Motor mount replacment... help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM
You underdig?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor mount replacment... help!

What up fellas? I just brought my CL-S into my mechanic because of some crazy vibration I was getting when accelerating. He said it was partly because of cupping in my tires but, mostly because of my front engine mount being broken. I then took it to my acura dealer and they said its very common on older 2nd gen CL-S's because of our monsterous torque.

Has anyone in here ever changed the front engine mount themselves? Is it easy? There is ish loads of clearance to it but, I bet its got some nasty bolt(s) holding it in place that superman couldn't even get off. I could save about $100 worth of labor if I did it myself but, want to make sure I can.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Curiously, the Helm shop manual for the 01 Acura shows the location of the two engine mounts and explains how to troubleshoot their control circuit (yes, our cars have an electrical vacuum-sensing "engine mount control system"), but I can't find instructions on how to actually change either of the mounts.

FWIW: My dealer charged me about $45 labor and $130 parts to replace the front mount. Shop rate is $75 / hr, so that 3/5ths of an hour.

It looks like just four bolts to the frame and one to the engine block. Torques could be critical, tho.

So...I wouldn't try it without accurate instructions or the help of someone who know what he's doing. --MFT
Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 PM
You underdig?

MikeT...
Thanks for the info. I noticed the same thing about the Helm manual. It doesn't say shiet.

I went for it anyway. It was a piece of cake. Your right about the 4 bolts on the frame and the 1 holding it to the arm that is attached to the engine but, I also loosened the arm because it made it much easier to take the mount out.

The whole thing took about an hour and a half mainly because it took forever to get 1 of the 4 bolts screwed our and back in. Very little clearance because its about 2 inches from the exhaust pipe.

I've very glad I did it. Shifting feels a lot smoother now and my engine hardly moves at WOT. The old mount was cracked and leaking some liquid. It needed to be done.

P.S. My Acura dealer charged $122 for the part and estimated $120 for labor.