flooded rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts
flooded rear view mirror

Okay, I've got some issues with the super awsome auto dimming crap rear view mirror. Now it's not just darker, but it looks like it has beer in it and has variable magnification. (yes i am sober)

Anyways, I told the dealer about it, he said deal with it or get a new one, but it's not under warranty. I do have the extended 7year 100k miles warranty (not just the power train one).

My parents had something similar in one of their cars, and the dealer replaced their mirror when they brought it in for an oil change. (audi)

Maybe acura's spending too much $ fixing transmissions.....

let me know if any of you had that happen, and if you were able to get the dealer to replace it for free.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rear view miror replaced

I had sort of the same issue happen to me about 4 mos ago. I took it to Chevy Chase Acura,MD and they replaced it. My mirror would not completely dim. It would fog up. So you should get them to replace it. Good Luck!!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you better get that replaced before it leaks or explodes. it can f*** up stuff if it gets on. yeah its happened to some before
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you can replace it yourself, it's really not that hard. I replaced mine. I bought one off ebay from an mdx and switched them in about 15 min. The hardest part is getting the old one loose. I'd definitely search on ebay for a new mirror though. I think I paid somewhere around $60-80 shipped
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'll try to look on ebay, see if I find anything. But do you guys think this should be a warranty fix?

Oh, and Stealth CL, i switched my auto dimming off.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Need for Speed

It took me about 15 min as well. 4 screws. 2 inside the sunglass holder and 2 under neath the map lights. The mirror itself was a snap to remove. Just dont force it out. Remove that small black plate that faces the windshield and take the smallest, in length, medium head Phillips screwdriver and turn the screw counter clockwise to release some of that pressure if you can get to it and then gently tap it downwards to pop the mirror off the metal bracket.

I recommend buying it from the dealer. OEM is a little more but worth it.

Trust me on this one.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM
9th Gear

My 2001 CL mirror just leaked also. A friend of mine has a 2001 CL also and his leaked last year and the dealer installed a new one for free. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Need for Speed

Depending on the dealer... they just might do it for free.
I think its really up to the Service Advisor... if its worth it to his commission.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

This might be BS, but my service advisor said that he tried to get that replaced on a TL, but honda declined covering it... (smelled fishy)

But so far, the guy's been treating me really well. He gave me a big discount on my 75k miles service. He gave me a 20 or 25% discount on it which was nice it saved 300+ dollars.

That would have more than covered the mirror, he said that's a ~200dollar fix.

The main reason why i'd bother to get it fixed, is because I can't see squat at night with it. During the day it's not so bad.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Need for Speed

Honda will not work or even touch an Acura tagged vehicle.

bastards...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Call these guys and tell them the problem. They will send you a new mirror. You just need to return the old one.

http://www.magnadon.com/contactus.asp
Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pharmacist

bastards...
Sorry for the confusion.. This is an Acura Dealership (Crown Acura of Clearwater Fl) It's just the guy said that he got his claim thrown back when he submited it.

Also, NSXNEXT, have you got a mirror from them? Does it look like the factory one?

Thanks,
Old 08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Call these guys and tell them the problem. They will send you a new mirror. You just need to return the old one.

http://www.magnadon.com/contactus.asp
Just noticed mine flooded last night as well.

I noticed Magnadon has an array of mirrors on that website - which one do they send you as a replacement? Have you personally gotten a replacement from them?

Any Pics?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM
9th Gear

comped and installed me a new mirror for free

Just wanted to let you know my local dealership comped and installed me a new mirror for free. They have done some work on my car for me at the dealership though. I think this makes a difference. Although I never bring it there for the regular checkups i do those myself. You might tell your dealership that Acura of Baton Rouge does this. Also let them know you are aware of a high failure rate on these mirrors. Also the dealership had a number of them in stock. I would not think this would be a high demand item unless there was a problem.

THanks to everyone for their feed back on this issue.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djs 2001 cl
Just wanted to let you know my local dealership comped and installed me a new mirror for free. They have done some work on my car for me at the dealership though. I think this makes a difference. Although I never bring it there for the regular checkups i do those myself. You might tell your dealership that Acura of Baton Rouge does this. Also let them know you are aware of a high failure rate on these mirrors. Also the dealership had a number of them in stock. I would not think this would be a high demand item unless there was a problem.

THanks to everyone for their feed back on this issue.
Great, thanks for the input, I'll go over there this week maybe weekend. This is becoming more of an emergancy now, as I have noticed that the lower part of my mirror is starting to melt (the mirror is "OFF"). The dealership is where I bought the car, and they have done all the mechanical work on the vehicle. So I did spend a pretty penny there, the guy that usually takes care of me, recently has been hooking me up with 20% discounts, which is pretty nice.

Again, thanks for the input (and link to that mirror site, I might try that if Acura's being dense).
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Okay went to Acura, he gave me a number to call for the carries of the extended warranty on Acura cars. They said the mirror is NOT covered..

Bad news though is that it seems like my mirror is about to melt at the base. I must get it off this evening, I don't want all that nasty stuff to leak all over my center console.

-Phil
Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharmacist

bastards...

My Honda dealer told me that they could do basic stuff but any major work has to go to acura dealer down the street (i don't like them since they could not even help me with my power seat (basic how to use questions about memory ) without wanting to charge at least $108
Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Need for Speed

HHAHAHAHAHA... what jerks they are!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the 7 year 100,000 mile extended waranty and they repalced it ---no questions asked. The SA knew exactly what to preorder---new assy.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

ya i wasn't so lucky.. i got denied...

and now i took out the 4 screws around the map light, but can't get the @#%@#!$@# mirror off.. I don't see anywhere to use a screw driver after removing the back plate that faces the windshield... i just have a metal clip that i'm pushing up down left right and nothing.

I do have a mallet.. that should work. hope i don't scratch my tint too much when my windshield shatters
Old 09-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Need for Speed

Keep trying.. remember... the mirror slides downwards... not upwards.. so be careful or you will break the windsheild. It will come down.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

ya i finally got this Mo!$#@$@ down, what a pain in the neck. Plus, once it started losening up, it went out faster than I thought, so... it fell on my AVIC-D1's screen.. now i have a scratch on the display.. How cool is that!

But how does that thing stay up there? i totally don't get it. I mean I tried putting the old one up, man it wiggles and rattles, and if I slap it around a little it falls off on it's own. What the heck happened to the nut and bolt concept.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Just noticed mine flooded last night as well.

I noticed Magnadon has an array of mirrors on that website - which one do they send you as a replacement? Have you personally gotten a replacement from them?

Any Pics?
Were you able to get a replacement from them?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 AM
9th Gear

Talk to your dealer

Go talk to your dealer first. I seldom have work done at my dealership for two reasons. First they are a bit pricey, second I can do a lot of the work myself. But when my mirror flooded I went to the dealership and told the service manager that this is a common occurence that should not be that common. After our little talk he put me in a new mirror at no charge.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

anyways, to close this up, I got a new one put in at another dealership in Atlanta while I was visiting my parents. They wanted to charge me full labor, but I told them that the other mirror is off, the map light cover is removed, all is done basically just need the mirror and hook it up..

Anyways, I still didn't understand how the mirror was holding up there in the first place. I didn't see any "clips" or anything. Basically once it came off, I couldn't find a way to make it hold there again.

Nice to hear some of you got it done for free, too bad i didn't get that luck.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Instructor

hey if any of you guys can give me some pointers to taking mine off it would be greatly appreciated. I took both covers off the one in the front and the one in the back i see no screw to tighten or losen and am afraid if i pull down any harder their is a good chance i could break something. the only thing i see is a metal clip and wire that is behind the mirror other than that their are a couple of holes in the front and a silver peg in the center
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I know this post is way out of date but I found this company called MAGNA DONNELY. They make auto tint mirrors for many makes and models. (Acura being one of those makes) They will send you a free replacment mirror! You send your old mirror back to them with the label they include(free free free). It took me a total of 3 days from when I first contacted them until I was chillin with a brand new installed auto tint mirror in my 01 CL
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nick that's awsome, I'll keep that in mind for myself or friends and family if they have the same issue.

fenixxishot: Don't feel too bad I it took me atleast 30minutes to get it off. I scratched the Sh*t out of that metal bracket that holds it, and I never got a new one up, I ended up taking it to a dealership.

So, if someone else could post a "how to" that would be fantastic.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
6th Gear

any one dealt with this mirror issue in the recent past? MY 01-S has the flooded syndrome now. Thanks for any info, especially how to get that thing off! Joe
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Noobalicious

Stacy Svay

to me

Thank you for contacting us. Exchange pricing is as follows:
US Residents: $75 + S/H
Canada & Mexico residents: $150USD
Overseas residents: $175USD
We do require your defective mirror be returned to us once you have received a functioning mirror. A pre-paid return service label is provided for residents of US, Canada & Mexico only. Overseas customers will need to return the unit at their own expense. Failure to return your defective unit within 30 days will result in a non-refundable core charge of $200USD.
Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option.
The attached form will need to be completed in full and pictures of the following will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are in need of. If an order is sent and is incomplete we will make one email attempt to obtain information before it is discarded.
-Front and rear views of the mirror-the mirror must be removed from the windshield in order to obtain these photos.
-The plug, pins, and any wires
-The mounting bracket located on rear of the mirror.
Please make sure these photos are clear and in focus.
Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.

BMW OWNERS ONLY: If your mirror has a white sticker on the “neck”, and it contains a number that begins with a 7, all we need is a photo of that sticker in addition to the order form filled out to the best of your ability. If your mirror does not have this sticker, please remove your mirror and follow the above process.

You may include your credit card number on your order form or we will call you for this information when your mirror is ready to be shipped. Thank you
Thank you,
Sybesma’s Electronics
616-392-6911

Stacy Svay
Customer Service Rep.
Sybesma's Electronics
581 Ottawa Ave. Ste.100
Holland, MI 49423
1-800-456-4265

If anyone wants the order form, send me a PM and i will forward the email...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Noobalicious

Originally Posted by Nickman
I found this company called MAGNA DONNELY.

I was sent to the company that i posted above ^^^^
Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Add-dee
I was sent to the company that i posted above ^^^^
i am in the same boat.
mine(rear view mirror) exploded yesterday and i need to know if this is still being replaced by the dealer for free.
Or what to do ??
the dye is sort off corrosive melted the plastic and everything it landed on.

i am already out of warranty.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear

My rearview mirror 'exploded' as well.

It dripped onto the plastic silver/grey shifter cover plate. I'm sure the technical name is not 'shifter cover plate'. Anyone know where to get one and how to remove the cover plate?

thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
thats the company that makes the mirror. Its stamped on the back of the mirror too.

as for the shifter plate, you can get one from a local dealer, recycler or online dealer. You need to remove the black square surround and then carefully remove the shifter plate with a screwdriver.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
4th Gear

Mine is defective as well, it looks like half of the mirror is tinted, and the part that isn't tinted is all hazy. I'm going to talk to my service advisor at the dealership and see if she will replace it for free.