Warranty Question............

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Warranty Question............

About ten months ago I had my local Acura dealer install my CT spring in my car with the stock shocks. Since the install I have dialed up may be a total of 5k miles on the springs, but recently I noted an unusual noise from the front left wheel area when drving in or out of my driveway and on bumpy road surface. Last night I got under the car I noted that there is oil residue all over the shock body and related suspension arms. Should I assume that it is a blown shock? The car does not oscillate when pushed on that corner. Is this something that the acura warranty will cover? All the other shocks dont have the oil residue and look normal and with no abnormal noises. Or should I just get new aftermarket shocks such as TokicoHP or Koni or KYB.?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I had a blown front strut. The dealership saw it when they were replacing the tranny. They changed it without a problem and covered it under the warrenty. My car has H&R springs and they were not installed by the dealer. I believe if the car is under warrenty, they will change it.

If you're more inclined to get new shocks all together, I would look into coilovers and sell the CT springs. Or go with Koni Yellows.

http://www.c-c-c.net/CustomCarCreati...Page/index.htm

You can get them here, or see if there are any group buys going on.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I had a blown front strut. The dealership saw it when they were replacing the tranny. They changed it without a problem and covered it under the warrenty. My car has H&R springs and they were not installed by the dealer. I believe if the car is under warrenty, they will change it.

If you're more inclined to get new shocks all together, I would look into coilovers and sell the CT springs. Or go with Koni Yellows.

http://www.c-c-c.net/CustomCarCreati...Page/index.htm

You can get them here, or see if there are any group buys going on.
You are very lucky. I doubt there are any other dealers that will replace a blown shock with aftermarket springs.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phipark
You are very lucky. I doubt there are any other dealers that will replace a blown shock with aftermarket springs.
That's what I thought. They did the motor mounts too. No problems.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
Last night I got under the car I noted that there is oil residue all over the shock body and related suspension arms. Should I assume that it is a blown shock? .......
Two thoughts: CV joint or front motor mount. Both hold oil products which will leave a residue. A bad (dry / cracked) CV joint grunts when you turn the wheels, and it will sling grease all over the place when cracked. A bad motor mount has hydraulic fluid that will leak, and it lets the motor shift on braking and acceleration and definitely will create a noise and a vibration. I would guess one of these are causing your problem. CL's are notorious for broken motor / tran mounts. My
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by clswhite
Two thoughts: CV joint or front motor mount. Both hold oil products which will leave a residue. A bad (dry / cracked) CV joint grunts when you turn the wheels, and it will sling grease all over the place when cracked. A bad motor mount has hydraulic fluid that will leak, and it lets the motor shift on braking and acceleration and definitely will create a noise and a vibration. I would guess one of these are causing your problem. CL's are notorious for broken motor / tran mounts. My

Is not none of those. CV boots are good and mounts also. THe oil definately came from the shock, because it all over the shock casing. I just want to know if the Acura warranty will cover the shock since they install the springs or should I not bother and just get aftermarket shocks.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dfv3.2CL-S
Is not none of those. CV boots are good and mounts also. THe oil definately came from the shock, because it all over the shock casing. I just want to know if the Acura warranty will cover the shock since they install the springs or should I not bother and just get aftermarket shocks.
They did for me. It's worth a try.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ask the dealer if they will cover it
Old 12-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
I know damn sure any of them in my area won't. I'd just get aftermarkets ones & replace all 4. I saved myself the hassle & replaced them with the springs.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks a lot guys.