Jolting while shifting into 3rd & 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jolting while shifting into 3rd & 4th gear

Hello!

I'm very happy to officially join the Acura community, as today I purchased a 2003 Acura CL Type S. It has definitely been driven, with 234,000 miles on it, but the engine seems very strong, but today I noticed a few issues I'd like to address.

Firstly, whenever I shift into 3rd and 4th gear, the car somewhat jolts, as if it is struggling to lock into gear - but it locks in fine. It doesn't sound like a typical transmission issue, no grinding, just a simple jolting. I was wondering if anybody had some tips on where to begin looking, outside of checking the ATF, which I will check in the morning. To my knowledge, the transmission has not been serviced, so obviously it could be a transmission issue. However, I think there is a possibility this could be fuel related, as I've found if I'm accelerating at higher rate, the jolting isn't as apparent, or doesn't happen at all. Fuel system related issues came to mind due to my second issue. My second issue is, on startup, the car will turn over fine, but will nearly die out for a second, rumble, then smooths itself out. It flashes "Maintenance Required" while doing this, but once it smooths out and idles as it should, the "Maintenance Required" light goes off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My plan for tomorrow is this: I plan to check the ATF, see if it smells and what color it shows, then I will be buying some SeaFoam to add to the gas tank to see if that smooths anything out. Once again, thank you very much!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Try running in D4 around town and see if there is any change. D4 prevents torque converter lockup which could be the culprit. On the highway above 60mph or so, use D5.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I went to an Acura dealer this morning, and turns out, I got swindled.

The engine has some severe issues, oil pump is leaking, there is a misfire to the intake manifold, it needs a new water pump, timing belt, and rear main seal. The front struts were installed improperly, and finally, for the main part:

Transmission mounts are bad, which seem to be causing the issue. Of course, now this is the least of my worries.

Thank you Iggy for the response.