Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Question

Does anyone run just a cone k&n air filter or any brand cone air filter on there stock intake? I can't seem to find any cones that would fit it? Would I have to just but a short ram intake kit?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a K&N. I removed the stock air filter lid and put the K&N in it's place. It fit perfect on the stock rubber intake hose, just like a short ram, but after a few months, I took it off. It sounded good.... for a month. It was too loud. I had a CAI but it was still too loud for my taste. Now I have the K&N cone filter clamped to the bottom of the stock air box and the stock filter removed. Looks completely stock and the filter was free.

All you need to do is measure the size of whatever you're connecting the filter to. K&N filters come in all sizes.

Input your dimensions. http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?ID=S0013

Last edited by RooEng; 05-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! What was the dimensions of your first K&N? I was thinking about taking the lid off the box and just dropping a cone inside the box and leaving off the lid. Is that what you were talking about?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I don't think you could do that with the OEM airbox. There would be nothing to connect the filter to. I also don't think there is enough space for a cone filter.

Now if you get a Comptech Icebox, you could run a K&N filter in it.

get a K&N replacement filter that fits the OEM airbox (rectangular filter).
Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I don't think you could do that with the OEM airbox. There would be nothing to connect the filter to. I also don't think there is enough space for a cone filter.

Now if you get a Comptech Icebox, you could run a K&N filter in it.

get a K&N replacement filter that fits the OEM airbox (rectangular filter).
I did it, maybe you can't for some reason, different airbox? That's why I suggested the OP measure it to see if something could work. So how does the air enter your OEM airbox?

There is a ton of space under the airbox.

First I removed #1 and put the filter on #6. Too loud.
Then I put #1 back onto #6 without the stock filter and attached the filter on the bottom of #9. It's been on for over 5 years.

I also didn't want to spend the money for an over priced CT icebox which is just a short ram with a plastic box around it.

I had the K&N cone filter sitting in my garage, don't know where it came from or what it was used for. It just happened to fit. So I used it.

Sorry I don't have the dimensions, I have to remove the air box to get access to it.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
So you took the resonator off and put the filter in it's place? you do know that the "stock" air entrance is behind the headlight right? You can see the hose/opening of the airbox there.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RooEng
I did it, maybe you can't for some reason, different airbox? That's why I suggested the OP measure it to see if something could work. So how does the air enter your OEM airbox?

There is a ton of space under the airbox.

First I removed #1 and put the filter on #6. Too loud.
Then I put #1 back onto #6 without the stock filter and attached the filter on the bottom of #9. It's been on for over 5 years.

I also didn't want to spend the money for an over priced CT icebox which is just a short ram with a plastic box around it.

I had the K&N cone filter sitting in my garage, don't know where it came from or what it was used for. It just happened to fit. So I used it.

Sorry I don't have the dimensions, I have to remove the air box to get access to it.

I want a setup where the cone filter is under where the airbox pulls in air, in the area behind the headlight. I believe the long ram setups work that way and the are pricey.

Looks to me like one can be fabricated for a lot less money. All that is needed are a couple of elbow pieces and one straight piece of plastic intake plumbing. Pull out the stock airbox and run the plumbing through with a K&N cone filter at the end.

The cone filter will pull cooler air from under the airbox area than it does inside the airbox.

The longer "ram" setup may hinder throttle response but the upside would be slightly more punch on the top end..