Just bought 2003 CLS - Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just bought 2003 CLS - Problems

Hi Everybody,

New member, just got my 2003 CLS 6sp/Navi delivered yesterday. 23.8K Certified. Got 3 Major problems as far as I can tell, any input will be appreciated. 1. The car pulls to the right, the front passenger tire was low I inflated it but it stil pulls to the right. The passenger fender has had minor repair done to it and the wheel is chewed up fairly good. Could a bent rim be causing this pull? 2. My parking brake does not seem to work, it lifts all the way up really easy and it barely holds the car. 3. The volume knob on the steering wheel does not function properly, both buttons turn the volume up only. Am I not using it right or...? I love the car, but I am a little disappointed that these problems were not taken care of during the 150 point inspection for certification. I wonder if the dealer actually did the 150 inspection, I know I didn't get a checklist. Again any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
you got a great rare car...like I did. True! the Acura certified 150 point inspection is a marketing joke. Take it back to the dealer untill all these things are fixed for free!
Good luck, any half reputable dealer will gladly fix these 'new' car problems. good luck, what color??

1- front may have other damage -have it checked!!
2- Parking brake, - commonly needs readjustment, should click only 4-8 times.
3- radio - not following the problem, the right knob is ONLY for settings - push in to choose setting, and then turn to adjust. left knob is for volume.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Dyslexia here,
the Left knob nearest you is for Volume by turning, on/off by pushing.
The right knob near passenger is for audio settings, Push to choose setting, turn to adjust settings.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
B8 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what he meant was that the volume/audio control that's on the steering wheel will only turn the volume up, regardless of pressing the down arrow (which should normally turn the volume down).

Balaban, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. There isn't a reson why both buttons would turn the volume up. About the parking brake, a few people have had this problem. Like 123... said, they just need to adjust the brake cable. Oh, and congratulations on the new ride. Hope everything gets fixed w/o a problem. I've had my 6sp navi CLS for about 3 weeks, and I LOVE this car.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for the input

Thanks guys, I love the car. I was talking with my friend who has a 2001 cl and he made a commend that the car has "timeless" design, the more I look at it the more I think he is right, I mean this car will still look good 5 - 10 years from now. As far as the volume I mean the volume control on the steering wheel, the up or down arrow both turn the volume up only. The dealership has not returned my phonecalls so far. It does not help that the dealer is in New Jersey and I am in Florida. I hope they will help me fix these problems since all of them would have been blatantly obvious during the 150 point inspection if one was done. Thanks again guys and I will keep you posted.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:20 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
damn dude. it sucks that your first posts are about having to fix stuff cos of irresponsible "inspections". hope everything is resolved soon and i welcome you to our forum.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:47 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

ANY Acura dealer should fix your car for free under the existing regular Acura warranty - 4 years 50k miles. certified warr adds 1 year to that.
You do not need to go back to the original Acura dealer for warranty repairs. Keep us posted, you should have plenty of dealers to pick from, find out which ones are best in your area.
What COLOR!?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies. I went to the local dealer this past Wedsnday (the day the car was delivered) and they told me that the alignment and the parking brake were not covered under the warranty they were more in the category of routine maintenance. I had not discovered the steering wheel audio control probem yet. I will pay for the alignment and the parking brake adjustment if I have to, but I feel the New Jersey dealer should re-imburse me. These are obvious problems that would have been evident on a test-drive. I am just worried if the problem is more serious and expensive then that. The car is black on black. Have great weekend everybody.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

If the dealer won't cover it, you can at least save a few bucks by doing the handbrake yourself...it's amazingly easy. There's a DIY if you search for it, but all you really have to do is take the carpet out of the deep compartment in your center console (behind the handbrake). You'll see a snap-off plastic cover. Pop it off with small screwdriver and you'll see where the two cables pass through for the handbrake. They meet at a adjuster that has a threaded nut to adjust tension. I didn't even have to use a wrench, I just tightened it by hand a few turns. I think the nut is 12mm if you have to wrench it. Mine went all the way up too; now it works perfect.

If that doesn't fix it totally, you'll have to check the adjusters in the back wheels. My CL had around 28000 on it when I checked both and the adjusters were fine.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

my parking brake doesnt do a thing either, on the slightest hill if the car isnt in gear, then its rolling somewhere. check the fixes for it, or just give it some time, once you chase your car down and jumping in before it hits the suburban parked on the other side of the lot to break, i can guarantee you'll never trust the parking brake again.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:10 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

My dealer adjusted my handbrake free under warranty. As far as the alignment, they may have you there. too bad you didn't notice it when you bought it. I'd try other dealers.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've had all 3 of those things looked at:

Pull to the right: dealer couldn't fix it....they said that all 6-speeds will have a slight pull for whatever reason. I've had an alignment done and still it pulls. Does that on both stock wheels and my 235/45-17s. I decided to just live with it.

Parking brake: dealer has tightened it like twice under warranty. They said I have to pay for it the other times. It works, but I gotta pull it all the way up.

Audio controls on steering wheel: had that fixed under warranty. The wires came loose and they just re-soldered them back on. Works perfect now.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Pulling to the right in acceleration could be torque steer, but otherwise, it is NOT normal. If you want to give me your VIN number in a PM I'll run it and see if it comes back with some kind of accident report. It can't be certified if it was involved in an accident, I don't think, and you may have a case.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Pulling to the right only when accelerating may be torque steer, as mentioned.

How do you know certified Acuras can not have been wrecked? Do you really believe that? I had a certifed Legend that probably had been wrecked, it showed on the Carfax, I think.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:35 PM
2003 CL-S 6sp

Originally Posted by balaban32
Hi Everybody,

New member, just got my 2003 CLS 6sp/Navi delivered yesterday. 23.8K Certified. Got 3 Major problems as far as I can tell, any input will be appreciated. 1. The car pulls to the right, the front passenger tire was low I inflated it but it stil pulls to the right. The passenger fender has had minor repair done to it and the wheel is chewed up fairly good. Could a bent rim be causing this pull? 2. My parking brake does not seem to work, it lifts all the way up really easy and it barely holds the car. 3. The volume knob on the steering wheel does not function properly, both buttons turn the volume up only. Am I not using it right or...? I love the car, but I am a little disappointed that these problems were not taken care of during the 150 point inspection for certification. I wonder if the dealer actually did the 150 inspection, I know I didn't get a checklist. Again any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Had the same issue with my emergency brake....put it on the list of things for the dealer to adjust when you return.

Regarding the pull, I don't think a low(er) flat tire will cause all that much pull...I'm thinking that someone test drove it after it was certified and took out a curb - could need an alignment, and it could explain the banged up tire.

Regarding the steering column volume control....def. covered, take it back.

I just make a list, and when there is enough things on it to drive me wild, it goes in. Free drop-off/pick up from work, coffee, and a bitchen hot chick who works customer service.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:34 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

I've only had to take mine in for repair once for a leaky headlight and squeaky sunroof.

also certified does NOT mean the car has not been wrecked. I had an Acura certified Legend coupe that I found out later had been wrecked and repainted. I don't think the damage was too bad and the car was pretty troublefree for me.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 AM
2003 CL-S 6sp

Squeek vs. Rattle (moonroofs or moonrufs, depending where u live:)

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I've only had to take mine in for repair once for a leaky headlight and squeaky sunroof.

also certified does NOT mean the car has not been wrecked. I had an Acura certified Legend coupe that I found out later had been wrecked and repainted. I don't think the damage was too bad and the car was pretty troublefree for me.

YEAH! That squeeky sunroof. Mine wasn't so much a squeek but rather a rattle, only when it was tilted open/up. Dealer said there was nothing wrong/couldn't hear it/etc. I've poked my head around up there, and nothing 'loose'. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

I think mine squeaked only when it was shut. they put tape around the rim and it fixed it.