1 More Tranny Bites The Dust! A 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 03:59 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 More Tranny Bites The Dust! A 2003

Damn! My wife's TL-S needs a new tranny. I brought it into Acura because the tranny was making a weird noise...sort of a whinning sound as you give it gas. Car is a 2003 with just under 36,000 miles on the clock. Got a free rental from Acura for a week or until it's fixed. Oh well, it wasn't like it was a total surprise I guess.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: 1 More Tranny Bites The Dust! A 2003

Originally posted by Pappy
Damn! My wife's TL-S needs a new tranny. I brought it into Acura because the tranny was making a weird noise...sort of a whinning sound as you give it gas. Car is a 2003 with just under 36,000 miles on the clock. Got a free rental from Acura for a week or until it's fixed. Oh well, it wasn't like it was a total surprise I guess.
Was your transmission included in the warranty extention?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

This is starting to become strange. I would almost think that some...not all...are perhaps driving the car a little hard. I mean come now...2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th tranny....come on now. Of course I could be wrong, but it just seems weird to me. I have a Sept. 2001 type-s with no issues. Granted, I dont drive my car like mario andretti some of the time, but I know some people that floor it at the green, just to slam on the breaks 1 block away at the red amoungst other things. I dont think this can be a good thing for our cars, or any car for that matter.

Now before anyone jumps on my stuff about my comments...I'm just saying that it makes you think. For example when the same customer comes into a retail store constantly saying that their computer is broke....you have to admit that you start thinking it could be a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

Of course, I could be all wrong and the ones that everyone has been getting are defective ones and are the poor things that have to deal with the mess.....I do apologize if that is the case. Again, I'm just saying.

Oh, and Pappy, before you start defending your wife's case, I'm making a general statement, nothing direct.

its 05:25am PST and I'm no awake yet

haha
Old 12-01-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
This is starting to become strange. I would almost think that some...not all...are perhaps driving the car a little hard. I mean come now...2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th tranny....come on now. Of course I could be wrong, but it just seems weird to me. I have a Sept. 2001 type-s with no issues. Granted, I dont drive my car like mario andretti some of the time, but I know some people that floor it at the green, just to slam on the breaks 1 block away at the red amoungst other things. I dont think this can be a good thing for our cars, or any car for that matter.

Now before anyone jumps on my stuff about my comments...I'm just saying that it makes you think. For example when the same customer comes into a retail store constantly saying that their computer is broke....you have to admit that you start thinking it could be a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

Of course, I could be all wrong and the ones that everyone has been getting are defective ones and are the poor things that have to deal with the mess.....I do apologize if that is the case. Again, I'm just saying.

Oh, and Pappy, before you start defending your wife's case, I'm making a general statement, nothing direct.

haha
dude common now, stop makin excuses for honda. the tranny's are a low grade hammered POS. look how early they even crap out. they can't even make it to 50K. its pathetic. I mean go to www.j-body.org, and you won't even see one single tranny failure. keep in mind these are cavaliers were talking about.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:33 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

There is a reason why Honda decided to warranty the tranny to 100k. It is an absolute piece of crap. Go to a maxima forum and check to see if they have the same transmission issues. They both have comparable power and the same target audience so the variability of the people driving is negated. Their transmissions are far stronger and don't ever have problems. The 6-speeds on the CLS are sweet though.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There have been quite a few 2003 TL's who's tranny has gone. No big surprise there.

I'm sure they'll get ya back on the road in no time.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:10 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were u included in the 100k warranty
Old 12-01-2003, 07:00 AM

hee hee hee hee hee hee....I knew that would wake up a few people...he hhehehehehehehehehe

Old 12-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Honda needs to let me cover the cost difference for a 6 speed swap. Or at least a built tranny from Dean
Old 12-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Old timer

Is wifey one of those people who treats the throttle like an on/off switch? You know, either they step on the pedal or they're off it? Because that's really obnoxious when you're in the car with someone who does that, but more to the point it's also improper driving technique and puts strain on the drivetrain it doesn't need.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

haha
Unfortunately you're 100% wrong on this. Not only did Honda admit that a range of VIN numbers could be effected b/c of a faulty tranny design, but they extended all of the warranties on those cars to 100k miles. If there wasn't a real problem, that warranty extension would not have happened.

Failures have happened on cars that were stock as well. There are also people who have been using Nitrous, or installed the S/C, or use both... and have not had a tranny problem....
hee hee hee hee hee hee....I knew that would wake up a few people...he hhehehehehehehehehe
P.S.... I've been up for about 5 hours now....
Old 12-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah my car has been in for over 3 weeks now waiting on the tranny to be replaced for the 4th Time.

Can't wait to get it back so i can sell the friggin thing

Gonna sell it cheap for like 9 or 10k
Old 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by juniorbean
P.S.... I've been up for about 5 hours now....

Lucky us huh...I had to be at work at 4am today....niiiiiiiice.

Dont get your panny in a bucnh..I was just trying to get a rise out of some peeps...nobody put a reply to the guys post yet...figured I would put up a good one. Do a search..you'll see my scared @$$ talking about the tranny issues too and wondering if every little thing I hear is a sign of the evitable.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NJ....why would you sell it soooooo cheap.....you could get more than that on a trade-in!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Instructor

This is starting to become strange. I would almost think that some...not all...are perhaps driving the car a little hard. I mean come now...2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th tranny....come on now. Of course I could be wrong, but it just seems weird to me. I have a Sept. 2001 type-s with no issues.
were you just born yesterday?

And even if some people drove their TL-Ses a bit too hard, isn't this supposed to be a performance sedan? Or is the little red s after TL there just for a show? If Acura made a performance sedan, then it should perform like one and be able to handle a little extra stress.

I don't drive mine any harder than I drove my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP or Chrysler 300M. Somehow those cars survived my driving style just fine for 3 years that I leased them without breaking. My TL-S broke after 6K miles.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

My wife's TL-S had under 36,000 miles on it so it was covered by the standard warranty. The car has no mods and is driven back and forth 100 miles a day. She does not beat on it.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by JRock
Is wifey one of those people who treats the throttle like an on/off switch? You know, either they step on the pedal or they're off it? Because that's really obnoxious when you're in the car with someone who does that, but more to the point it's also improper driving technique and puts strain on the drivetrain it doesn't need.
you mean it isn't a switch? How do you think you get to sixty in under 7 seconds? Sure isn't by feathering the throttle.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by peter-CL-S
you mean it isn't a switch? How do you think you get to sixty in under 7 seconds? Sure isn't by feathering the throttle.
it's a rheostat

Old 12-02-2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by ruski
were you just born yesterday?

And even if some people drove their TL-Ses a bit too hard, isn't this supposed to be a performance sedan? Or is the little red s after TL there just for a show? If Acura made a performance sedan, then it should perform like one and be able to handle a little extra stress.

I don't drive mine any harder than I drove my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP or Chrysler 300M. Somehow those cars survived my driving style just fine for 3 years that I leased them without breaking. My TL-S broke after 6K miles.

I dont think you are reading the entire thread before commenting on my quotes loser. Keep reading...

You might have read something that said:

"Lucky us huh...I had to be at work at 4am today....niiiiiiiice.

Dont get your panny in a bucnh..I was just trying to get a rise out of some peeps...nobody put a reply to the guys post yet...figured I would put up a good one. Do a search..you'll see my scared @$$ talking about the tranny issues too and wondering if every little thing I hear is a sign of the evitable."

sheesh, some people
Old 12-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Instructor

I dont think you are reading the entire thread before commenting on my quotes loser. Keep reading...

You might have read something that said:

"Lucky us huh...I had to be at work at 4am today....niiiiiiiice.

Dont get your panny in a bucnh..I was just trying to get a rise out of some peeps...nobody put a reply to the guys post yet...figured I would put up a good one. Do a search..you'll see my scared @$$ talking about the tranny issues too and wondering if every little thing I hear is a sign of the evitable."

sheesh, some people

I guess you are such a winner then.

You got what you were asking for.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 AM

Now, if I could just win the lottery..I'll be set.