My new audio system installed...(Pics TONS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was waiting for the picture saying "all that wiring and the box didn't fit through the trunk opening"
Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
sub boxes produce good sound though...

anyway hertz has a really expensive line. i, myself am a noob in car audio, but know enough for now. i seen $1k components from hertz god damn
Thats how much my fronts cost...

Focals 165k2ps

or I should say retail for.

-Nick-
Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Props for the work, but that sub box needs to go. You did all that work & just ghettoed the sub box?
That's a ton of sound deadening! I surprised the panels were able to be put back on.
I'm not understanding you guys...how in any way is that a ghetto box? Are you guys all noobs to car audio or somethin'? Not trying to be rude but please explain what is ghetto about it? Because it's big?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Echo42987
I'm not understanding you guys...how in any way is that a ghetto box? Are you guys all noobs to car audio or somethin'? Not trying to be rude but please explain what is ghetto about it? Because it's big?
Yes its big and generic looking

You can easily make a custom box that is tuned for the same SQ that will look a lot better. Its not all about volume, port style and size has alot to do with it.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
I had 2 Hertz 10"s for a while in the CL. Its a great cheap alternative. I did however exhange them for one W6 and never looked back.
Hertz has an introductory line of subwoofers and high-end subwoofers, not really comparing apples to apples considering JL only produces 1 line of subs.

Originally Posted by Echo42987
I use to run audison amps but ive yet to get hertz! Though I know they are good! I really like the helix amp I'm running though unbeatable sq!
Hertz is good shit stuff. Great choices on equipment.

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Props for the work, but that sub box needs to go. You did all that work & just ghettoed the sub box?
That's a ton of sound deadening! I surprised the panels were able to be put back on.
Not sure why you're still convinced the box is "ghettoed"? He said the box was made to play the subwoofers at the certain range of frequency. If anything, that box was the most intricate component of his system. Just because in your eyes it's not aesthetically pleasing, doesn't by any means justify it's "ghettoed".

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
anyway hertz has a really expensive line. i, myself am a noob in car audio, but know enough for now. i seen $1k components from hertz god damn
Plenty of companies like Scanspeak, AlpineF#1, Seas Audio, Dynaudio, DLS all have products and components that are > $1K. With the combination of matching them up with their appropriate silk/dome tweeters, ribbons, etc, a set of components can easily be more than $1K.

For all the audio noobs, search AcuraCL1, he probably has the best selection of Audio Equipment on a CL. Sponsored by Ronjon (I think), but more importantly, Sinfoni, and other bling audio.

Great job with the set up OP.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
B A N N E D

Damn you doing it real big playboy... Thats a lot of weight and with 93 octane prices sky high it might be alittle to much......
Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Instructor

what is a custom box then to ya'll? My box is almost how ALL subwoofer boxes are made. I'm not gonna fiberglass somethin' up and spend 20+ extra hours to do that when I can make a awesome sounding box in 1.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A custom box would be of the same materials essentially but constructed to the recommended dimensions for a particular sub. Imagine a box that is 8 inches in depth with one of your subs, then imagine one with 28 inches of depth - it would clearly sound like trash. Obviously extreme examples but the point is that to make a sub sound optimal, the box that it is in should be made specifically for that sub. Every sub has different dimensions for exactly what you are looking for, whether it be lower lows, or higher "highs" (40-120 hertz) can be achieved by making the box different. Any sub will come with specifications or dimensions of an ideal box, whether it is ported or sealed (go sealed for tight and clean bass).
Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear

question... how did you do with the UR pulley and headers.. i have a set and was gonna sell em but now that im seeing ppl using them, im a little hesitant...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey you added a fat chick in your trunk!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Racer

great use of the dynamat, I take it you ran all new wiring for the door speakers...box is def big, but i'm sure it drops LOW...just my two cents but the ground that was for the old cap I hope your not using for the new battery/cap bc it looked a little crappy, not tied directly to the frame which would be better or a ground from the battery up front that would be best...nice head unit, nice plates for the rears, question though have you thought about making baffles/cups for those rear speakers so that the pressure of the subs doesn't through the 6.5 coil out of place or just destroy them completely, i've always tried to use the 6x9 rear baffles when doining truck box's bc of the high chances of distortion
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Racer

and for whomever said JL had one line of subs, have you actually looked on their website?? i'm pretty sure they have a nice broad range of applications and pricing...w3, w6, w7 come to mind for me, i'm sure thats three right there...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbertozzi
question... how did you do with the UR pulley and headers.. i have a set and was gonna sell em but now that im seeing ppl using them, im a little hesitant...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HosTL Moderation
A custom box would be of the same materials essentially but constructed to the recommended dimensions for a particular sub. Imagine a box that is 8 inches in depth with one of your subs, then imagine one with 28 inches of depth - it would clearly sound like trash. Obviously extreme examples but the point is that to make a sub sound optimal, the box that it is in should be made specifically for that sub. Every sub has different dimensions for exactly what you are looking for, whether it be lower lows, or higher "highs" (40-120 hertz) can be achieved by making the box different. Any sub will come with specifications or dimensions of an ideal box, whether it is ported or sealed (go sealed for tight and clean bass).
Dude I know this! Thats what my box is. I'm a car audio guru! And i didn't want sealed I wanted ported and I still get tight clean bass because of the proper tuning. It's not a PREFAB!!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced

holy shit nice work. my car's been gutted for over a month since I don't have time to finish things up.

Few Qs:

1. Any shots of where you mounted the tweets? Sail panel or A pillar?
2. Did you seal the access panel of your doors?
3. Mounting depth on your fronts? My baffles are 1.25" thick and they barely fit. My mids are 3.25" deep though..
4. How's the imaging with your rear tweets firing into the windshield? IIRC the stock system highpasses or boosts the rear 6x9s

Oh, and BTW.. nice job on the box. +1 for 30hz ported

Doug