Trunk won't latch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk won't latch

I've looked through the forums and found a couple of threads relating to the trunk latch not closing. The one says to get a new trunk lock, the other says to check the glove box. I know its not the glove box issue, and before I go and buy the whole lock I was wondering if there is anything else I can troubleshoot. When I press the trunk button on the remote I can hear a very very slight click in the trunk lock, but nothing happens.

Please help me if you can!

thanks

peakyfreak
Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Mine dosent seem to close well either, I was going to look at adjusting it soon. I will be interested to see what people say.

Sean
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

So far they don't seem to say anything. Anyone looking at this who has an idea on what could be going wrong would be a huge help!

Thanks again.

peakyfreak
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peakyfreak80
So far they don't seem to say anything. Anyone looking at this who has an idea on what could be going wrong would be a huge help!

Thanks again.

peakyfreak
I was one of the people who posted here about replacing a trunk latch. Had to do it about 2 years ago on my 01'CLS. Spent a good 2 weeks trouble shooting the darn thing. Mine would not open and I had to reach in thru the back seat and activate the emergency release handle. Let's see if I can help here.

Going from memory here but here's a quick rundown on the lock. Mechanism on the latch works pretty much like the doors, except rotated 90-degrees. The lock has an "open" position and a "close" position. When the trunk is open, mechanism should be in the "open" position. When you shut it, the striker (the metal loop on the bottom edge) hits the mechanism, rotating it from "open" to "close", holding it down tight. When you hit the button, the mechanism rotates from "close" to "open", the springs on the trunk lid pushes the trunk up and opens it. If for some reason mechanism is in the "close" position while the trunk is open, it will not latch when you try to shut it. However, pressing the button will cause it to rotate from the close to open position if the latch is functional.

On yours, you indicate that it would not "latch". I assume this means it would not close and hold shut. 1) Latch could be in close position. (If pressing the button does not fix it, latch is broken.) 2) Striker loop could be misaligned. (Check striker loop. Is it loose/shaky? Unlikely though I think.) 3) Trunk is misaligned that striker is not hitting mechanism. (Check visual) 4) Rubber standoffs at both sides of trunk lid are too high, preventing full close. (Check rubber standoffs. Turn them in/out as appropriate.)

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
in really only needs some adjustments and some grease in the latch itself.