Missfire all cyl, sputter, rough idle!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victorvu
did you check the spark plugs? even if you checked the coils the sparkplugs can still make it misfire. the airbag part might just be your seatbelt buckle. When this happened to me it said random misfire. misfire 1,2,3,4,5,6. I changed all 6 plugs and all 6 coils everything was back to normal. Did you ever check the Intake manifold gasket if you put that on upside down you also get random misfires.
Thanks civicdrivr and victorvu, and all have posted on related topic.

So far so good. I had one bad coil so i replaced that and i filled the tank with premium plus a bottle of seafoam. No misfires and no vibration even at 80mph. I drove it for 1 1/2 hours and did not detect any misfire. I guess tomorrow morning start up will be the final test.

Now to the seat belt. How do i go about fixing that. Here is the code.

CODE 01-1 POEN CIRCUIT IN DRIVER AIR BAG, WOULD NEED NEW HARNESS TO START.

Is the driver seatbelt part of the harness? How should i go about it?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,131 Likes on 4,802 Posts
Originally Posted by keep it rolling
i filled the tank with premium
You fill it with premium all the time, right?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
It's my kids car. I have read here that premium is the best way to go. i will pass that info on to him...maybe he was already...

Any response to the seat belt question?

If the SR light is on that doesn't necessarily mean the air bag doesn't work...right?

With the code listed what do u feel are the chances of it not working??

thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
...I just talked to him. He has never put anything in but premium.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks civicdrivr and victorvu, and all have posted on related topic.

So far so good. I had one bad coil so i replaced that and i filled the tank with premium plus a bottle of seafoam. No misfires and no vibration even at 80mph. I drove it for 1 1/2 hours and did not detect any misfire. I guess tomorrow morning start up will be the final test.

Now to the seat belt. How do i go about fixing that. Here is the code.

CODE 01-1 POEN CIRCUIT IN DRIVER AIR BAG, WOULD NEED NEW HARNESS TO START.

Is the driver seatbelt part of the harness? How should i go about it?

Thanks
In case someone is looking through the internet for the answer i will post it since no one else could add to it. The harness that is referred to is actually a cable reel. It could be referred by two other names SRS reel or clock spring. This same harness is also connected to the horn and cruise control. If those are not working then most likely this is the problem and why your SRS light is on. According to the parts guy there are a total of 4 harnesses that go to the SRS system.

I bought the cable reel for 71 bucks. The dealer wanted 875.00 to repair it. The instructions for replacing it are floating around the internet. I didn't go that route because the air bags have been an issue since we had the car and i was hoping that a professional look at it would finally solve it. I found a Honda dealer that would install the one i bought for 169.00

This car is now completely fixed thanks to all the forums on the internet where you can get a lot of information for every problem.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
...I just talked to him. He has never put anything in but premium.
I was getting worried for a bit. Car neeeds premium! Glad you figured out the issue. That missfire is such a pain to diagnose. Everyone says something different.

In case someone is looking through the internet for the answer i will post it since no one else could add to it. The harness that is referred to is actually a cable reel. It could be referred by two other names SRS reel or clock spring. This same harness is also connected to the horn and cruise control. If those are not working then most likely this is the problem and why your SRS light is on. According to the parts guy there are a total of 4 harnesses that go to the SRS system.

I bought the cable reel for 71 bucks. The dealer wanted 875.00 to repair it. The instructions for replacing it are floating around the internet. I didn't go that route because the air bags have been an issue since we had the car and i was hoping that a professional look at it would finally solve it. I found a Honda dealer that would install the one i bought for 169.00

This car is now completely fixed thanks to all the forums on the internet where you can get a lot of information for every problem.
Yeah the safety system can be tricky. If it was an SRS light, you can usually get it fixed for nothing by the dealer cause of the liftetime warranty on it. Had my light come on for a bad seatbelt sensor.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Cruisin'

Hello, im new to this site and i owned my CL-S for about only a month now and this has just started to happen to me a few days back. I been reading up the forums here and it has been helpful. I already tried the Seafoam method, fuel injector cleaner, resetting the ecu and replacing the spark plugs. My car still has this hesitation and i will be performing the bad coil check and also plan to clean out the egr and port. Hopefully someone can direct me the right direction on how to clean the egr and port. Also when checking out which coil is bad, do you just unplug the plug, or do you have to pull out the whole coil out the head. Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Type CL-S
Hello, im new to this site and i owned my CL-S for about only a month now and this has just started to happen to me a few days back. I been reading up the forums here and it has been helpful. I already tried the Seafoam method, fuel injector cleaner, resetting the ecu and replacing the spark plugs. My car still has this hesitation and i will be performing the bad coil check and also plan to clean out the egr and port. Hopefully someone can direct me the right direction on how to clean the egr and port. Also when checking out which coil is bad, do you just unplug the plug, or do you have to pull out the whole coil out the head. Thanks
Good luck fixing it! You are doing the right thing before spending a lot of money by reading all the posts you can find. I did the same thing and made a list of all the possibilities. Then started with the most logical and cheapest first.

To check your coils you need to have your car running. Then just unplug (don't pull it out) one coil at a time. You won't get shocked. You should hear a drop in engine performance when you unplug a good coil. If you unplug a bad coil there should be no noticeable change in the engine. I had one bad coil. They are very easy to replace.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

So i just checked out my coils and every one of them were still good. I hoping that it was a bad coil but now i am starting to lean towards a bad injector. Is there any way to check to see if an injector is still good or bad? how hard are they to be removed?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear

having misfire issues on sevral cylinder mechanic says its my pistons but from what i hear on this forum is that it could be my coils and spark plugs..my problem is i cant pass emissions in my state with it misfiring
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEAN clhero
having misfire issues on sevral cylinder mechanic says its my pistons but from what i hear on this forum is that it could be my coils and spark plugs..my problem is i cant pass emissions in my state with it misfiring
What does he say is wrong with your pistons?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Chamorro

Originally Posted by Type CL-S
So i just checked out my coils and every one of them were still good. I hoping that it was a bad coil but now i am starting to lean towards a bad injector. Is there any way to check to see if an injector is still good or bad? how hard are they to be removed?
If your throwing an engine code, get it scanned so you know which cylinder. A bad coil can also throw a code for multiple cylinder miss fire besides just the one that is bad. If its a coil issue, buy a new one and move it around the different cylinders and see if it changes (if you can't scan the system). A scanner can tell you what your injectors are putting out also, but those are really rare to go out. Do you have an engine code being thrown?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread.

I had the same symptoms as the OP. Bad idle, CEL with random multiple misfires. I replaced the spark plugs (OE w/157k miles) and it didnt improve. I then replaced the EGR valve, again no change.

I hoped it was just some bad fuel, but with a fresh top off and treatment for water in gas, it again had no change.

I performed the 'disconnect the coils' method and listened for the change in idle. It was VERY apparent when I dc'd a working coil, and then I got to the #6 coil and noticed zero change in idle when it was disconnected.....

I bought a new coil from Autozone for like $45, changed it in the parking lot and had them clear the codes. Its running exactly how it should be now and no codes have come back.

Its really annoying that the computer couldnt tell me exactly which coil was misfiring. I thought that was a big part of COP - independent spark output for each cylinder with more accurate monitoring of spark output. I had assumed it WASNT a bad coil, since it was saying they were ALL misfiring.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PeterJMedina
I finally figured this one out guys, check this thread before someone who doesn't know what they're doing gets you to spend money on repairs that aren't needed 2004 MDX problems - VTM-4/check engine - AcuraZine Community
I have replaced ALL of my coils.... It went away for a day or 2, now I'm back to the same issue.... Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Chamorro

Originally Posted by oswaldmase
I have replaced ALL of my coils.... It went away for a day or 2, now I'm back to the same issue.... Thoughts?
Where did you get the coils? I tried aftermarket through Advanced and Nappa and found the Nappa brand lasted the longest. Have you checked plugs etc?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Multiple misfire on all 6 cylinders 04 mdx

Ive been chasing this problem for 6 months. At first, I put gas treatment in. this seemed to work for a tank or 2, then misfire codes. Changed plugs, all ignition coils, intake gasket(still good)
and fuel pump. Still misfiring on all 6 separate cylinders. These website blogs aren't much help! Also, did valve adjustment, and cleaned egr. Same codes upon starting. I have 214,000mi on well maintained 3.5. I'm suspecting ECT sensor, and or injectors. After, replacing fuel pump, motor seemed to not be such a rough idle, but still having misfire codes. Runs and drives excellent. Just the initial start up for 5 seconds or so. Any real ideas appreciated. Can not be a crank sensor!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

I resolved a similar issue by drying out the coil area of #5 cylinder, after getting it wet hosing off the front of the engine.

It took me a while to figure this out, because the misfire didn't start right away, it started the next evening coming home from work and only occurred sometimes at idle while stopped. I immediately thought about the water, but then thought either it should have started misfiring right after I hosed it down or the water should have boiled off by the time the first misfire occurred, which was after a total of 30 minutes of driving between 50 and 70mph.

But a week later it was only getting worse and was now occurring, sometimes, at 2500 RPM and was worse when the engine was cold. I once lit up, when accelerating while cold, P1399, P0300, P0303, P0304, P0305 and P0306 all at once. After that happened I would warm up the engine before driving and would just get P1399, randomly, while idling in gear. I even checked one of the coils that got hosed, but it was dry.

The service manual pointed me to fuel pump, so I replaced it first. With 140k, it's good insurance.

So what that didn't work, I found this post, bought a coil and began replacing them one at a time. The #5 coil came out wet with water and indications of arcing. I wiped off the arcing residue and all the water I could and blew out the rest with compressed air, the engine was still warm and any left over moisture evaporated. I took out the new coil and fired up with the original set of coils, the misfire was gone.

I don't think there was enough arcing to permanently damage the coil that was in there, but we'll see. I still have the new one to trouble shoot with. Glad I didn't have to start checking injectors.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

My 2000 RL was also having this problem. I was getting a code for a misfire at cylender 1. I changed spark plugs, no help. I unplugged the coil and there was no change in engine running rough, so I assumed a bad coil. I then decided to switch coil 1 with coil 4 and reset the CEL. Well, voila. After switching coils it is running perfectly. So maybe just a bad connection, but unplugging and plugging it back in did not change anythng, only after switching them, and monkeying around with hte bad one a bit did the problem go away. Anyway, just wanted to share this info with others who may have this problem. It is easy and cheap to try a few different things with the coils before dropping $100 for a new one. I'll update if the problem rears its head again.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

03 acura tl-s

My tl started doing that random misfire as well I saw a YouTube video today and it the EGR port in the upper intake the gasket was put on backwards plus the ports was clogged now my tl is running like new and mind u I replaced everything from spark plugs to fuel injectors and all that I had to do was clean the EGR ports in the upper intake smh....
Old 05-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Ignition coils are so fragile that they should be replaced along with plugs at beyond 100k as part of normal preventive maintainance.