J32A2 making a loud popping noise when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
J32A2 making a loud popping noise when shifting

Greetings, comrades. The name of the thread pretty much sums up my problem. I went out for a drive today, and I noticed that every time my car would get to redline when driving at wide open throttle - I can hear the exhaust backfiring during shifts. I've literally just reinstalled my K&N filter after cleaning and oiling it, and I think I might have overdone it with the oil a bit, which could be causing the problem. I reckon it's either the oil itself contaminating the air-fuel charge, or maybe it somehow killed my O2 sensor, either way it is a bit worrying. Has anyone else experienced this issue? What should I do, just wait until it goes away by itself (which hopefully won't lead to my motor exploding)? I'm inclined to visit a repair-shop tomorrow and read some codes (the CEL light is always on due to a missing second O2 sensor, so I wouldn't know if something new came up). Or maybe remove the spark plugs and give them a quick clean. How worried should I be about the problem? It only occurs during WOT shifts, otherwise the motor seems to work perfectly fine.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
^
In my humble opinion, the conservative approach would be to check the codes and see what your car is saying.

Then, if it is as you suspect, don't 'sweat it'.

However, if the thought still haunts you, then for 'grins and giggles' go ahead and do the spark plug cleaning. Maybe check the inside of your throttle body. If there is an excessive accumulation of K&N oil, give it a quick wipe and call it a day.

On another note, were you able to help your comrade from Belarus with his list of problems on his 'new to him' 01 CL-S 5-speed auto??

Just curious.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
On another note, were you able to help your comrade from Belarus with his list of problems on his 'new to him' 01 CL-S 5-speed auto??

Just curious.
Hey man! Somewhat, I mean, there aren't a lot of CL's in Russia either. But I was able to give at least some sort of advice, we do have a bunch of JDM Inspire/Sabers around here, mostly in Siberia and the Far East, so the Russian community knows how to solve certain problems. Parts aren't that big of a issue for these cars, but body panels and other things that are exclusive to the CL - well, those are hard to find.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by InspireJ32A
Parts aren't that big of a issue for these cars, but body panels and other things that are exclusive to the CL - well, those are hard to find.
Thanks for the response.
As soon as I read his thread, I knew you were, perhaps, the only one that could bring him 'up to speed' as to how to source what he needed over there.
That's good to hear that parts are available. At least he can get the rear wheel bearing/hub issue solved. No one needs their wheel seizing up when you least expect.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zeta
Thanks for the response.
As soon as I read his thread, I knew you were, perhaps, the only one that could bring him 'up to speed' as to how to source what he needed over there.
That's good to hear that parts are available. At least he can get the rear wheel bearing/hub issue solved. No one needs their wheel seizing up when you least expect.
Here's hoping he does ok)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Racer

It turned out to be a faulty coil. So problem solved)