My shock fell through my damper fork and slammed into the driveshaft!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My shock fell through my damper fork and slammed into the driveshaft!

i was driving this morning to work when all of a sudden a hear a REALY loud BOOM from my driver side wheel, I thought I hit a pot hole and deffinatly bent a rim it was soo loud. SO i pulled oved right away to see the damage.
My tire and rim looked fine but i noticed OIL in the inside of my rim and all over in the wheel well, so i walked back to see if I hit a bottle of something that exploded. There was no pothole or no bottle so i get in my car and finish drivingv to work. I hear rubbing the whole drive, when I get to work (I Work at a DLR) i had one of the master techs take a quick look under the car.
The shock came through the damper fork and is laying on the driveshaft , It hit that rubber boot with all the grease in it, so the shock exploded and that rubber boot exploded. He thinks that the metel tab that holds the shock in the damper for snapped off, but they want to put it on a lift to make sure.
So this is MY B@G shock that is under LIFETIME warrenty and the metal tab snapped after 4-5 montha all-ready!
I want to put the car on the lift B4 I start making calls to Excelarate and B@G.
This REALLY SUX I hope the shock slamming into the driveshaft didnt damage anything else cuz it did make a REALLY LOUD bang when it happen.
Now I also have no way to and from work!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
wow, sorry to hear man!

what year, how many miles did you have? i have never heard of this happening...was your car in any known accidents prior to this accident or prior to your purchase of the car?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Not a doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man, sorry to hear that. I always got the feeling B@G were shitty quality though.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,353 Likes on 4,915 Posts
That does suck. So your axles boot tore as well? You can either repack a new boot or get new axles. Id go with new axles, they are cheap at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
get the gs-p new axles. i got some. good shit
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
My car is a 2001 with 169k miles... I just put these shocks in less the 3000 miles ago..
I am 80% possitive that metal tap that holds the shocks on the dampening fork snapped off.. I will not know till later but will take pics and update u guys when they have time to put it on a lift.. I work for a GM dlr so there service dept is very busy! The screw is still in the dampining fork and the fork does not look cracked or anything so im sure it was the shock that was defected, the metel tab should not break after 4 months!

How much do axels cost about? do I have to replace both at once or can I just replace the one the shock fell on!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by phee
get the gs-p new axles. i got some. good shit
Where can I get them and how much are they?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
wow, sorry to hear man!

what year, how many miles did you have? i have never heard of this happening...was your car in any known accidents prior to this accident or prior to your purchase of the car?
I owned the car since new in June of 2000.
I was in a couple of accedents 6-7 years ago, but only cosmetic.
I never heard of this and when the techs took a quick look at it they said the part was faulty, The ONLY way something like that can happen is bad welds on a faulty part, BUT i wanna put it on a lift and have the master tech look at it B4 i call some people to get a new shock under this LIFETIME warrenty!

If they faulty part failing caused anouther part to fail would B@G be resposible for it?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,353 Likes on 4,915 Posts
Yes, they would. Whether or not they will cover it though is another story.

It sounds like a design flaw. Most struts Ive used have a tapered end on the strut body, so it cant really slide past the stops on the fork. It sounds like the B@G struts are the same diameter, and rely heavily on a thin piece of metal to support it. Ive never seen the B@G struts, so this is just what it seems like to me.

I'd reccomend swaping out both axles at the same time, thats just me though.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:20 PM
B A N N E D

Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM
B A N N E D

Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
B A N N E D

b@G was pretty cool about the situation..They SAY it never happen b4 and I was the first case they saw this happen to..But who is gonna say your the 3 person this week with a shock falling through your fork..?? They are 2nd day shipping it to me and they shipped it right after i sent them pics , thank goodness cuz i didnt feel like taking the shock out and sending to them and waiting for a replacement!!
I got a tracking # for 2nd day air about a hour after sending the pics so I deff would give them a A+ for customer service!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
good service indeed. but was there any damage to the driveshaft/axle or any other part of your suspension?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
good service indeed. but was there any damage to the driveshaft/axle or any other part of your suspension?
I don't know, It does not look like it..
It just looks like the metal band that holds the boot broke off.
SO i am gonna pump some grease into the boot snap a new metal band around it and hope for the best!
I guess I will not know untill I take the shock out and put the new one in!
When it hit it was LOUD so I am praying nuttin else went wrong!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

keep us updated
Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

DAMN...another issue...that sucks man.

At least you have access to lifts and what not at the dealer.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
DAMN...another issue...that sucks man.

At least you have access to lifts and what not at the dealer.
Yeah This past month was the worste month in the 9 years of owning my car.
MY coil went bad and i was without my car for 3-4 days and now i am without my car for 3 days! This really is the worste month of the whole 9 years of my car!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
HAha, wowwww, that's awesome!
Sucks though.. sorry man.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
B A N N E D

The owner of the DLR I work at used to own 3 DLR's rt23 pompton plains, route 46 towtwa and rt17 ramsey in NJ.. I used to be top dog at the 23 location and it was the best the shop hours where till 6 pm but they left the shop open so after 6 i would drive my car in and put it on a lift , alot of the tech would stay and have happy hour after 6 so I would use there tools and they would look over my work or even do the work for a case or two!
Now in the new loc 46 they close ALL doors to the shop at 6 so I have no access to the lifts after hours, but they would do little things for me here and there but this is gonna cost me 1 hour labor, thank god they charge employees 35/hour for labor so after taxes its gonna cost me about $42 cuz it should not take longer then 1 hour to fill and clamp the boot and swap springs and install new shock!
They put my option pulley in for $42 so its no too bad but its not great like I had it where I had access to all the snap on tools and lifts and all the drunk knowledge of cars!
I do have a honda expert here so he is pretty good with doing all this stuff to me car, rather do it mysel;f though and KNOW its done RIGHT!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
was the bolt not tight enough on the fork to help hold the shock in?? recheck all the other bolts on the 4 corners of the car to be safe
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
^ That's a good idea. There's a spring/strut install DIY and it gives all the torque specs for all the bolts.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
I don't know, It does not look like it..
It just looks like the metal band that holds the boot broke off.
SO i am gonna pump some grease into the boot snap a new metal band around it and hope for the best!
I guess I will not know untill I take the shock out and put the new one in!
When it hit it was LOUD so I am praying nuttin else went wrong!
Assuming you didn't drive in the rain, it'll be fine to just regrease it and go. If you start hearing noise from that axle, it's not an expensive fix.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Assuming you didn't drive in the rain, it'll be fine to just regrease it and go. If you start hearing noise from that axle, it's not an expensive fix.
After the loud bang I drove maybee 2 miles or even a little less to get to work but it seemed to drive fine at first (i dont thing the shock was sitting on the driveshaft) but after i got there and looked at it Jacked upp and put back down and drove it it rubbed.. I did not drive in the rain!
I am gonna fix it up and hope the axel is all good , I should get to it tommorrow that when my shock is suppose to be here according to ups shipping!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
B A N N E D

here is a pic of the shock!

The whole tab ripped off the welding!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous for something that new. Maybe just a bad weld?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Wow, that's ridiculous for something that new. Maybe just a bad weld?

It was deffinatly a faulty product. None of the techs at my shop nor the guy at B@G seen anything like this before. It was prob welded on a friday at 4:45 pm or monday a 8:00 AM after a hangover!
I sent a few photos to the B@G tech so they can foward them to the people that weld the shocks so they can improve there products so it does not happen to anyone else!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
It looks like the tube caved in where the metal tab was welded. You can see the oval indentation where the paint wasn't scraped off, then as it was pushed up, it caved in the tube until it broke off and wedged itself higher and appears to have punctured the tube. Either the tube wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the car on the tab or the bolt was loose and just hammered itself to destruction.

Check the welds of the others and compare them with the new one. Can you take close up pic of the broken welded area?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by RooEng
It looks like the tube caved in where the metal tab was welded. You can see the oval indentation where the paint wasn't scraped off, then as it was pushed up, it caved in the tube until it broke off and wedged itself higher and appears to have punctured the tube. Either the tube wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the car on the tab or the bolt was loose and just hammered itself to destruction.

Check the welds of the others and compare them with the new one. Can you take close up pic of the broken welded area?
That rip is right where the weld was, that indent is on all the shocks right under where the welded metal tab is. The screw was on very tight we checked and it was deff screwed on there tight!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
dont be mad

if this happened once, why would u even want a replacement from the same company? i would never buy from them again
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TypeStylinOnU
if this happened once, why would u even want a replacement from the same company? i would never buy from them again

So My transmission on my car went out 2 times, does that mean I will never buy anouther honda/acura product..No they had great service both times it happen and treated me well, same here there product failed BUT they where really cool and sent out a replacement ASAP , 1 hour after I sent then a photo and 2 hours after it happen I had a tracking # for 2nd day AIR that is great customer service.. I work with people all day and the product I sell is not the greatest but people keep comming back becuz I treat them right and that is the most important thing for me. It did not cause any damage to my car, my car is back on the road and driving GREAT again and handling GREAT again. Any Idiot can mess up a weld, and they never saw this b4 with any of there shocks.. If this happens again then that is a different story, even w/my car tranny went out not 1 time but 2 times and I will still buy anouther Acura, next time a RL though.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
B A N N E D

And all the components have a LIFETIME warrenty so its not like I paid for the part or the shipping!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM
dont be mad

Originally Posted by StonedCL
So My transmission on my car went out 2 times, does that mean I will never buy anouther honda/acura product..No they had great service both times it happen and treated me well, same here there product failed BUT they where really cool and sent out a replacement ASAP , 1 hour after I sent then a photo and 2 hours after it happen I had a tracking # for 2nd day AIR that is great customer service.. I work with people all day and the product I sell is not the greatest but people keep comming back becuz I treat them right and that is the most important thing for me. It did not cause any damage to my car, my car is back on the road and driving GREAT again and handling GREAT again. Any Idiot can mess up a weld, and they never saw this b4 with any of there shocks.. If this happens again then that is a different story, even w/my car tranny went out not 1 time but 2 times and I will still buy anouther Acura, next time a RL though.
knowing the problems acura/honda has with their automatic transmissions, youre damn right ill never buy another auto acura again, no matter how many times they want to replace it.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Suzuka Master

The RSX and TSX has no tranny issues with their autos at all
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
dont be mad

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
The RSX and TSX has no tranny issues with their autos at all
and they both come manual, which i would get over the auto any day. Eitherway, i dont know how fast this guy was going when this happened, hopefully his replacement ones dont blow up while hes on the highway, suspension is something u dont cheap out on
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
B A N N E D

and they both come manual, which i would get over the auto any day. Eitherway, i dont know how fast this guy was going when this happened, hopefully his replacement ones dont blow up while hes on the highway, suspension is something u dont cheap out on
Fist off B@G is a reputable Company there springs been around for ages they do more stuff for european cars and there suspention kit is over $700 so I didnt CHEAP OUT on it. I picked it becouse they have a lifetime warrenty and they have been around for some time now making suspention products.
I also picked it up becouse the drop is perfect for where I drive and didnt not need a camber kit my alignment was perfect after the instalation and the car handles GREAT and the ride feels stock . A few other people bought the same suspention for there cars and all are 100% happy with there product.
Any company can make a product with 1 bad weld do u think a comptech product never had a bad weld?
Before u go saing I cheaped out on my suspention do some research!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I mean the RSX and TSX with auto trannies had no problems.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM
B A N N E D

Ticking / clicking noise coming from behind sngine when idleing..

I did a search and I see that is is a common problem.
I was checking my oil, tranny fluid, and that my actulator was working and kept hearing this tick/clicking noise comming from behind the engine.
At first (B4 i strarted searching the forum) I thought my valves but then when listening closer it was not comming from where the valves are located. The ticking / clicking is prob my purge control solenoid.
My question is did it always do this, I never really noticed it b4 today and i do mess under the hood alot I think i would have noticed it.
DO the purge control solenoid only start to tick when it gets older if I buy a new purge control solenoid will the ticking stop.
The ticking is a rythem a fasted tick but when the rpms go up u dont hear it anymore and when they come back down to idle it take a few seconds to start up again.
Is there a DIY on installing a new purge control solenoid and is it easy..??

BTW from what I explained do u guys think the problem is the purge control solenoid?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I put a new purge solenoid in recently. You can hear the ticking and if you put your finger on it, you can actually feel the ticking. Just need a pair of needle nose to get the hoses off and put the new one back on. Super easy. And there may be a DIY somewhere...maybe the TL side.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by gnuts
I put a new purge solenoid in recently. You can hear the ticking and if you put your finger on it, you can actually feel the ticking. Just need a pair of needle nose to get the hoses off and put the new one back on. Super easy. And there may be a DIY somewhere...maybe the TL side.
Thanks ALOT i did not mean to post this in this thread!

Quick Reply: My shock fell through my damper fork and slammed into the driveshaft!