Where can i get SSR Competitions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003 | 03:49 PM
mister D

Where can i get SSR Competitions

where do they have them for a cheap price?
Old 04-08-2003 | 04:55 PM
an adult perspective

I don't know about cheap, but there are only a few places that handle these wheels - Tire Rack being the predominant vender.
Old 04-08-2003 | 05:03 PM
Banned

What size Im selling my 17" in Silver
Old 04-08-2003 | 09:44 PM
mister D

Originally posted by lou
w/ what kind of tires if any, and where are you located
Old 04-08-2003 | 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kHmER Co
w/ what kind of tires if any, and where are you located
I have Michelin Pilot A/S in the 235/45 ZR 17
Im located in Queens,NY

I have close up pics for proof that the wheels have absolutly no curb rash nor any dents. My car is garage kept and barely driven.

Let me know what you decide.
Old 04-08-2003 | 09:54 PM
mister D

Originally posted by lou
I have Michelin Pilot A/S in the 235/45 ZR 17
Im located in Queens,NY

I have close up pics for proof that the wheels have absolutly no curb rash nor any dents. My car is garage kept and barely driven.

Let me know what you decide.
shoot me an email at ietmeplay@aol.com and u can tell me ur price
Old 04-08-2003 | 10:07 PM
Banned

to get an idea how they look on a black cL-S this is my old 02' car/

Old 04-08-2003 | 10:21 PM
mister D

i like my c5's much better, what other rims mite you guys suggest for the track? im not willing to spend 1300 just to use the rims a few times a year. any other light weight rims out there for a decent price?
Old 04-08-2003 | 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kHmER Co
i like my c5's much better, what other rims mite you guys suggest for the track? im not willing to spend 1300 just to use the rims a few times a year. any other light weight rims out there for a decent price?
If you only want them for the track don't waste your money and just buy for the 2 fronts in 16" and some 245/40
Old 05-01-2003 | 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Tire Rack is the USA Wholesaler for SSR rims. They are the ONLY wholesaler in the USA as far as I know. SSR is made by a japanese company called Speedstar:

http://www.speedstar.co.jp

So anyone who buys SSR rims locally, wherever local store they buy from, that store got them from tirerack. Tirerack is the USA presence of Speedstar.

So anyway, hope this helps clarify some stuff... Call tirerack and ask for local retailers, but your best bet is to buy directly from tirerack with the tires already mounted and balanced.

I was unable to do this as I wanted Toyo tires and tire rack doesn't carry them!
Old 05-01-2003 | 02:42 PM
Instructor

how much are u asking for, lou?
Old 05-01-2003 | 02:47 PM
Pro

keep in mind the comps are more of a track wheel. They are super light and super strong for their weight. But I've heard quite a few sotries of peoplebending them. I'd say the 17's are safe, but the 18's are a bit of a risk. I know people who have bent 15" comps in their little lightweight miatas on the sooth track roads. So keep that in mind. I just passed up a set of 18" comps with 255 series Toyo T1S tires for only $1200 because I was scared by the $450 a wheel it would cost me to replace any if I bent the. Driving in Boston I anticipate bending any wheel.
Old 05-01-2003 | 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ray Khan
keep in mind the comps are more of a track wheel. They are super light and super strong for their weight. But I've heard quite a few sotries of peoplebending them. I'd say the 17's are safe, but the 18's are a bit of a risk. I know people who have bent 15" comps in their little lightweight miatas on the sooth track roads. So keep that in mind. I just passed up a set of 18" comps with 255 series Toyo T1S tires for only $1200 because I was scared by the $450 a wheel it would cost me to replace any if I bent the. Driving in Boston I anticipate bending any wheel.
That may be true for the 18's but I can personally vouch for the 17X8's that I have, SSR comp, they are tough as nails. I've SLAMMED into some VERY bad potholes (even punctured through one of my tires once) and the rims have never bent. Pretty amazing actually, and yes, they are $450 each so it's pretty scary...
Old 05-01-2003 | 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lou
what are you replacing yours with ??

going up to 18" s ???
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:39 AM
Instructor

Ive got a set of brand new ones for sale.

http://acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1894930
Old 06-25-2004 | 03:31 PM
Race Director

Good ol lou.

I miss him.
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Strong wheels....

Originally Posted by Technique
That may be true for the 18's but I can personally vouch for the 17X8's that I have, SSR comp, they are tough as nails. I've SLAMMED into some VERY bad potholes (even punctured through one of my tires once) and the rims have never bent. Pretty amazing actually, and yes, they are $450 each so it's pretty scary...

I've done the same. I've been able to miss a lot of killer potholes, but I've hit a few that were pretty mean. The 17x8 SSRs seem pretty robust -- no bending. I'm very happy with them and their durability!

Hmmm... I thought you paid less for them then I did. I paid about $1400-$1500 for a set of four with installation.

And, yes, the dickweed tire dealer that installed them got them from Tire Rack. I had spoken with the US reps in Hawaii, and they claimed that Tire Rack was the exclusive wholesaler for the US. That was more than a year ago...

YMMV
Old 06-25-2004 | 10:04 PM
an adult perspective

Originally Posted by EricL
... and they claimed that Tire Rack was the exclusive wholesaler for the US. That was more than a year ago...
they're not
Old 06-25-2004 | 11:31 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Lou, LOL, chap you should come and chill. I see Lou all the time.
Old 06-26-2004 | 03:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
they're not
I was pretty clear about the conversation being in the past...

So, if you know, who else wholesales them for the US?

And, I've only got good things to say about Tire Rack in regards to the following:

The folks in Hawaii, talked to the factory and Tire Rack; they sent me a new set of center caps, and asked me to test them out. I received a couple of sets of o-rings to experiment with that were supposed to have come from the factory. I had to wait a while to get some new them, but they solved my problems.

They were the only people that gave a shit and helped...

I got dick from my local tire dealer who couldn't be bothered with a few minutes on the phone.

At least Tire Rack and the distributor came through with upgraded parts that cured some problems I was having with the caps being tossed when the front brakes got toasty...
Old 06-26-2004 | 11:39 PM
an adult perspective

My comment was addressed exclusively to that part of your thread which I highlighted. Each/every issue of European Car carries a full page advertisement from Wheels Boutique, which lists the SSR GT-3 as one of their items for sale. I don't know if the same applies to the Comp or not, so if the comment was addressing this specific application, than I appologize for opening my mouth, but this is not the first time that some members have incorrectly stated that the Tire Rack is the exclusive carrier of the SSR products. I also made no comments about Tire Rack or anything else that was contained in your post.
Old 06-27-2004 | 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Y2K3CL-S
My comment was addressed exclusively to that part of your thread which I highlighted. Each/every issue of European Car carries a full page advertisement from Wheels Boutique, which lists the SSR GT-3 as one of their items for sale. I don't know if the same applies to the Comp or not, so if the comment was addressing this specific application, than I appologize for opening my mouth, but this is not the first time that some members have incorrectly stated that the Tire Rack is the exclusive carrier of the SSR products. I also made no comments about Tire Rack or anything else that was contained in your post.
I simply related what I was told my Tire Rack and the Hawaii reps.You may be right about the SSR Comps as this is what I was addressing when I talked to both of them. I also wanted to make it very clear that the info was out-of-date, so it could actually be stale now.

The Hawaii reps who helped me in conjunction with Tire Rack (Eurosport? I think that is their name. The contact info and e-mails are sitting on an older server that's not hooked up right now.) They told me that that Tire Rack had an exclusive; this was at LEAST a year ago – and maybe more. I was talking to them about the SSR Competitions, so I may very well be possible that they were referring to the SSR Comps (don't know for sure).

The local tire dealer that turned out to be a complete jerk: no support!!!! He originally clamed he could get the SSR Comps through one of his connections. He checked and specifically said he couldn't get the SSR Comps through any of his distributors. When I asked about Tire Rack he said that he could get them from them, and could get them at wholesale prices and he also said they had an exclusive.

That was over 2-years ago.

That's all I know. The rest of the information was strictly informative about how Tire Rack really came through and they really didn't have to! The additional material was "information" about something very nice and customer friendly. At that time, my center caps were falling off the car when the brakes were hot, and my original dealer just blew me off.

-- That's all that is about. Kudos to Tire Rack --

And thanks for the clarification. It’s just more information – hey?
Old 06-27-2004 | 08:16 AM
an adult perspective

That's all I was trying to provide ... information. Unlike most on this site, I don't profess to be an expert on each/every subject that comes across. And also, unlike most on this site, there are a very limited number of true experts on certain subjects - and you definitely do fall into the latter category.
Funny, but I just noticed that I got some negative rep points from my post on this thread ... guess I should go out and slit my throat now, huh?
Old 06-27-2004 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EricL
I've done the same. I've been able to miss a lot of killer potholes, but I've hit a few that were pretty mean. The 17x8 SSRs seem pretty robust -- no bending. I'm very happy with them and their durability!

Hmmm... I thought you paid less for them then I did. I paid about $1400-$1500 for a set of four with installation.

And, yes, the dickweed tire dealer that installed them got them from Tire Rack. I had spoken with the US reps in Hawaii, and they claimed that Tire Rack was the exclusive wholesaler for the US. That was more than a year ago...

YMMV
They are very strong forged wheels....

Ive had a couple off track excursions on them with no problems at all... whereas others with cast wheels have issues w/ bending...
Old 06-27-2004 | 08:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I just need 2, any hints on best prices around?