NYC Fire fighter needs advice/help with his 01 CLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Fire fighter needs advice/help with his 01 CLS

Im not very car savvy> Yesterday after pulling out of a spot, My car started reving as if the car was in neutral. This is he first time that happened and im assuming i need a new Tranny. I barely made it home. from what i read these cars are notorious for Tranny problems. I brought my car to the dealership 2-3 years ago and they changed the stock tranny for the one that starts with an 'M' Up until now i had no problems. I cant drive the car anymore cause it will over rev and takes a couple seconds to get in gear. Here are the question I havent been able to find specific help with the search function;

Does anyone know if the new tranny the Dealership put in has a warrenty?.
I read something about a Honda odyessey Tranny being a better choice???
If i have to get a rebuit tranny, is it cheaper to have a conversion to a MT. Is it even possible to go from auto to MT??
AAmco good choice for AT???
I check the transmission fluid, it has enough but doesnt look pink/red, it looks brown/dirty. could that b the cause.

I appreciate any help guys,

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Sounds like your transmission is slipping pretty badly. My guess is that it's done. Check the transmission fluid. If it's black and burnt, then that's the end of it.

My guess is that you got a remanufactured transmission, that's why it starts with an M I thought all the transmissions made after 2005 weren't supposed to have any problems though

Ask the dealer what kind of transmission they put in. Don't know if it's got a warranty or not.

I think the Odyssey transmission and 07 TL transmission are ones that have ben tried and been satisfactory.

Very possible and popular to go a switch to MT. Many owners here have done it. I think it'll be cheaper, and will last longer. Not to mention it's always more fun

GL wtih whatever you do.