Straight Piped 03 CLS 6spd Build (Pics+Videos!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Straight Piped 03 CLS 6spd Build (Pics+Videos!)

So first off ill officially introduce myself. My names Adam and i live in Western Mass and work at Lia Honda in the parts dept. I just recently joined the Honda click first when I bought my 2005 CBR600RR last August and now this month bought this Black 2003 CL Type S 6 spd. Bought it for $7900 with 106,754 miles. Anyways one thing about me is I cant keep anything stock lol You can check out my bikes build thread im gonna put in my sig as proof My dad got me into the Porsche Club of America and I've done numerous Track Days and autocrosses in our Porsche 924S weekend race car so its important for me to have a sporty vehicle.

Anyways on the the fun stuff. First mod to my CLS was a new stereo. When I bought the car I got it with a CD jammed in the head unit so i decided to upgrade to a Double DIN Pioneer Touchscreen DVD Head Unit. I pulled my subwoofer setup out of my old Jeep and made it to fit in my CL. Came out good and sounds great. Took my about 9-10 hours to do the stereo including wiring the PITA Line Output Convertor for the Bose stock amp/speakers. And yes I am using a 2x4 to keep the subs from moving but i have speaker carpeting I just got to wrap it in. .

Pics since ive had the car:
PICKING THE CL UP IN NEW JERSEY:

MY TWO BABIES:

STEREO INSTALL:

NEW 15000K HID BULBS COMPARED TO STOCK!

I decided to drop my mufflers to see how my car would sound with the mufflers deleted and I actually like it. I had a local exhaust shop weld some straight 2" pipes to a flange with hangers for $150 bucks. I havent put tips on yet but Im in the process of finding some I really like. I like the sound of it even tho its a little bit raspy on decel/revving down but its not as bad as people made it sound. It sounds awesome way more so in person! See if you guys like it im gonna post some new videos from today from my friends GoPro.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice rides
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
Nice rides
THANKS! Still a work in progress tho!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
welcome! my second bike was an 03 cbr600rr, great bikes!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eneffex
welcome! my second bike was an 03 cbr600rr, great bikes!

NICE! Its also my 2nd bike! You on 600rr.net? And where u from in Mass?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Stock mid muffler,and cat ?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richardparker
Stock mid muffler,and cat ?
Everything is stock except rear mufflers deleted.Why u think it sounds like it doesnt have a stock mid and cat!?!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Right now your car sounds perfect.
Going hi flow cat and deleting the mid muffler after deleting the mufflers will make it sound to aggressive for a DD.
Delete the mufflers is where I started with the exhaust and it sounded good just doing that.

Underside pic of the exhaust ?

Last edited by richardparker; 04-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Right now your car sounds perfect.
THANKS!

Going hi flow cat and deleting the mid muffler after deleting the mufflers will make it sound to aggressive for a DD.
Delete the mufflers is where I started with the exhaust and it sounded good just doing that.

Underside pic of the exhaust ?
Absolutely agree the mid muffler and cat are just enough muffling to be able to straight pipe it back. I love the way it is right now. Heres some pics but keep in mind im gonna put nice weld on tips on it in a week or two.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you notice any difference performance wise deleting the mufflers? any gains or loss? Contemplating doing this myself. sound amazing btw.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
I like the progress.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by General_Enemy
Do you notice any difference performance wise deleting the mufflers? any gains or loss? Contemplating doing this myself. sound amazing btw.
Well i feel like it got a little more power but I also added my subs,amps,box and heavy gauge wires which prolly weigh a good 100+lbs. Also I gotta consider that I lost some weight removing the mufflers and the spare tire, i figure the car is like 50lbs heavier than before. Anyways its hard to tell...the sound is addicting tho, it just sounds straight up ANGRY!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Juice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The car has a nice angry growl to it.
take some clips with the camera inside cabin while you driving.
Just wanna know what you hear when ur driving
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CL Juice
The car has a nice angry growl to it.
take some clips with the camera inside cabin while you driving.
Just wanna know what you hear when ur driving
Heres a couple more videos.

My Friends Revving It and Kinda Bounces Off The Neutral Rev Limiter

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Plasti dipped rims

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in and show everyone my progress. Like I said before I want to black out my car but I didnt wanna spend the $ on some new wheels so I plasti dipped the stockers. I really like em! Plasti Dip def isnt perfect but for 25 bucks and a half day of work it was well worth it. All I need now is smoked tail lights, blacked out headlights, tints, and coilovers/springs. And im ordering my Magnaflow tips for the straight pipes this week.

CHECK IT:

'

Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like you took your center consol apart recently. I had a question for you reguarding your shifter plate. Mine recently came loose and when i go to push it back down it doesnt stay. I'm not sure why becauuse everything seems to be not broken but i just don't understand what holds its down. Any idea's
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
sIx SpEeD

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you need a drop bad, but it looks cool
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johndo18
Looks like you took your center consol apart recently. I had a question for you reguarding your shifter plate. Mine recently came loose and when i go to push it back down it doesnt stay. I'm not sure why becauuse everything seems to be not broken but i just don't understand what holds its down. Any idea's
Haha funny you ask because when I first got the car the shifter plate was loose and floppin around. I tried to look it up at work(i work at Honda) to get a new piece/see how it was put together but none of us could figure it out and the piece was like 200 bucks. I ended up rolling up some little pieces of duck tape and it actually worked perfectly. You cant even tell it was taped.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badeh2
you need a drop bad, but it looks cool
Yeah i know dont remind me...this thing rides as high as a 4x4 . Im deciding weather to drop 700 on coilovers or just put some springs on it for now with stock struts and just deal with the bouncy ride. I really dont think im gonna have the cash for coilovers in the near future.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraCLR600RR
Yeah i know dont remind me...this thing rides as high as a 4x4 . Im deciding weather to drop 700 on coilovers or just put some springs on it for now with stock struts and just deal with the bouncy ride. I really dont think im gonna have the cash for coilovers in the near future.
The spring situation is kind of annoying because they were made for the auto's, so the front sits noticeably higher than the back on 6 speeds. At least that's what the situation was with my eibachs, idk about the rest
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
The spring situation is kind of annoying because they were made for the auto's, so the front sits noticeably higher than the back on 6 speeds. At least that's what the situation was with my eibachs, idk about the rest
Yeah I dont wanna do springs, only if i have to. Good news tho I just found out that one of the guys that was at staggered 2012 in CT wants to sell his tein coilovers for 350 which is awesome! Ill prolly do that ASAP.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Dman $200for a piece of plastic thats crazy! Im going to use your advuce that actually sounds like it will work..Thanks man. BTW the car sounds pretty badass I actually thought it would sound too loud but when i played the video i must admit i like the sound more that some of the exhausts out there for the CL..keep up the good work
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Photochopped

I photoshopped my CL to see how it would look lowered on my stock blacked out rims. And btw got some nice (also expensive) flowmaster tips from summit racing. Heres a few pics for now.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE!
Got used set of Tein Basics for $320 bucks! They are set on the lowest they can go! No rubbing and I havent scrapped on much. I love em so far. I know I know i need some rims but money is tight after doing my timing belt and the coils...

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
shifting at 7k

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I got tein basics too, they're a decent entry-level coilover. so the rear goes lower than the front? that's pretty lame.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
looks good
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Hey everyone! Updating my CLS6 progress. I got bit by the Mod bug. So far I just been tweaking my coilovers because my axles were at too steep of an angle and were vibrating. So its not quite slammed anymore but still has a nice stance.

I love working at Honda...got my car detailed and kept it inside the shop to wait out the rain.

Anyways I bought an AEM CAI for $100 that was in kinda rough shape and ugly n scratched up blue color and repainted it Candy Apple Red to go with my 3.2 Vtec emblem. With my muffler delete and the CAI you think I got like 10 hp?

Oh and I just bought a Painted spoiler on eBay for 180 bucks! I just felt like the CL needs a spoiler I dunno why dont hate...lol

Next mod is window tint and blacked out reflector/reseal headlight housing. Then smoking the tailights.

Lemme know what u guys think so far!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 AM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
You're sitting pretty high , I don't see why the axels would vibrate bad .
My car sounds funny in reverse but idk ?
If blacked out is your thing, do it right . Personally I don't think it's the best idea with tan interior but I'll wait to see.
Besides that , pipes are cool
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikebikelife
You're sitting pretty high , I don't see why the axels would vibrate bad .
My car sounds funny in reverse but idk ?
If blacked out is your thing, do it right . Personally I don't think it's the best idea with tan interior but I'll wait to see.
Besides that , pipes are cool
I raised it back up 1 1/2 inch in the rear and 1 1/4 inch in the front. When I got the coilovers they were dropped as low as they could go. I noticed vibration so I checked my axles and one of them was junk so I just replaced both axles but the vibration was still there. So I bought Tein Coilover wrenches and raised it up and its fine now.

And what are u supposed to do with a black car with tan interior? Make the outside tan too? lol
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

I dunno, Silver ?
I have tan interior taffeta white paint .
Wish tan was never an option for interior .
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

More Update (PIC HEAVY)

So I was compulsive and Resealed/Blacked Out+Wet Sanded my headlight yesterday and today. Taking off the bumper/headlights was easy but putting it back on is a little harder. I broke a few clips in the process.

We stripped the lights of the HID ballast all bulbs and MOST of the metal on it. I left the metal headlight adjuster bolt and the metal HID bulb mount on and it was fine in the oven. I set my oven to 200 degrees and used a SLIGHTLY damp towel on a baking pan (you dont want too much moisture in the oven but u dont want anything to catch fire). I did the headlights one at a time and kept checking them every few minutes. U want them to be fairly hot to the touch.

The sealant will start to let go and you just need to pry the tabs and carefully pry the lens off.

We then cleaned everything and removed the orange reflector and painted the chrome blinker/running light reflectors. After that we cleaned everything again and made sure that no hair/dust/cleaning residue was in the housing or lens.

I used 2 Silica Packs per headlight to absorb any moisture that may build up in the lens in the future. I super glued then in the back of the main housing. I got them out of Vitamin/Supplement containers but you can get them from Beef Jerky or something as well. They look like this.

After that I put the back half and lens together lightly and warmed them up in the oven. Then we took them out and clamped them for about 15 minutes. Then after they were clamped I put them in the oven again to let the stock sealant get plyable again and seal better.

I HIGHLY suggest doing a Mother Headlight Restoration kit before doing the headlights. It helps to have clear lenses when you start...I made that mistake and had to do it after.

DONE!!! Hard work paid off I got my first compliment when I was taking these pics by some kid with a RSX lol

By thursday my spoiler should be on!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Good write up !
Okay so I'm still confused, why do they go in the oven , and why must they go back in the oven to be put back together ?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Good write up !
Okay so I'm still confused, why do they go in the oven , and why must they go back in the oven to be put back together ?
Basically the sealant that they use for the headlight lens becomes pliable/soft at around 200 degrees. This allows you to disassemble the light. You can also use a heat gun but its more time consuming i would think. I re-used the stock sealant from the headlight so I had to re-heat the light in order for it to seal correctly we it went back together.

Oh and I also just bought some NOKYA hyper orange bulbs for the blinker (1157A) and running light (194) because now they arent that bright cuz of the blacked out reflectors...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

You only left the headlight and high beam reflector chrome, and painted everything else right ? And must you take off the bumoer to get to the headlights ? I took it off to get to the fogs .
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Great work. Car looks good, I think I like a little more chrome on the lights though.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

You only left the headlight and high beam reflector chrome, and painted everything else right ? And must you take off the bumoer to get to the headlights ? I took it off to get to the fogs .
Yeah i had to take the bumper off but that was easy so whatever.

Originally Posted by kidduce
Great work. Car looks good, I think I like a little more chrome on the lights though.
Thanks... and personally I was gonna just remove the orange reflector and keep the chrome... but as I was cleaning the reflector with Windex it started rubbing the reflective coating off so i just went ahead a blacked it out lol