Finally, pics of my CL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:32 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally, pics of my CL!

Thanks to Chaptorial, I got some pics of my car posted.

The first 5 pictures were taken about a month ago after a good polish and wax using One Grand polish and Blitz.

As you can see, I got a steep driveway. It's heated so no problems in the snow-

Top left on dash is a Uniden BCT12 Beartracker (police scanner) w/ highway patrol alert, above the speedo is a Bel remote radar detector (radar sensor in lower front spoiler, laser sensors suctioned to f/r windscreens), andy next to radio XM Delphi Skyfi.

Philips Ultinon D2r bulbs.

Front w/ bra and newly installed Hella Micro DE fogs. I bolted the mount bracket to the bumper cover. It was shaking so bad I got a zinc nut from Home Depot, and screwed a self-tapping screw to hold the bracket secure to the bumper, it's not going anywhere-

Closeup of Micro DE fog-

De-badged rear, and newly installed rear foglight. Driving back and forth from Philadelphia in the rain today (10-27-03) gave me my first chance to use the rear fogs, and I think they worked great in the low vis spray and rain-

Off

On

I'm considering some Comptech Springs, and eventually headers. It's been great checking out all your cars on this web-

Cheers,
-Grey
Old 10-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks nice. The debadged trunk looks great. You're on the right track, comptech springs and headers should definitely be at the top of your list.

But how much driving backwards in fog do you do that you need a fog light in the rear?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:26 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Rear fogs have their place --- when it's FOGGY!!! It's one of the best ways to alert somebody behind you that you exist. But have you ever driven behind some *(&%# in the rain who has a rear fog light on, especially at night? Try it some time and see if you still think it's a good idea.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:58 PM
DC Cruiser

Danny, I can't wait to get some Comptech springs. Do you think at that time I should get sways?? Will sway bars be a dramatic improvement over the stock sways, or should I get springs and feel the need? Haha, driving backwards in fog, I race reverse in parking lots, 0-23 mph in 5 seconds flat!! LOL....

Y2k3,

When it's REALLY raining, and your 5 watt rear taillamps are hardly visible, rear fogs help. Even when there is no fog but vis is reduced cuz of rain, they help drivers behind see you. For most of Europe, I recall when visibility to rear tailamps is reduced to 1/4 their power, rear foglights are recommended.

At night, usually rear fogs aren't necessary even in the heaviest of rain cuz the 5 watt lights are usually adequate and can be seen in contrast with the dark surroundings. In the day, 5 watt tailamps are more difficult to be seen and a light the intensity of a brake light can be helpful given the circumstance (21 watt, 4x brighter than tailamps if vis is reduced by 1/4).

Just because it's raining doesn't mean it's a good idea to have the rear fogs burning, it can do more harm than good (blinding and PO other drivers)-

But today, it certainly made me feel more secure driving at 75mph in very heavy spray and mist from my car and mist from tractor trailors-

Oh, and it's really good in heavy snow aswell!! And to piss off those people who drive w/ their rear fogs lit on clear nights, I just cut them off then shine those badboys (some Audi, MB, and Jag owners don't understand)!!

I installed these lights about 3-4 weeks ago, and to give you an idea of how often I use them, today was the FIRST time, but well worth the $30 lamp + $3 switch, IMO. In my Land Rover, 98% of use was on highways w/ speed of 45 mph or more, with heavy water spray, snow spray, or just flat out thick fog (<20 mph).

I'm thrilled to have this car!! After my Land Rover which I had from when I turned 16 (1996) until last November, 2002, I put 115,000 miles, and incurred $1000s of expenses (had 100k $0 deduct. warranty to take care of about $24,000 of work). Some stupid stuff like replace dual sunroof because or rattle ($4000), or unfogging rear A/C window ($500 per instance).

Do you think Comptech Springs can last 200,000 miles?? What are your thoughts on installing springs or any mod like headers if I plan on high mileage? At this rate, I'll be hitting 200,000 easily in 9 years-
Old 10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Audi S4 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greyjhu,
First off, the car looks great Love the color, infact I have one myself!

I trust comptech's products more than any other product, they are expensive but they are quality. I would assume that Comptech springs would last just as long if not longer than a set of stock springs.

As far as the sways go, I would suggest doing things in this order and I'll explain why: Springs, shocks, tires, sways. The CT springs were a great mod .. reduced brake dive, acceleration lift in the front end, reduced body roll, and most importantly improved the overall look and stance of the car. You will not get the full effect if you leave the stock shocks in, however you can if you want .. but for 299$ a set from www.shox.com I got a set of Tokico Blue HP shocks, and Park Ave Acura threw them on for free when they did my springs since they have to remove the stock shocks to do the job anyway. The Tokico's aren't top of the line, but I'm very happy with them. Definetly an improvement in handling over stock. I would never change it. First thing I noticed with the springs and shocks was the improved handling and cornering, second thing I noticed was how CRAPPY the stock tires are. They can't keep up with the great suspension, I only had my springs for 3 hours before I slid out and did a 180 getting off the Parkway .. scrared the crap outta me. The best thing you'll benefit from is some sticky 235 tires .. that will be my next mod. Then get the sways, so this way you can stick to the road while your enjoying that great suspension. Sorry for the long post, I hope I helped!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:53 PM
DC Cruiser

Nah Blader, that was a good post. Thanks for the input!

Your comments sound reasonable. I can't wait for 1/4 tread left, and I'm going to spring for some 235 tires. I think your right, money may be better spent on shocks and tires!!

I don't know how much $ it is to install new shocks, but it may be a good investment to do that at the same time I do the springs. W/ 26,000 miles, my shocks may be 1/3 done, hmm...

$300 a set for shocks, what options are available? Any of you install Comptech Springs w/o installing new shocks, and what do you think?? If Tokico Blue HP aren't top of the line, how much better are "top of the line" shocks? Remember, I had a Land Rover for 7 years, and only had 3 real options for replacement shocks-

Thanks for your input. If it looks like replacing shocks along w/ comptech springs is a good idea, maybe I should wait a few (or several) months to get some $ together to do both at the same time. All comments are appreciated!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Audi S4 driver

Well just to give you an idea, the shocks go INSIDE the springs. I could scan some pictures Jens took for me at Park Ave when they did my install. So to do springs, then later down the road do shocks they would have to pull all the springs back out (as far as I know) to do the shocks. With 26,000 miles on yours its probably a good idea to replace them. LoL I did my shocks&springs at 8000mi.

As far as options, go to www.shox.com put in 03 CL and they have most all brands for sale there. To give you an idea of top of the line, the upgraded Tokico's are Illuminas and are 5 way adjustable .. a little stiffer of a ride. But the cream of the crop of shocks would be Koni Yellows, adjustable being best and the non adjustable ones being second best. For a set of Koni Yellow Adjustables, you can get them for 580 shipped from Dean on this board .. he sells them (along with the great prices he can get you on Comptech accessories)
Old 10-27-2003, 07:08 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

nice what wax?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:17 PM
DC Cruiser

Used 3M adhesive remover to remove bugs/tar from paint to prep, then one coat of One Grand Polish, and then One Grand Blitz wax. FYI, Synthetic clothes RULE for removing polish and wax from paint, they make the job so much easier and do the job 10x better and in 1/5 the time compared to terry towels (I had to ad this for those who don't have synthetic/microfiber buffing clothes!!!)
Old 10-27-2003, 07:21 PM
DC Cruiser

Thanks pimpcls, I think the shine looks nice. I can't wait to try some of my friends Zaino to see how it applies and shines!!

One Grand polish and wax went on SO easy, and w/ sythetic buffing clothes waxing has never been easier. I've done up some of my friends show cars (like his 47 Cadi Convert.) w/ this wax, and have gotten great results. I'm always interested in trying new car treatments, you should see my stash of car #$%t at my house, lol-
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, i want navi...
Old 10-27-2003, 08:39 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

is this 3m adheisve like the same as usin dawn soap, which removes the oils and shit from the paint
Old 10-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car looks great man!

Old 10-28-2003, 09:10 AM
DC Cruiser

Pimp, 3M adhesive remover is a petroleum based product. It without a doubt removes oils and shit from the paint, but is FANTASTIC in removing tar and bugs. It desolves TAR in no time, and makes tar removal a breeze. You should get some, it comes in a spray can, or a screw-on top container. I got he container, and dob a terry cloth in it and wipe that bizz on the lower door to get off the tar-

Keith, Thanks! After seeing everyone's CL on this web, it's cool seeing my car posted-
Old 10-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Racer

Looks Good
Old 10-28-2003, 03:03 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

oh alright i might is it expensive cheaper then a clay bar is kinda the same?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:08 PM
DC Cruiser

Sorry, pimp, restate your questions-
Old 10-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

how do you like the scanner? I tried to look up stuff about it online but i found little. How well does the Highway Patrol Alert work?
Old 10-29-2003, 04:23 AM
Drifting

looks good thats my favorite acura color my new tl is ant. as well.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:00 AM
DC Cruiser

Rpechler, the Highway Patrol (HP) alert works pretty well. It doesn't pick up all state troopers, but does work 1/3 to 1/2 the time. It reads a signal strength from 1 (3 miles) to 9 (within a block). I find it useful, and have had it in my car for the past 7 years. I also like it because it gives me weather alerts, like severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings. It's pretty cool.

And when it was all crazy on Sept. 11, it was interesting hearing the talk of police and fire while running around town-

Vinarnold, haha, it's my favorite color aswell! Of course, everybody's favorite color is their own car color, but be that my name is Grey, it uber appropriate (realized the color was my name after purchase, hmmm).
Old 10-29-2003, 08:01 AM
DC Cruiser

Oh, and I have APC Titan amber rear turn signals, they are coated silver, and produce an amber indicator with no loss of light output. There is no "yoke" affect in the rear indicators that's caused by straight amber bulbs-
Old 01-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
A heated driveway...now that's cool...lived outside of Boston for a number of years....did not know they had those...does the surface crack more easily with the temp swings and is it automatic?...asking because my wife does not want a steep drive because of ice...
Thanks for sharing the pics and info...the navi screen is bright as hell in the pic..clear too...I always loved grey cars until I was taken over by the dark side...
Old 01-12-2004, 01:39 AM
hail to the victors

looks nice!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:45 PM
DC Cruiser

Dark,
The driveway heats up gradually. There is a sensor in the driveway, detecting moisture, temperature, or freezing precipitation if the ambient temperature is above freezing. If we know it's going to snow in advance, we'll throw the system on so that it is already warm before the precipitation, so it just melts instead of accumulating. A seperate boiler heats up antifreeze and circulates the liquid through several thousand feet of special, flexible piping. It is designed not to crack the cement. This technology was first used in Europe to heat walkways, and the piping is gauranteed not to crack for 100 years!! My grandfather in the 60s installed a winch on the side of the house to pull cars up the driveway, but we haven't used it in 15 years since we had the driveway re-done.

I love my car, I'll post more pics once my car is dropped on Comptech Springs later this week!

-Grey
Old 01-14-2004, 06:34 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by greyjhu
Rpechler, the Highway Patrol (HP) alert works pretty well. It doesn't pick up all state troopers, but does work 1/3 to 1/2 the time. It reads a signal strength from 1 (3 miles) to 9 (within a block). I find it useful, and have had it in my car for the past 7 years. I also like it because it gives me weather alerts, like severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado warnings. It's pretty cool.

And when it was all crazy on Sept. 11, it was interesting hearing the talk of police and fire while running around town-
You might check and see if Uniden will reprogram the freq on that unit. I know it's at least changed around here since that unit was released. Glad to hear it works well, it's what I've heard from the other people I've spoken to that have one (or a similar unit with the HP Alert). I've got one of these coming:

It is basically a nice trunk-tracking scanner that has the HP Alert built in. Best of both worlds.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:39 PM
DC Cruiser

That's a nice scanner! It's capabilities are much greater and better than mine. That's a good idea, contacting Uniden to see if they can reprogam the frequencies. I'll call them tomorrow-
Old 01-15-2004, 12:44 AM
///M POWER

klean
Old 01-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Grey, thanks so much for the info...maybe now my wife won't mind getting a house on a hill here in Texas.
Your cl is about to be so hot sitting low on those springs Man!!