Help with water like spots on rims and car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Help with water like spots on rims and car

anybody know the best way to prevent water spots especially on the rims frm forming that whitish or rain drop pattern on the chrome wheels, it is fugly looking if u ask me.
I think there is something(minerals) in the TX water or rain that really makes this happens everytime nver had this prblem up Midwest.
My routine is
I wash it off every time i see it but its very difficult to keep it off, i once fot so irritated and washed the wheels every 2days just to avoid seeing those dried up whitish/salty water spots but as soon as they dry or in 2hrs here comes the dang*on spots again.

>i normally use eagle one never dull an then wipe it down.
> then i used mothers chrome polish ( but stopped using it afta 2 wks since they do the same job)
> the hard part/job is in wiping it down real good but sometimes the water spots are so resistant that u can still see them a little so to work it off... I try to spend abt 30 mins/wheel to really get it off.

so the question is what am i doing wrong or what should i be doing.

i was thinking washing it with just plain h2o and soap might wrk but its seems tedious becos the wets rims just create even more mess and needs to be dried well b4 u can even polish or use never dull.

is there any wax chrome safe that cud help, amoroil just doesnt do it.

no acidic or alakaline chemicals pls those will eat up ur wheels or chrome with time = oxidation spots
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Idk what to tell ya, but i use ... I think its turtle wax ICE car wash and liquid polish, i've never seen water bead more frequently with any other wash. I am at the point where I dont and have never used rain-x but when i get to speed of 60+mph on the highway, I no longer need wipers... due to the ICE carwash, it is excellent, try it out.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gnate
Idk what to tell ya, but i use ... I think its turtle wax ICE car wash and liquid polish, i've never seen water bead more frequently with any other wash. I am at the point where I dont and have never used rain-x but when i get to speed of 60+mph on the highway, I no longer need wipers... due to the ICE carwash, it is excellent, try it out.

is it good for ur chrome wheel 2.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Custom User Title

I use it on my wheels and have had no issues, the polish as well.

But I mean, I don't really have acidic rain that becomes cloudy like yours... but hell give it a try, it can't hurt.

Oh and BTW i've found that the Ice stuff is waaaay better than eagle one's nanowax... if that's what you've used.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks will do.
I have been using that nano wax from eagle . its good stuff but it does nt prevent it.
I have read on some other forums abt mr clean or using filtered water which i know works 4 the wash and dry without using any towels so it dries spotless but the issue is what happens after the wash like 1 or 2 days after.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Custom User Title

Yeah, I'm not too sure, i've never used that wash and dry thing..a bit skeptical about it. I always use a chamois cloth to dry my car.

Let me know if that helps at all.

I mean at worst i'm sure after cleaning and polishing... say it rains a day later.. the polish is pretty dang good, so i'm sure you could just rinse your car damn well and then chamois it off and *poof* spots are gone.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,187 Likes on 4,832 Posts
Do you wash your car right after driving it? If you do, your wheels are hot because of the brakes, and when you spray water on them, you "bake" in the water spots.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Try reposting in the Wash/Wax section. You will get more info from the experts there. Pics would help too

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Do you wash your car right after driving it? If you do, your wheels are hot because of the brakes, and when you spray water on them, you "bake" in the water spots.
well i can understand that theory.......emm maybe i need to let it cool b4 washing but i still dont think that shud make it permanet. hwen its hot outside its hot + the temp of the brakes so its a toss up there, i dont know.