mind? I am nearing the end of my warranty, so will you, soon. I have no tranny problems, yet.

The purpose of the extended warranty is for piece of mind. Is piece of mind overrated? Not in my book. I am risk adverse and I do what I can in the area of prevention which includes paying a little bit of extra money upfront to save money later. Whenever possible, I try to do a cost analysis and calculate the numbers and then I abide by the results. I also use common sense by applying real-life situations and I factor those into my decision. I have a 100,000 mile warranty thru my insurance company that extends the terms of OEM warranty.

The purpose of the extended warranty is to protect your investment when your original protection expires. That's starting at day one, not a few months or a few miles afterwards. So you decided not to get the extended warranty. That probably means that if you experience a major mechanical failure, you agree to cover the costs of the repair because you determined that it was less expensive for you to pay for this repair today than to pay for the extended warranty yesterday. Or it could mean that you are pretty confident about the quality and durability of your [covered] parts and time was a factor in your decision (you won't own the car by then or you would get used parts or whatever). In any case, there were no guarantees.

Ok, enough with the theories, let get to my questions, which are two. First, the real-life situation is that no one expects the tranny to go out so early. Everyone is worried about their tranny even though they have a warranty. Are you so worried that you now plan to get the extended warranty because you know that no one is obligated to replace a broken transmission on a 65,000 mile CL?

Clearly, Acura should probably extend the tranny warranty but what if they don't? I don't think they are obligated to do so, but they should in good faith. Part of the decision to get an extended warranty was to protect your car against a tranny failure at 65,000 miles. In the same breath, if you decided against the extended warranty, wouldn't that be equivalent to saying "I am willing to cover the repairs of a broken tranny at 65,000 miles because I believe the risk of failure is x% and that's good enough for me, I willing to take the chance"? It doesn't have to be the tranny, it could be some other major component.

The point of this topic is that some who were against an extended warranty say it is costly and unneeded but what they are really saying is when it come time to need an extended warranty, I am going to whine and complain and attempt to show where somehow you own me and it's not my fault and this wasn't suppose to happen. Basically what they are saying is I don't want to pay for an extended warranty today because I don't believe I will not have to pay anything later either (which in my book is not a reason for forgoing an extended warranty). There's no risk in that equation and that's just plain wrong because an extended warranty has a risk factor involved. YMMV Comments?

Yes, I know we are allowed to whine and complain, that's ok. Yes, I know the reasonable person can assume that major components should not fail prematurely. And yes, I know some people are cheap bastards and will do anything to get something for nothing. Not trying to place the blame or single anyone out, just trying to get a sense of how everyone feels about these topics from a perspective other than the broken tranny itself.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

I am getting close to the end of my warranty and I will most probably get the extended warranty.
For 1000 bucks I think it is worth it!! They give you an interest free 12 mo pmt plan too!!
NS
Old 11-18-2001, 12:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
$1000.00 seems too much ! I got my extended bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty when I bought the car for a total of $768.00 ! Why are you paying so much ?
Basically my ass is covered.......
Old 11-18-2001, 01:05 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i think its cheaper if you get it at time of purchase or shortly after, the longer you wait the price goes up
Old 11-18-2001, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

I know
That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard though!!
The car has warranty up to 50K why does Acura care whether I get extended warranty earlier or later in the first 50K or 4yrs!
Sorry but It does not make sense at all
BTW if you get the extended warranty at 20K miles you pay about 900 which is not whole lot cheaper.. I would wait till 45K or so and if I still plan on holding on to the car then I would get the extended warranty..

NS
Old 11-19-2001, 11:03 AM
Racer

Hold on a sec....

We have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that covers the transmission.

This is above and beyond the 4 yr/50,000 warranty.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:18 AM
Old timer

We do?
Old 11-19-2001, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Yeah, do we really have a 100k Powertrain warranty????
Old 11-19-2001, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
I think extended warranty is bunch of crap, just to rip you off.
It's only untill 100K, so for the fuking extra 50K miles you need to pay additional 1000$. Fuk that, its to much. Its better to take a risk. I am sure if transmission goes bad after 50K miles, Acura will probably cover half of the work, and even if they don't.
If tranny did not fail before 50K, I doubt it will fail in another 50K.
even if it does, chances are small, and you are better off saving 1000$ right NOW, then be paranoid and buy shit you don't really need.....
Old 11-19-2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Fabvsix
$1000.00 seems too much ! I got my extended bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty when I bought the car for a total of $768.00 ! Why are you paying so much ?
Basically my ass is covered.......

Same here, right there with ya bandito!
Old 11-19-2001, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

No we don't. Acura only offer 4year/50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty.

From official Acura site:
http://www.acura.com/model_cl/cl_qual.asp

From Edmunds:
Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.
Extended Warranties Available -- Free Extended Warranty Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, there is no 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. But, the warranty booklet details both the emissions warranties for California and the Federal Emissions Warranties. Under the Federal Emission Warranties the transmission control module is warranted for 8 yrs. or 80,000 miles, and the California Emissions Warranties cover the accelerator position sensor for 7 yrs. or 70,000 miles.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, it will be up to the dealer. Officially Acura does not have to do anything after 50K miles, but maybe if u "establish good relationship" by doing all your service at Acura, Acura will be generous and gives you some kind of discount on tranny if it fails lets say of 60K miles. Maybe due to the large number of people having tranny problems they will extend waranty till 100K miles on tranny.

Even if they dont cover it at all, u will pay $2-3K, is that right?
still its better to take a chance and save 1000 buks right now, even if you might have to pay 2-3 grand latter ( chances are small )
Old 11-19-2001, 08:13 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by russianDude
It's only untill 100K, so for the fuking extra 50K miles you need to pay additional 1000$. Fuk that, its to much. Its better to take a risk. I am sure if transmission goes bad after 50K miles, Acura will probably cover half of the work, and even if they don't.
If tranny did not fail before 50K, I doubt it will fail in another 50K.
even if it does, chances are small, and you are better off saving 1000$ right NOW, then be paranoid and buy shit you don't really need.....
This is exactly the kind of thinking that my thread is addressing. This is exactly the kind of thinking that most people improperly apply when considering extended warranties. It's doesn't take into account the risk, your adversion to risk, and the time value of money. If you fail to get an extended warranty because you felt the same way as above, that's too bad for you, because it's just plain silly. Only because of this statement, "it's better to take a risk...." All we can hear about in one breath is "this is a $31k car", "...my hard earned money", "...when I are without a car, it impacts my whole life..." but in another breath you say "A $1000 is too much to protect me from all this?"
Old 11-19-2001, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went with the 100k mile warranty when I bought the car....... I've broken too many things in the past not to get it. 1k is a small price in the long run (and to sleep at night).

I'm very happy I bought it... Check my sig I had every problem possible. Since I'm planning on keeping her for at least 3-5 years, I feel safe that whatever brakes will get fixed.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I actually paid 7 and change for the 100k warranty.....
Old 11-19-2001, 10:03 PM
Rod
Drifting

I would normally say that extended warranties are a waste of money, but I think they may be worth getting with the CL-S if you plan on keeping it that long. I don't think I'll keep the car after 50K miles, so I'm not even thinking about getting one. I rather just get a new car that hopefully won't have me worrying all the time about the tranny, rotors, etc. Even with an extended warranty, having the tranny go out again or having to get my rotors resurfaced or replaced again will just be too much of a headache.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I think some of you should think a little more before you make stupid ass comments..... Getting a 100K warranty differs from people to people. It does not make anyone an idiot or stupid for getting it.

I got mine, cause I drive 20K+ a year. With a 50K warranty, I am out of it in 2 to 2.5 years. With the extended warranty, I am covered for 7 years and should be at the 100K mark around the same time.

So, for me, it is worth it......
Old 11-20-2001, 09:00 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Warranty means: A Peace of mind !
Old 11-20-2001, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele

This is exactly the kind of thinking that my thread is addressing. This is exactly the kind of thinking that most people improperly apply when considering extended warranties. It's doesn't take into account the risk, your adversion to risk, and the time value of money. If you fail to get an extended warranty because you felt the same way as above, that's too bad for you, because it's just plain silly. Only because of this statement, "it's better to take a risk...." All we can hear about in one breath is "this is a $31k car", "...my hard earned money", "...when I are without a car, it impacts my whole life..." but in another breath you say "A $1000 is too much to protect me from all this?"
Yeah, people like you buy insurance for everything. Just because you bought your insurance does not mean you made a right decision. you have to value the likelihood of risk vs. how much it costs to prevent the risk. To me, 1000$ is to much for an insurance of 50K miles, I will drive 50K miles in 2 years on highway, there is nothing will happen to my car. Ok, 1 % chance, then I use $1K to fix a problem. big deal.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:23 AM
Drifting

If you do or do not have the extended warranty, if the tranny goes you're still without your car. The warranty is a bet, and if I get to 50,000 without a tranny problem, I would consider $1,000.00 insurance for a $3,000.00 tranny a bad bet. I know the $1,000.00 also covers other things, but the only thing on this car that appears to have a fairly high suseptiblity to failure is the tranny. I'll buy stock with the $1,000.00 and play the odds that way.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Ha ha ha. I think russianDude is smoking something and not sharing. 1% chance of problem from 50-100k miles???? If that tranny goes, he will need more wampum than $1k.. Besides that, there are so many other electrics that could possibly go wrong.

Besides, like I said, it is a personal choice. Geez... $1,000 for me is worth the peace of mind...
Old 11-20-2001, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I'll probably will just get rid of it before 50K, will see how it behaves before I rich 50K miles, also will see how many more people get tranny problems.
trany replacement will cost 2-3K? So what, I'll pay 2-3K if it will happen, which I doubt, cause I drive my car very gently, and if my trany is doomed to fail, it will probably happen before I rich 50K miles. I better use this 1000$ to pre-pay my auto-loan to save on interest.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't forget to add the cost of a rental car if your tranny goes out after the warranty.
The acura extended warranty gives you a rental car.

You can also recover the cost if you sell your car privately, with the buyer knowing he gets a warranty.

I had a ford that never needed a dime. I also had an integra that needed a new ac system and blower motor.

What if your tranny goes and takes out the rev limiter with it and the motor blows? That will be much more than 2-3k

I love my CL-S, and plan to keep it about 6 years. I got the 7 year warranty just in case something new will be coming out within a year that I really want to wait for. Of course, that is what I said about my integra, and when the CL-S came out 5 years later I went for it.

What I really would like is a CL-S with 300+hp, AWD, convertible. Until then I am sitting pretty
Old 11-20-2001, 08:57 PM
Race Director

Of course the extended warranty is not for everyone. And it is certainly not for anyone who is unable to properly calculate and weight the situation appropriately as it applied to themselves. It's not just about the dollars and cents out of pocket. Risk has some value (to some) and can be measured in dollars. Perhaps I am already in the stock market with money, does that mean I don't need an extended warranty, too? Peace of mind has value to some, because the future changes and you are keenly aware that you are not always in control of the future (you might get laid off tomorrow and now everything has changed); that costs something. It's not just $1k out vs. $3k broken parts in.

You say you will sell the car right at 50k miles but what happens if you get married next year and that changes? You have no warranty. I think you get my point.

To me there are only 3 types of people who will always reject an extended warranty right away with no consideration:

1.The extremely wealthy who could give a rat's a$$ about this car.
2.The extremely poor who have no money at all and couldn't even get the extended warranty on sale at $199.99.
3.Those who do not know how to properly make the determination or do not care to properly make the determination for whatever reason.

Which are you?

Russiandude to answer your question, I did make the right decision; I made the right decision for me. I do not buy insurance for everything. For example, I don't have a service plan on my $500 television. I do the math, then make a decision. But at least I do the math. If it's not for you, that's fine, don't sweat it. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy because I understand everyone's needs are different.

If I think back to my original post, I think my original thoughts were trying to link the rationale behind rejecting an extended warranty but crying the blues when the tranny fails out of warranty. I know I will be revisiting this soon after our cars get older, so we can talk about it now, or I can bring it up again; later.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:30 PM
1 Phat CL !

I probably save that money and pay the loan so i can cut back on interest, or put it on stocks so i can pay for it if ever damaged. What a shitty car, when you come to think of it huh? German car is next for me, Audi sucks though, mercedes is nice!!!!!!!! and as long as you own the car free maintance on it, no need to even change the light in your map light. I just wanted horses thats Y i bought the CL, gotto selll this befo 50K, say in 2 years, i want to sell it. M5 or so. because to many people with too many problems.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

If you think the BMW's are more reliable, you will be in for quite an ownership shock

I have about two dozen ownership stories from various friends. Suffice to say none of them want to own another bmw. They are glad they had the chance to have one, as they are sweet when they are running Or if you can afford to trade it in every 3 years

I would love a 3 series awd convertible, but I am going to sit tight with my CL-s and wait for either Acura, Infinity, or Lexus in an awd convertible first
Old 11-21-2001, 10:49 PM
Subie Dubie

I still think it's a no brainer to GET the extended warranty. Me personally, i can say i've had no luck with cars over 50-60k miles, so the peace of mind is worth it imho. Also as others have mentioned, it could be way important if you choose to sell and the buyer knows he's covered for awhile.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:52 AM
Race Director

Someone mentioned in another thread that their rental car alone was $930 while their car was being repaired. Can you not get an entire extended warranty that includes a rental car for this amount?

I think we as Acura CL owners are caught in the middle; we are in a class that we need to seriously rethink the extended warranty. No longer is this the $14,000 Integra where we say "Forget it!" to an extended warranty and we don't have NSX or Jaguars such that we can afford to pay for maintenance and repair out of pocket.

I didn't buy the extended warranty because I found out that my insurance company GEICO has a program that will extend your OEM warranty until 100,000 miles or 5 years. All for about $40 a year. That was a no brainer.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:59 AM
www.drippinwet.com

I am sure if transmission goes bad after 50K miles, Acura will probably cover half of the work
1 it wouldn't be a ripoff to you if something major broke and it paid for itself

2 why should they?
Old 11-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Race Director

Read this thread about how much just the tranny costs.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:18 AM
www.drippinwet.com

and that is not retail
Old 11-22-2001, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

as soon as I rich 50K miles, I am selling it. to much to replace the tranny.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:13 PM
Oh...Behave!

You keep spelling "rich" - but it's really "reach" !
Old 11-22-2001, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you tripping bro?
"Rich" - is a correct spelling for the word I wanted to use.

You fuking nazzi racist
Old 12-13-2001, 12:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

To me there are only 3 types of people who will always reject an extended warranty right away with no consideration:

1.The extremely wealthy who could give a rat's a$$ about this car.
2.The extremely poor who have no money at all and couldn't even get the extended warranty on sale at $199.99.
3.Those who do not know how to properly make the determination or do not care to properly make the determination for whatever reason.

4. Someone who plans on getting rid of the car before the original warranty expires.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
That's an odd statement since you could just get the extended warranty and ride it out for another 50K miles.

It's cheaper to get a new car?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm happy with the Acura 7year/100K extended warranty I purchased. I keep cars a while and considering what the Nissan people wanted for air-idle control valve and/or an alternator, I figured $1400 was worth the protection...

I normally don't buy those extended warranties on electronic item -- since infant mortality will usually kill most of the duds inside the factory warranty. I have seen a lot of cars start having "little engine gizmo” problems 1-2 years after the warranty goes out (the timing is scary, and the stuff cost a lot of $$$)

Considering the price of the tranny…. I’m glad I got it

$0.02
Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RandyMax
No we don't. Acura only offer 4year/50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty.

From official Acura site:
http://www.acura.com/model_cl/cl_qual.asp

From Edmunds:
Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.
Extended Warranties Available -- Free Extended Warranty Quote
>>>>

Honda/Acura extended the warranty to either 7 years or 100,000 miles. The extended warranty applies to 2000-01 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2000-01 Honda Accord cars with automatic transmissions; 2000-01 Prelude; and 2000-03 Acura CL and TL cars.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So the original warranty has been extended to 7yrs/100k.

I'm going to call Acura of America to check...

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty and your tranny