Noise when trunk lid opens

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise when trunk lid opens

The trunk lid on my 2001 CL was intermittently not latching. So I did what I do for lots of sticky things, I sprayed a little shot of WD40 into the latch area inside the trunk lid which did not fix the problem but did cause a terrible sound to occur each time the latch is activated, either from inside the car or using the remote opener on the key. I had hoped that this noise would be eliminated after any liquid had evaporated. No such luck. The trunk still opens fine, but the latch still sticks sometimes in the open position and therefore does not latch. I have however subsequently discovered that a sharp blow to the trunk interior adjacent to the mechanism will pop the latch back into position to facilitate the latch engaging when shut. Any suggestions as to stopping the noise as well as the sticking latch?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Originally Posted by laurie b
I have however subsequently discovered that a sharp blow to the trunk interior adjacent to the mechanism will pop the latch back into position to facilitate the latch engaging when shut. Any suggestions as to stopping the noise as well as the sticking latch?
You may need to 'grease' the latching mechanism versus just 'lubing' them with WD40.

If you don't have any proper automotive grease handy, then just use some Vaseline liberally on the areas indicated on the attached scan in regards to 'Trunk Lid Latch Replacement'.

If that does not remedy your situation, you/your mechanic may need to entertain replacing the latch mechanism if it is malfunctioning. #24 on the link below illustrates the latch mechanism and its online cost, if you are interested:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...trunk-lid-scat

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TrunkLidLatch.pdf (399.5 KB, 42 views)
The following users liked this post:
laurie b (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by laurie b
The trunk lid on my 2001 CL was intermittently not latching. So I did what I do for lots of sticky things, I sprayed a little shot of WD40 into the latch area inside the trunk lid which did not fix the problem but did cause a terrible sound to occur each time the latch is activated, either from inside the car or using the remote opener on the key. I had hoped that this noise would be eliminated after any liquid had evaporated. No such luck. The trunk still opens fine, but the latch still sticks sometimes in the open position and therefore does not latch. I have however subsequently discovered that a sharp blow to the trunk interior adjacent to the mechanism will pop the latch back into position to facilitate the latch engaging when shut. Any suggestions as to stopping the noise as well as the sticking latch?
For many years, I have used a product called ( Kendall ) door ease. This product is more like a hard wax, than a grease. It is a "Stainless Stick Lubricant", which is dry and comes in a 4" X 1" metal tube, and is sold in most automotive supply stores. It is intended to be used on any striker plate area, such as hood latches, door and trunk latches. It works extremely well to keep these latches lubricated and working properly. It prevents wear to the metal surfaces.. It will not stain, in the event it should come into contact with clothing. After applying this product, i wipe any excess off the surface involved. I apply it once a year as preventative maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
laurie b (08-29-2017)