Yes.. another tranny thread. 6MT CL-S..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.. another tranny thread. 6MT CL-S..

Ok, so I searched as much as I could possibly handle and didn't find what I am looking for. All the threads(even when specifically searching 6-speed, 6MT etc. since everyone suggests swapping out the auto for the 6spd) were about the slushbox.

Background: Bought the car a few months ago with ~68k on the clock, now at ~72k. Knew beforehand that the trans had been rebuilt at 55k, but it shifted perfectly and everything seemed fine. The car was making no uncommon noises at this point.

So basically the car is making a nice grinding sound under certain circumstances. I believe it to be trans/fly/clutch/pp related, but don't know for sure. The noise happens no matter the RPMs, only after applying the throttle and then lessening/cutting throttle. It happens whether in gear, or if shifting to neutral after cutting throttle. If I rev the car in neutral after coming to a stop the noise is not present while the revs rise or fall. It literally sounds like something is bouncing around in the trans

Performance does not seem to be diminished, but I haven't really pushed it since the noise developed.

Your help is greatly appreciated, as the car is out of warranty I would like to get an idea of what the problem is before I go get dicked around by the dealer.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good dealer/indy in SoCal that would be great.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If the trans was rebuilt, do you know who did it? It may have a warranty on the rebuilt trans.
I don't see how or why a 6MT trans would need a rebuild as 55K miles unless it was totally messed up. You sure it was a rebuild? Sounds like a syncro problem to me. You can try a fluid change 1st. Acura has a new manual trans fluid out. Check the clutch fluid also, it may be low.

It may not even be trans related. It could be your axle shafts, or suspension.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 516 Likes on 292 Posts
could the rods be bent?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I am sure it was a complete rebuild. I called the dealer where they did the rebuild and they say the warranty was 1 year and some random amount of mileage which hasn't passed, but the rebuild was almost 2 years ago. So no luck there. They said there is some kind of extended warranty till 100k that I can try to get transferred, but that there are no guarantees Acura will do it.

I agree, I was really surprised that the trans had been rebuilt already. Everything I've read says they are pretty much bulletproof. I'm guessing it was some dumb ass kid who didn't know how to drive ripping it apart.

It could be the axle shafts, hadn't thought of that. It really sounds like a trans issue, just based on when the sound starts and where it is coming from. With the windows down, you can't hear anything. It seems to be coming right through the bottom of the center console, from the drivetrain tunnel. I already tried a tranny drain/fill with the fluid from the dealer. I can do the clutch fluid later today.

It definitely doesn't sound like rod knock, as I said if I rev the car in neutral or with the clutch in there are no abnormal noises. I also used a stethoscope on the block because that was my worst fear at first, having destroyed an engine in my Saab 900 SPG(R.I.P. ) this way not too long ago.

The real problem is this isn't my car, its my mothers. So I can only check it out every now and then, and since I'm not the one who has been driving it I don't know if any other symptoms occured before this. My mom drives like an old woman, being 58 and all, so I really can't see how she could have destroyed the trans herself. The few times I have borrowed the car to have some fun, I never missed a shift or anything abnormal. My mother has always driven a manual car, so she knows what she is doing. Hell she can drive my turbo'd 240z with the SPEC stage3 clutch/pp without any problems.

Anyways, that got pretty winded. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Could it be a loose heat shield around the cat or something else loose? These are all easy things to check first.
Sucks for sure.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 516 Likes on 292 Posts
Oh, i mean the tranny's gear rods, ... my cousin's older race car had that happen. but his would come out of gear.

it just seemed like the gears weren't being pushed properly to where they need to be, and often it grinded, and eventually would come out of gear. It was a honda, and supposedly honda has pretty weak rods, and also is prone to losing alignment easier than other cars.

too bad your mom likes manuals, i'd give you my boring automatic

but anyways, the more i remember the bent rods scenario, it was only during shifting and became obvious which gears were causing the trouble.

... well all i can say now is good luck