Writing Contact Information On Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Writing Contact Information On Wheels

I bought RonJon Legend Type II wheels (reflective silver finish) for my CL and Cragar 352 Series Street Lock "D" Window wheels (gloss black finish) for my Jeep. Before I install them I plan on putting my name, address, and cellphone number on the rim of the wheel (the outer portion of the wheel, where the tire mounts). If my wheels were ever stolen, hopefully the shop mounting new tires would see my contact information did not match the customer's information and would inform me that they have my wheels.

I have a couple questions: 1) Has anyone else done this? 2) Should I include anything else besides my name, address, and cellphone number? 3) What is the best method to write the information on the rim (permanent marker, engraver, etc.)? I am concerned the permanent marker would fade over time... Would engraving the rim affect the balance? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Chances are who ever lives your car/truck on bricks knows how to install them without going to a shop.
Best way is to add it your insurance policy that way it's in record show them proof or recite but it must be added before it's stolen
Think positive.... Life is a mirror & will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,182 Likes on 4,827 Posts
Tech - "Hey, what's with the name and address on these wheels?"
Theif - "Oh, thats the guy I bought them off of."
Tech - "Oh, ok."

I don't think it would serve much of a purpose. Just get wheel locks and hope for the best.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a buddy use a heavy duty engraving pen on the rims from my 300zx. They got lifted and I never saw them again! lol
Best advise I can offer... Theft is 99% of the time an action of opportunity. Getting a good set of locking bolts for your rims is the best thing you can do deter anyone who has the opportunity. (IMO) Try using multiple brands (with different locking mechanisms) at the same time. They might be able to break one, but 2 or 3 might pose a tougher challenge. If the person REALLY wants to get your rims, there isn't much that is going to stop them. They'll scope you out until they can figure out when and how to get them. I heard a little while ago about an anti theft system that linked to the car alarm. If the rims were moved more than X number of feet from the car it would trigger off the system. Not sure where to get it, but my good friend Google might know.