Help sizing rims without suspension drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 07:23 PM
Advanced

Help sizing rims without suspension drop

I recently started considering buying new rims/tires for my '01 CL, and I'd like to ask all of you who have more experience with this, what the best options would be... Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

1. I don't want to drop the suspension at all, at this time, but would like to leave myself the option to do so later.
2. I'd like to get rid of as much as possible of the gap between the top of the tires and the wheel well, again without dropping the suspension, but without going to a rim/tire size that will cause me to rub against the wheel wells in the front when turning. Closing the gap in the wheel wells is sort of the most important goal I'd like to achieve.
3. I'd like to go with wider wheels than the stock wheels, as wide as possible, but not at the expense of closing the gap in the wells.

I really like the look of the Motegi FF7's in the gunmetal grey color, but specific rims aside, what's the largest size I can go to for rims and tires that will close up the gaps in the wheel wells? I've been searching the forums to try to learn as much as possible, but most of you all have suspension drops on your CLs so I've been having trouble trying to figure out what would be optimal for my particular situation. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

'01
Old 05-12-2006 | 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

If your want less wheel gap you should stick with the stock size tires. 215-50-17. Anything else will create more wheel gap because you need to go to a lower profile tire with bigger wider rims. For rims stick with a 17X7.5, X8 or18X7.5, X8 with a +45 or higher offset. +48 or +50 would work better.
If you really want to get rid of the gap it would make more sense to lower it now(for less $$ then rims & tires) & then stick the stocks rims/tires on.
Then get rims tires when you ready.
Old 05-21-2006 | 06:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Been away for the last week so didn't have a chance to post again.

My CL is not Type S, so my stock tires are 205/60 16". I'm considering lowering the car, but would really like to hold that off until some later date.

What are the widest wheels my car can handle? Ideally I'd like the rear wheels to line up flush with the body, but not extend out farther than the body.

I guess I can go from 16" to 18" rims, but would I run into any problems with the front tires scraping on 18's?

What's the typical cost for lowering a car? I would probably go with coilovers. The thing is that I have my rear seats out of the car right now while I've been running wires, so this would probably be the ideal time to lower the car, since there's easy access to the rear right now.

Just don't know which way to go yet, but I really want to get rid of the gap above the wheels.

'01
Old 05-21-2006 | 07:45 PM
Instructor

If you're not planning to play around with your suspension after they are installed, your best bet is to go with spring / shocks combo (coilovers are a bit pricey). As far as springs, you have several option. I personally have Tein Htech, but H&R sports are good also (you have to get the one for 98-02 accord application). Eibach also make one, and comptech (prone to rust).

For shocks, i went with Bilstein Sports (Lifetime warranty...can't beat that). Koni yellow and Tokico are another great shocks..

I spend somewhere around $600 for suspension parts (shocks and springs), and free on installation (DIY )

wheels: you can go all the way to 20" if you want to...but i think 18" is the best balance (if you lower the car). Get wheels with offset of 48 or more to be safe (no rubbing).

Have fun
Old 05-22-2006 | 12:33 AM
o1s
Drifting

coilovers are def. worth it. they aren't much more than sping/shocks, if you stick to a basic coilover kit.plus they are adjustable, in case you are rubbing or scraping. as with the wheels, listen to fuzzy. that is pretty much exactly the same thing i would do to help with fender gap.
Old 05-22-2006 | 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Same thing applies with 16" rims.