You're Being Pulled Over!! Now What Are You Going To Do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're Being Pulled Over!! Now What Are You Going To Do??

We've all been pulled over at one time or another. Almost always, the traffic enforcement officer has the upperhand; from intimidation, sirens, the sunglasses, and the gun. Then there's you - the person inside the car. What do YOU have? Fortunately, you have your rights on your side! But, how good are your rights if you don't know them?

Well I come with some inside information! I have family members who are in the law enforcement agencies and some who are lawyers. Over the years, I've picked up good advice that for me, has worked. I've been pulled over 4 different times and up to date - have never gotten a single ticket. I'd like to think the following information helped. And please, feel free to add your own advice/ stories/ experiences/ or comments if you disagree with what I've posted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact #1: Traffic enforcement officers are trained to make up their mind about whether or not they "WANT" to give you a ticket before they leave their car. The only question is, CAN THEY? The way you should look at this, if they have the evidence on you, they will give you a ticket regardless, or if they don't, they're fishing for evidence - mainly, by using the high pressure situation that they've come to be comfortable with and you've come to fear, to get you to incriminate yourself! Read on to learn how to avoid this.

Fact #2: Excuses do not work 95% of the times. Unless it's real (you've got a pregnant lady in the back seat about to give birth/ someone bleeding to death) - your excuse will most likely backfire and you will lose your credibility (not that this matters).

Fact #3: Many traffic enforcement agencies place quota-like system for their officers. Also, the more ticket or arrests an officer has on his or her "jacket," the better it looks on their resume when they apply for high paying positions or are considered to be promoted. This means they're motivated.

YOUR RIGHTS:

Right #1:
Your right to not be forced to testify/make statements that would incriminate yourself (5th Amendment).

Remember that there are no right answers to any traffic stops, except one type! Here are some common questions:

-Do you know how fast you were going?
-Do you know why I pulled you over?
-Are you aware of the speed limit in this area?

Right #2: Your right to be protected from searches & seizures without "due cause" (4th Amendment).

Officers often use compound questions to trick you into giving consent to a search of your car and your belongings. While you try to answer one part of the question, the officer takes your answer and applies it to the other part of the question. An example is:

-Sir you weren't doing anything wrong were you? So you wouldn't mind if I looked inside your vehicle?

WHAT TO DO:

DO #1: Shut the fuck up (as much as possible)! Don't ever elaborate on the question being asked!

DO #2: NEVER REALLY ANSWER THE TRICK QUESTIONS! ONLY ANSWER THEM WITH YOUR OWN QUESTIONS, ALWAYS. THIS IS THE ONLY RIGHT ANSWER/ACTION to any traffic stop questions. It is best to answer their question with a question that does not answer their original question at all! Example:

-Question: Do you know why I pulled you over?
- YOUR ANSWER: Officer, why did you pull me over?

-Question: Do you know how fast you were going?
- YOUR ANSWER: Officer, I know exactly how fast I was going. How can I help you today?

-Question: Do you know the speed limit in this area?
-YOUR ANSWER: Officer, I know the speed limit in this area. How can I help you today?

-If they ask you other questions or ask you to elaborate on your answer:
-YOUR ANSWER: Officer, am I free to go or are you charging me with something?

DO #3: NEVER CONSENT TO ANY SEARCHES! EVER! Learn these following phrases and say these without ever stuttering when asked if an officer can look inside your vehicle! REMEMBER - THEY HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE, ONLY YOU DO!

-OFFICER: Now you weren't doing anything wrong were you? So then you wouldn't mind if I looked inside your vehicle?
-YOUR ANSWER: Officer, I don't consent to any searches. How can I help you today?

DO #4:
COMPLY TO ORDERS, BUT NEVER ANSWER THE QUESTIONS! If an officer tells you to get out of the car, you do it. If he tells you to spread your legs, you do it. If he tells you to keep your hands on the wheel, you do it. HOWEVER, never answer any questions except with the answers above!

WHAT NOT TO DO:

DON'T #1: DON'T EVER LEAVE BACKPACKS/SUIT CASES/ OR ANY CONSPICIOUS OBJECTS LYING ON THE SEATS OR IN PLAIN VIEW. This is because if an officer sees suspicious bags or items on the seats, they officially have legal "cause" to search your car. INSTEAD, ALWAYS KEEP YOUR BELONGINGS IN THE TRUNK OR GLOVE DEPARTMENT - WHERE THEY MUST HAVE YOUR PERMISSION TO SEARCH, BECAUSE IT IS OUT OF "PLAIN SIGHT."

DON'T #2: DON'T EVER BE SARCASTIC. They know the game and they know if you know how to play the game. Using the information above is playing the game and they will most likely not trouble you if they know you know the right responses. However, if you are being a jackass or a smart ass, they are more likely to be personally motivated by their ego to find more faults.

DON'T #3: DON'T EVER GIVE AN UNSURE RESPONSE: Your response should be concise, exact, and at the same time, never really answer the answer they want you to answer! Examples:

QUESTION: Do you know how fast you were going? ------ Saying no makes you ignorant, saying "I don't know" makes you unsure, so....

YOUR RESPONSE: I know exactly how fast I was going, officer. How can I help you today? ------- you never actually answer how fast you "know" you were going. Even if asked again, you will only repeat the questions, never giving answers.

DON'T #4:
NEVER LIE. If you answer and that is found to be false, you will only further your troubles. Instead of lying, your options are 1) silence 2) asking a question 3) shut the fuck up !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Oh, and keep in mind, the short guide is only meant to help to make sure you don't further incriminate yourself and to protect you. If you did the crime and they have evidence, boy oh boy will you do the time.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
are u talking from real experience or is this a copy/paste from some where
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
copy and paste. read it already.. =P
Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Advance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could of read this thread earlier.. got pulled over yesterday evening and he asked me to pop my hood.. I complied and now I have a state ref for not having carb numbers on my headers/intake..... ahh that piece of shit sure did fuck me....
Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
3.2L Vtec

wow.... the officer might think i am a sarcastic ass with those answers
Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by gc86
I wish I could of read this thread earlier.. got pulled over yesterday evening and he asked me to pop my hood.. I complied and now I have a state ref for not having carb numbers on my headers/intake..... ahh that piece of shit sure did fuck me....
he got you on those XS headers huh?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Instructor

I wouldn't expect a cop to tell me to pop my hood, I drive an entry level luxury coupe, not some riced out civic.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
What if they asked you: ok, since you know how fast you were going, how fast were you going?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hang on the excuse "officer i really have to shit and i was just in a hurry to get to my toilet"
Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Instructor

It took me 20 minutes to type everything.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Instructor

A lot from real life exp - others from good sound sources. I didn't copy paste nothing - just thought you guys could benefit from some of the things said there. I thought you guys might be able to add your own tips to it also, not just flame and bash.

Happy holidays.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Instructor

Just trying to help guys ... don't hate. The stuff i typed works. I do my research. I'm a pre-law major too - so it's my business to know.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by loulinjai
What if they asked you: ok, since you know how fast you were going, how fast were you going?
Just repeat your question ... officer are you charging me with anything or am i free to go?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Advanced

bahahahahahahaha

so true
+1000
Old 12-21-2007, 05:04 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Doesn't matter, we as idiot citizens gave them to much power as is through our legisative process and they can basically do what they want as they please.

In teh vehicle code everything is pretty much up to their discretion, its unlawful to say no to a search, they can pretty much use any reason for it too. I I remember correctly they can hold you up to 72 hours unless thats changed recently. Really we're ass fucked when it comes down to this stuff. Only way is to contest the laws, lobby etc.

We have let too many old people out vote us on something that may be in their interest but in our interest and the majrity of people it is not.

Example I got a ref ticket for my exhaust and smog, details:
PCV lines disconnect and exhaust ticket was the unusual noise one so 27150a and not b
Thats entirely up to their discretion which is BS since that gives them way too much power and the potential abuse is so obvious that its not even considered by many of as as potential but existing abuse.

So I basically asked for an arraingment, so im going to walk in early, get the judge to supena the officer so I can get rid of the ticket since only a few lines were disconnected because of the oil in the IM issue so really im benefiting the environment and have no problem arguing such a point of view. The exhaust has no rasp or weird sound and it pretty quiet, being that it has a stock Accord cat and stock piping size.

So im trying to aviod paying a $10 fix it ticket and a $38 ref ticket since I don't feel like I need to do so at all.

Hopefully my insight helped out a bit, sadly in this country were taught to fear cops and im always trying to counter that in myself and be open ask them for help etc, make both sides feel better, but its a tough hurdle to get over.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
too much to read, Maybe I'll read it later.

This should be in cartalk
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Ok, now for some real-world advice. Good friends with a Jersey State Trooper and the bottom line is be honest with the officer and in most cases they will cut you a break.

Sorry but your answers make you come across as being a wise-ass. I showed this to my buddy and he said without question he would write you up.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Ok, now for some real-world advice. Good friends with a Jersey State Trooper and the bottom line is be honest with the officer and in most cases they will cut you a break.

Sorry but your answers make you come across as being a wise-ass. I showed this to my buddy and he said without question he would write you up.
i agree. i have been pulled over prob 10+ times for random things. just being nice and honest has gotten me out of the tickets about 75% of the time. im good with those odds.

i do agree that a cop sometimes has a general idea whether or not he will cite you before he even comes to your window.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Nutshell
i hang on the excuse "officer i really have to shit and i was just in a hurry to get to my toilet"

i tried that ... unfortunately didn't work
Old 12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
140,000 miles young

I agree we give cops way to much power where they don't need it. Example on the exhaust noise issue - unless the cop has a decibel meter and can measure how loud that exhaust is, he should not be allowed to write a ticket. what ever happened to reasonable doubt?

In all of my instances of getting pulled over I have found that being cordial and respectful, even when the officer is really pissing me off or getting a huge high out of pulling me over, has been the easiest way to avoid a ticket and drive away with a warning.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Doesn't matter, we as idiot citizens gave them to much power as is through our legisative process and they can basically do what they want as they please.

In teh vehicle code everything is pretty much up to their discretion, its unlawful to say no to a search, they can pretty much use any reason for it too.
I do agree with you - cops do have a lot of power, but sometimes for good reasons, I think. However, I should note, it is not illegal to say no to a search. In fact, it's your right to say no to illegal searches.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Instructor

I know some of you are mentioning the tactics might seem like a wise-ass move and that being honest works better. Maybe you're right.

However, think of a criminal prosecution for any other sense besides traffic tickets. You're always advised to never speak, never consent to searches, and never cooperate without an attorney present. The whole point of what I wrote was to not get yourself into further trouble by admiting the wrong thing or incriminating yourself further.

For example, if an officer asks you do you know how fast you were going and you answer, yes, I was speeding - you automatically admited to speeding and he will now definately write you a ticket, whether he had that evidence to begin with or not. This is because you spoke - you were honest. Now you got an honest fine, an honest ticket, and an honest point on your license.

Another example, if you share your car with other people and you consent to a search - and should the officer find something illegal in the car - a baseball bat, a knife, some weed, open alcohol bottle in the backseat, whatever it maybe - you're the one in trouble now.

The theme is the same throughout. You have to protect yourself in these situations and the only few ways you can do it are to exercise your rights and being a "wise-ass" when it comes to knowing what you must cooperate with or not. You DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTION. And YOU MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE TO CONSENT TO ANY SEARCHES.

If any of you doubt this, keep speaking and saying "YES" to an officer next time you get pulled over. And good luck.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Instructor

I got respect for cops and people who risk their lives to protect ours. However, if your buddy pulled me over, he's either:

1) Has the evidence on me and will give me the ticket regardless

2) Has no evidence and wants me to admit to something

If it's number 1, it's done. I can't avoid this, no one can. If it's evidence fishing he's on, he will never get it from me and I will escape without any ticket. Others, who didn't have the same information I have, might not. That was the point of the post. The point of the post isn't to get you out of trouble when you're caught - it's to make sure you don't get into more trouble than you should.

No offense to you - asking your buddy about the post, of course he will disagree. He's a cop. But I doubt he can disagree with much of what I said - from the rights, from the way they operate with more arrests equaling better reputation, and the like. It's like going up to a sales person and asking - hey read this inside information, is this true? Can you tell me how to avoid paying more next time?

This is just good information to have. Your advice of being honest is great - but not in real world. If you think honesty will work in the courts, you're dead wrong. Ask any lawyers - not cops. The system is made with a lot of intricacies and honesty doesn't cure all ailments. Knowing your rights and sometimes not saying something the other party wants you to admit to goes further than saying what you think is right. And that's a fact few can disagree with.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Not Asian

This is the same as a "how to pick up chicks" list. Come on, it's all subjective, all cops are different. It's all about how they feel that day. I feel the best you can do, is be honest and courteous.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Not Asian

after that crap, a cop would give you a ticket out of spite.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by underst8
I agree we give cops way to much power where they don't need it. Example on the exhaust noise issue - unless the cop has a decibel meter and can measure how loud that exhaust is, he should not be allowed to write a ticket. what ever happened to reasonable doubt?
Reasonable doubt is a concept that applies to the judiciary. The police are only making the decision as to whether they have enough evidence to bother the courts with.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I now drive an accord....

Ive said it before and here it is again....cops are cocky bastards, at least everyone ive come in contact with. At least in this area all the traffic cops pretty much act like they are god and if you had better not give them more than a yes or no to any of their questions.

Perfect example...
I recently was pulled over for turning left in front of a cop. This is a blind intersection meaning when I am at the stop sign if I look right I can see a good distance no cars were coming. If I look left its a hillcrest so you can't see a car until it has crested the hill. So leaving work I stop and look both ways. Its clear, so I pull out and turn left. As im halfway across the cop comes over the hill, im already more than halfway across so I keep going. He turned around and came back and gave me a fine. I get to fight it Jan 10th in court
Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
MP90 uninstalled

I have got out of much much much worse with the truth. I Should have been put under the jail but I never ride around with drugs or anything illegal
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Back in a TL again.

i let a copper do a search once in my integra i had the farts all day and not the nice ones either. it smelled like someone took a shit and its still their, he got in the car for 10 seconds started coughing and let me go
Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced

I got pulled over in June doing 70 in a 45. It was my first speeding ticket ever. I have to agree, be polite and not cocky. I plead not guilty, and here in PA you go in front of the judge. He asked my why I plead not guilty and I told him I never had a ticket before and told him I was concerned about my insurance since it would have been 5 points. HE asked the trooper if it was ok to give me 5mph over and no points (a good PA law that lets the state get their $$ and you not getting any points on your record and the insurance company does not find out)and the tropper was fine with that. Went from a $178 fine to $110 and no points and I was ver thankful for that. It wasnt the money it was the points that I was worried about. I guess the bottom line is, watch your speed so you dont have to be in that situation, I sure as hell know I watch my speedo anymore lol
Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Back in a TL again.

i did like the option in my beemer i could set a speed and if i went over it gave me a "ding". I saved my ass several times.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Originally Posted by aunggu2002
I do agree with you - cops do have a lot of power, but sometimes for good reasons, I think. However, I should note, it is not illegal to say no to a search. In fact, it's your right to say no to illegal searches.
Key word here is illegal, good luck pinning that one on them, it will take forever and most will admit that its not worth the hassle unless your really interested in protecing your rights in a certain situation. In that case you better get one of those legal orgs to help you out.

Usually im just honest and polite saying sir in front and end of each sentence, like a little bitch haha. I usually turn on my interior lights dome etc if its dark since I realize that cops are always putting their life on the line and giving them a better view of me makes them feel safer.

I thought we were going to get shot almost when my brother was handing over his license and dropped it on the floor next to the driver door right in front of the officers hand. The cop kicked the license out as hes supposed to so he doesn't try and pik it up right next to you and possibly get hit wounded killed etc. The whole time im thinking OMG Bro what are you doing! Had the most pathetic Whoops ever suprised the cop didn't give us shit about that, although my brother was sincere it sounded so rigged haha.

I wish they would tone down their ego a little, if I try to contest a vehicle code with them some will scream and say "Where does it say that in the CVC book!?"
Usually when I hear this I give up and decide to take it up with the ref/judge preferable the cheaper one.

Its not bad but whoever is training them isn't doing the best job, they said my 05 CVC book was out of date then they hand me a pamphlet with my ticket with a bunch of CVC's to explain the ticket and on the pamphlet they're quoting 2004 CVC's That night the sheriffs in artesia were being hypocritical, some of them were ok some worse but overall I wasn't treated badly, maybe a little ignored and patronized but overall I lived.
small pic but you can still see the 05 and 04 numbers.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 PM
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE!

Example:

Officer- Do you know why I pulled you over?

You- Well surely to tell me how good my driving is.

Ticket...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Back in a TL again.

Originally Posted by NEVERSUMMER
Example:

Officer- Do you know why I pulled you over?

You- Well surely you haven't met your quota yet.

Ticket...

Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
140,000 miles young

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Reasonable doubt is a concept that applies to the judiciary. The police are only making the decision as to whether they have enough evidence to bother the courts with.
I get that. Alls I am saying is some cops don't know crap and will write you a ticket/summons when an exhaust is WELL within legal limits, like they don't give them training required to do their job, IE - "listen to these five cars with exhausts of varying loudness, and this one is over the limit."

In general I have much respect for cops and a lot of them are fine/nice guys, it's just when they act like they know everything and such that really gets me
Old 12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Instructor

lol. This is quiet funny. All I'm saying is if they CAN give you the ticket, they are going to anyways. No question about that. The point of the thread was to list some things not to do in the cases that they're just simply fishing for evidence. I mean, doesn't that make sense to anyone?

Your right to not be tricked into giving the wrong answers or saying no to searches when asked. These are advice any lawyers would give you. Whether you're wrong or not or doing something illegal or not, if they can bust you, they will, so why help them?

I guess it's just me. If you guys don't like the information, don't use it. Let me know how it goes next time you get pulled over and you start conversating about how fast you were going with the cop. Tell me how that goes.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 PM
AcuredCLS

iono the cops were i live would def think its a wise ass remark and i would definitly be in cuffs for saying "i do know how fast i was going"

the real answer is yes i know how fast i was going...the question is what took you so long
Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Advance

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
he got you on those XS headers huh?
Sure did and my AEM CAI that doesn't have a carb sticker on it for some reason? I bought it brand new and theres not a carb sticker on it.. bahhh
Old 12-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aunggu2002
A lot from real life exp - others from good sound sources. I didn't copy paste nothing - just thought you guys could benefit from some of the things said there. I thought you guys might be able to add your own tips to it also, not just flame and bash.

Happy holidays.
GOOD POST BUDDY , THANKS FOR SHARING.

Quick Reply: You're Being Pulled Over!! Now What Are You Going To Do??